Gibson Brands Forums

Mediums on a SJ200

jw3571

I prefer lights on a long scale ( fingerpicking...).. then there are strummers ( rhythm) that feel the boom is where its at with mediums.. J200s are a loud guitar.. sometimes to loud.. :)

Absolutely mediums, regardless of your picking style. That's a 17" top your are trying to get moving there. The extra pull from a heavier string will help draw the sound out of it. With lights, it just won't have the attack and output. Not horrible, but lacking. Helps, too , if you use picks to accentuate your attack. A similar principle applies to my National, both re string gauge and picks.

I prefer lights on a long scale ( fingerpicking...)..
Oms or Dreds? Dreds imo also benefit from mediums due to the size of the top you are trying to activate. I once tried a D18v the shop had set with lights, then switched to mediums. Turned an airy, ok guitar into a punchy dynamic instrument. For light brushy, gentle picks and strums, it might not matter so much, but it would still not be the full voice of the instrument.

Oms or Dreds? Dreds imo also benefit from mediums due to the size of the top you are trying to activate. I once tried a D18v the shop had set with lights, then switched to mediums. Turned an airy, ok guitar into a punchy dynamic instrument. For light brushy, gentle picks and strums, it might not matter so much, but it would still not be the full voice of the instrument.

This is my preference using lights.. For myself I just find it easier to play. as for others mediums are the way to go.. each there own I guess..

This is my preference using lights.. For myself I just find it easier to play... each there own I guess..
Fair enough. But short of getting carpel tunnel, it might be worthwhile enough to try mediums and see what that bad boy can do.

I have to have mediums on my J-200. Lights are just way to thin on that big top. I agree with the others about getting that top moving.

I understand everyone is different and some old fingers may need a break, but lights are a "no go" on a J-200.

I have to have mediums on my J-200. Lights are just way to thin on that big top. I agree with the others about getting that top moving.

I understand everyone is different and some old fingers may need a break, but lights are a "no go" on a J-200.

I put Elixir PB Nanoweb HD Lights on my SJ200. It is just the right balance. Since lights are way too thin on the top end (.012, .016, .024), the HD's beef up the high strings but leave the lower three alone. It is like buying a set of mediums and a set of lights and putting on the upper mediums and the lower lights.

Light .012 .016 .024 .032 .042 .053

HD Light .013 .017 .025 .032 .042 .053

Medium .013 .017 .026 .035 .045 .056

I put Elixir PB Nanoweb HD Lights on my SJ200. It is just the right balance. Since lights are way too thin on the top end (.012, .016, .024), the HD's beef up the high strings but leave the lower three alone. It is like buying a set of mediums and a set of lights and putting on the upper mediums and the lower lights.

Interesting. I find the bottom end just right with lights but would consider going heavier on the top end.

That is interesting...kind of an inverse bluegrass blend. Huh...

We should arrange to exchange leftovers 'cause I do the opposite!

Archived