Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SG Classic Bridge Pickup Replacement and Amp Questions????

Ilyena

Hi, I have a lovely 2001 Gibson SG Classic in Ebony Stain but I'm not too keen on the bridge pickup. It does a so, so job clean and distorted but that's why I want to replace it as it's neither here nor there!! I looked under the pickgurad last night and it's only routed for a P90 pickup. I was hoping to stick a humbucker in there but I'm not messing with the body of the guitar. I've checked Seymour Duncan's website and listened to a couple of samples but nothing really grabbed my attention really. So, can anybody recommend a decent P90 replacement? I'm into stuff like The Mars Volta, Muse,Smashing Pumpkins, Radiohead, RHCP, QOTSA etc.

On another note, I currently play through an Ashdown Peacemaker Class A 20 watt combo. I bought it for a good price about 2 years ago but it's not that inspiring either (I sound like a right whinger I know :D ). Does anybody have an SG Classic and amp which their really happy with? I've been thinking of the Orange AD5 or a Vox AC15.

I don't play out, just for my own pleasure, so I'm after a practice amp. I've also owned a Roland Cube 20x which was ok but I didn't see the point of having a really good guitar and a crappy modelling amp so I sold it.

You definitely want to keep P-90's in that guitar! Don't get me wrong, I love my SG's with humbuckers, but don't give up on the P-90's! They ARE capable of anything you wanna' throw at 'em, just may take a little tweaking to get it right. There are a lot of copies out there that are good and may give you more warmth in the guitar. The two I've heard the best results from are GFS' P-90 copy (which is vintage-voiced and -powered, but has more soul or something), and Kent Armstrong's high-output P-90 (louder, not as much meat to the sound though). Keep in mind a lot of the music you're into tends to lean more towards true humbucker (LPs, SGs, etc) or "Fender-y" single-coil (Teles, Strats) sounds, and some have a LOT of stuff between guitar and amp. So in all honesty, with a stompbox or two, hell, the Classic may be great as-is (ever tweaked the polepieces on the pickup a little? It CAN make a difference).

For instance, a buddy of mine (who, coincidentally turned me on to the same pedal for my own rig) has a similar class-A "low watt" amp, and puts a Boss Blues Driver in front (gain and volume at 12 o'clock, tone at about 9 o'clock), and has an EQ pedal so when he switches from his humbucker-equipped SG to his LP Junior (P-90) it compensates a bit for the different outputs/timbres. Total success, and the guitars are stock. You're right though, some of those "uber-cool" boutique amps and high-end/low-tech tone beasts can sometimes be one-trick-ponies; which is fine if that's all you need/want out of them, but when you need more variety, they're not gonna' cut it. The VOX AC-15 is a truly sweet amp on its own, but to really acheive the versatility you're looking for you'll have to have at least a boost-pedal/OD of some sort to make best use of dynamics and whatnot. It's worth experimenting with, that's for sure.

H-Bomb

Hi hbomb76,

thanks for the reply!! You're right, best not to change the P90's. I think it's most likely my amp as I haven't been happy with it for ages. I've changed all the valves/tubes but it still isn't that inspiring. My SG has been recently setup and I have altered a couple of the pole pieces since e.g. the high e as it what a lot quieter than the other strings. I'll look into the Blues Driver or some sort of boost pedal before I buy a new amp though - thanks for the suggestion.

I'm probably asking a bit much from one guitar to cover all those styles. I suppose the perfect setup for me woud be a Les Pal Standard and a Strat but that's out of the question - I could barely afford the SG!! I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks again!!!

I think I've found my solution. I've stumbled across the Vox AC4 whilst checking out the Orange amps forum of all places. I didn't even know it was being made but I checked the spec, listened to a sample on Youtube and the price is very wallet friendly. I think they are due to be realeased in March '09.

Archived