Gibson Brands Forums

BEWARE! Political Observation.

Homz

What the hell is wrong with Obama? First, he seems to have problems finding cabinet posts that have actually paid their taxes. Secondly, why the hell does he care if he gets GOP support for his incentive programs. After the way they jerked him in the House of (worthless) Representatives why bother with the Republican ******s in the Senate.

Hey Mr. President I volunteer and I paid my taxes.

people expect this great CHANGE,

oh there will be quite the CHANGE in the next few years, but not for the better like everyone thinks, he wont be able to do much, people need to realize that its the whole system that needs changing, not just bringing in some new guy

people forget that there is a handful of rich ****s who litterally are in charge of the WORLD

take advantage of your gun laws today before they change,

Kind of funny considering that:

1. he ran a campaign stating that he would fill his cabinet with honest people

2. he said you can't "rearrange deck chairs" in Washington. Meaning that he was going to bring in people from outside Washington. So far, all we've seen from him is the SAME old THEIVING politicians that we ousted years ago.

Hmmm, now that's change I can believe in.

He also said he wouldn't sign a stimulus bill with pork in it. The truth of the matter would be funny if it were not so tragic.

He also made a lot of noise about the need for infrastructure work. The latest 900 Billion Dollar boondoggle has about 5% of the money going to infrastructure work.

All this money he and congress are squandering is simply a long list of Democrat initiatives that they want to fund. They are playing Santa Claus to their base.

If you're a Democrat currently enthused by Obama, keep in mind that the worst thing for the Democrats would be for the Republicans to have little or no influence on today's economic proceedings. Strong, consistent opposition by the Republicans will virtually guarantee a major pro-Republican shake-up in Congressional elections in 2010, and then again in 2012.

They are playing Santa Claus to their base.

Careful, RudyH, you and I are committing blasphemy! There are millions of people who really think this guy is the "messiah." Hell, even Pelosi said so.

So far, the only change I've seen is that he's trying to make our GOV even bigger than Bush made it.

Obamas under alot of pressure to perform. Hes been put on this huge, high pedestal.

Right now as predicted the "Honeymoon" stage is coming to a close.

I still thinks hes the man for the job. I have every confidence in him and his cabinet.

Dont forget, he inherited many problems from the Bush administration.

I've heard the "pressure to perform" argument. I'm not sure what to make of it. In any case, I wish Obama would consult at least one economist before making decisions. Everything he's done so far is just candy for people afflicted with short-term thinking.

I've heard the "pressure to perform" argument. I'm not sure what to make of it. In any case' date=' I wish Obama would consult at least one economist before making decisions. Everything he's done so far is just candy for people afflicted with short-term thinking. [/quote']

It´s like this all over the world. Even economists don´t know what to do. Ask 4 and get 5 opinions out of them. Give Obama a chance. It´ll take years to change anything and to find out whether he is the right man for the job or not.

Kurt

Obamas under alot of pressure to perform. Hes been put on this huge' date=' high pedestal.

I still thinks hes the man for the job. I have every confidence in him and his cabinet.

Dont forget, he inherited many problems from the Bush administration.[/quote']

I agree.

Kurt:

That's an unfortunate misperception originating not from economists but from politicians. Most economists agree that the best thing is for government to cease doing things that create uncertainty in the markets. For example, creating basis for the heavy inflation that is about to come. Economists who testify before congress or advise politicians typically regard the exercise as a waste of time because they never tell the politicians what they want to hear so they are ignored.

The essential problem is that a politician's time horizon extends no further than the next election, and therefore short-term thinking is applied consistently. That's why, for example, politicians are always finding money for things like new bridges instead of finding money to maintain existing bridges. Economists think in terms of long-term effects of behavior and policy. The two points of view don't mix very well.

I find it interesting that even Karl Marx wrote of the style of current economic behavior of Obama and Congress as "crack brained".

Obamas under alot of pressure to perform. Hes been put on this huge' date=' high pedestal.

Dont forget, he inherited many problems from the Bush administration.[/quote']

Which Bush inherited from the Clinton administration who inherited from the Bush admin and on and on. It's not any one administrations fault, but a combination of all of them which we elected so we could say that we are as much to blame - perhaps not as much, but we have played a part.

Nice touch with the revisionist historic point there. Speaking only for myself I do so love the ability of select groups to rewrite history. I'd say it shows a good imagination, but we all know you just herd it on either Fox News, Rush or the Heritage Foundation Website. That or someone else got it there and told you.

Note:great care was taken not to point directly at the object or objects of this post. If you think I am talking about you. I probably am.

IMHO, the world economy and the US economy are too complex for anyone to really affect except around the edges. A rule or tweak brought about to cause change in one area, always causes some unwanted or unforeseen change in other areas. Look back through history to see what I'm talking about.

There is no one person or group to blame for what we are experiencing now, the problems we see now are the results of 60+ years of meddling in the markets. Since WWII the stated goal of the US government (repubs, dems, and independents) has been to increase the number of folks buying their own homes. Home ownership has been considered the best way to build personal and generational wealth. Rules were created by, changed by and bent/broken by elected officials, appointed officials and private institutions over several generations.

Obama has no more chance of fixing our problems than did Bush 1 or 2, or Clinton, or Reagan, etc. The Congress writes laws not the president. The problem we have now is worldwide partially due to the creative banking and lack of regulations on the mortgage industry. Creative derivatives and crooked ratings agencies allowed the toxic mortgages to be sold and spread worldwide. Foreign bankers and investors are too blame as well for making greedy uninformed investments.

The US law that could be blamed for this mortgage/derivative mess was proposed and written by a republican, but passed by both parties who in large part agreed with the need to deregulate. It was signed by Bill Clinton.

IMHO' date=' the world economy and the US economy are too complex for anyone to really affect except around the edges. A rule or tweak brought about to cause change in one area, always causes some unwanted or unforeseen change in other areas. Look back through history to see what I'm talking about.

There is no one person or group to blame for what we are experiencing now, the problems we see now are the results of 60+ years of meddling in the markets. Since WWII the stated goal of the US government (repubs, dems, and independents) has been to increase the number of folks buying their own homes. Home ownership has been considered the best way to build personal and generational wealth. Rules were created by, changed by and bent/broken by elected officials, appointed officials and private institutions over several generations.

Obama has no more chance of fixing our problems than did Bush 1 or 2, or Clinton, or Reagan, etc. The Congress writes laws not the president. The problem we have now is worldwide partially due to the creative banking and lack of regulations on the mortgage industry. Creative derivatives and crooked ratings agencies allowed the toxic mortgages to be sold and spread worldwide. Foreign bankers and investors are too blame as well for making greedy uninformed investments.

The US law that could be blamed for this mortgage/derivative mess was proposed and written by a republican, but passed by both parties who in large part agreed with the need to deregulate. It was signed by Bill Clinton.

[/quote']

Damn, KSG that was surprisingly insightful I have no argument with any of it. See you don't need to copy/paste all your thoughts. +1 to all the above points.

I will say that perhaps Obama does a slightly better chance then the previous bunch of losers. Two reasons. One he is attempting to do so (at least that's the perception) and secondly we're near the bottom and thus there's more room in the up direction then the down. I suspect it will be down for awhile longer though.

IMHO

Archived