Gibson Brands Forums

SJ200 Adi or Sitka?

jw3571

I'm trying to decide between a Adi or a Sitka SJ200. Unfortunately, I won't be able to play before I buy as no dealers around have them in stock. I have a few guitars and I've tended to like the Adi tops more, so I'm leaning towards that, but what are others opinions. I'm looking for that classic SJ200 sound.

Subjective...

I tend to like Sitka better, at least in Gibsons. I have played a few true vintage slopes, some Adi, some Sitka.... I have preferred the Sitka. Less harsh.

In my opinion I think adi tends to work nicely on smaller guitars. On a big SJ200 I fear adi would make the guitar like a big large brash woman who is always yelling at you. Telling you to take out the trash. Telling you you have too many guitars. Telling you you are a dope for buying a Taylot T5z.. Or something.

Hi I've only played three Addy topped guitars a Froggy Bottom Parlour, with I must admit a tone to die for and two Martins , again really nice guitars but with a price to match £5,000 + The one thing I did notice with the addy top was it was really really responsive to fingerstyle it seemed to compress and shout out .Sitka tops for me are the best , I like the way the dynamics respond . I have only played a flamed maple J200 back sides and neck with a Sitka top and loved it ,

Subjective...

I tend to like Sitka better, at least in Gibsons. I have played a few true vintage slopes, some Adi, some Sitka.... I have preferred the Sitka. Less harsh.

In my opinion I think adi tends to work nicely on smaller guitars. On a big SJ200 I fear adi would make the guitar like a big large brash woman who is always yelling at you. Telling you to take out the trash. Telling you you have too many guitars. Telling you you are a dope for buying a Taylot T5z.. Or something.

A guitar for the true masochist?

Normally, I'd take Adi over sitka. Not on a J 200 maple, though. Sitka would be my choice. Those big maple J 200s just have a lush quiet sort of piano-like sound that I think only works with a warmer top like sitka. I sometimes wish my J 200 was louder or more forceful, but then that sound of has just melts me and I think it's perfect. BTW I have to thank Juan Carlos for convincing me to go ahead and buy one. Thanks JC

Normally, I'd take Adi over sitka. Not on a J 200 maple, though. Sitka would be my choice. Those big maple J 200s just have a lush quiet sort of piano-like sound that I think only works with a warmer top like sitka. I sometimes wish my J 200 was louder or more forceful, but then that sound of has just melts me and I think it's perfect. BTW I have to thank Juan Carlos for convincing me to go ahead and buy one. Thanks JC

Gary,

Glad to see you again. You need to post more, brother. You always bring good stuff.

FMA

My pleasure.

To the OP ...Sitka goes well with maple.But Gibson has also done some rosewoos/sitka guitars.

I would encourage you to play both :D

I love my 2007 J 200 lefty (sitka/maple) .I use light gauge strings on it so it's not super loud ...But the sound is just sweet!

JC

Maple is a stiff wood that yields a powerful transparent sound. The top wood is not going to color it that much, so sitka would be fine. On a hog back, which is a softer, the stiffer Adi top produces more headroom, attack and sustain. The difference between brown ale and a robust porter. On a good Rosewood guitar, like an D28GE or OM28v, you get a little extra clarity and punch. Like a deep red wine.

I think that the individual piece of spruce is more important than whether it is Sitka, Adirondack, European, etc. Stiffness and density variy dramatically, even within the same species.

That said, a nice piece of Adirondack can sound clear and warm on a good maple guitar. A case in point, my 2006 Kim Walker maple/Adirondack SJ:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQjLMX8bNSI

Archived