Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul ES with no F holes??

Rabs

So I happened across this vid.. Its titled My New Memphis ES.. But when I saw the picture there was no F holes???

And I looked at the main site and couldn't find it... It has an almost flat top. So I wonder. Is it the same as my chambered LP 2008 or made like a proper semi but just with no F holes..

Kinda odd. Very nice though

I know I can't speak for anyone else, and I know Gibson must be plugged into what the people want, but first of all, a semi-hollow, IS an ES, and what the hell is the deal with "making guitars lighter"?

I don't want my Les Paul lighter. If that's what I wanted, I'd get a PRS or something else. I wan't a damn solid guitar, mahogany body, maple top and two good humbuckers. What the hell is going on these days?

Have you ever personally heard of anyone complaining about the weight of a Gibson. I know guys will pick it up, and say "that's heavy" but it's not a complaint. How many bass players do you hear complaining about the wieght of their basses, usually a hell of a lot heavier than a Gibson.

I hope they dont change everyting to stupidity. If you want to introduce a new product don't call a Kharmen Ghia a Mustang.

I recall a Zappa interview way back in the day where he was talking about the weight of a Les Paul and how

it affected his singing. He said because he wasn't a great singer it was hard for him to carry the weight and

breath comfortably making breath control harder. And Frank was a small guy. There is still tons of shots of him playing Les Pauls but I think I

recall him saying in that interview that he prefers to sit while playing them.

So ya, I have heard of people complaining about the weight.

I'm old and sore now and if I'm standing holding my Les Paul for 3 hours I freakin know about it.

I take my light old Hamer to jams if I'm going to be standing for long periods.

But I do hear what you are saying. I wouldn't be calling that an ES either.

It aint no ES, it's a semi hollow Les Paul.

That's not to say I wouldn't mind trying it. I really like my heavy slab but I would be ok with a light version.

Being that there are only 100 I won't have to worry about it though.

I liked the tones Rob demonstrated. Especially the clean one. The gainy one just proved that it can still be a proper LP.

I prefer the look of f holes but could be swayed if the sound was better (to my ears).

What am I saying?! I cant afford something like that :o !

• 3 years later...

This has been my number 1 guitar since I got it at the end of 2016. I currently own some vintage and newer Gibson’s, and the ESLP Standard with no f homes remains my number 1 for a number of reasons. You 100% get the best of both worlds with it.  If you close your eyes and I ramp up the dirt, you’d have a hard time telling it apart from my 99 custom. I can clean it up, and immediately you’d hear the ES lineage.  It’s hands down one of the most comfortable beck profiles I’ve ever had. Yes, I’ve played hundreds of different guitars over the years so I’m truly speaking from a position of actually experiencing other guitars. Guitars just like anything else in life are subjective, I get it. What’s good for you might not be good for me....that said, Gibson got it right with this hidden gem. 100% of the people who have played my ESLP over the past 3 years were amazed at the comfort, playability, and versatility. 

I paid a **** ton through sweetwater ($2600), it was the 2nd new guitar I bought since 1985. It was worth it, and I’d do it all over again. 

Before judging this hybrid beast, come on over and play it for a while, you might be surprised!

AAB9E6E7-0B58-4507-ADC1-A27883396282.jpeg

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve posted this photo several times before, but it still show the best explanation of how the ES LP’s are constructed. Not having “F” holes might be an advantage with avoiding feedback similar to the BB King model.

SvM92hd.png

• Like 1

That is the same as my Gibson ES Les Paul's.  Similar or same as my Gibson ES335.. 

Previous Chambered LP's varied... So there is obviously a difference..

I have no problem with Feedback.. I like that I can get it when I want it... 

Nothing against non F Hole Guitars.. Gibson &. Gretsch mainly.. I like them too. They get a different Sound.. 

I was impressed when I found out that they used mahogany for the center block on the ES LP’s vs maple like is used in the other ES models. Even though there is very little center block in the ES LP’s, mahogany would likely make it sound more like a Les Paul. My ‘74 Les Paul Signature has a “T” shaped maple block down the center.

• Like 1

With all due respect to those that like them, I don't.  I don't see how anyone can call them the "best of both worlds" as the certainly do not have the "best" of a solid body LP,  nor the best of a 335.  In reality, I think it it is a compromise of both.  This applies to the ES-LP s with and w/o f-holes.  Sure they have an "in between" sound that if someone likes it, fine.  But it is not something that can't be covered by a 335 and an LP.  And my guess is that is why they don't sell any better.   Seems proponents always talk about how light it is.  That seems to be the main selling point.  BL is that a light LP strays far enough from a real LP to not really be an LP.  The outline shape is not what makes an LP an LP. 

On December 10, 2019 at 4:54 AM, Wmachine said:

With all due respect to those that like them, I don't.  I don't see how anyone can call them the "best of both worlds" as the certainly do not have the "best" of a solid body LP,  nor the best of a 335.  In reality, I think it it is a compromise of both.  This applies to the ES-LP s with and w/o f-holes.  Sure they have an "in between" sound that if someone likes it, fine.  But it is not something that can't be covered by a 335 and an LP.  And my guess is that is why they don't sell any better.   Seems proponents always talk about how light it is.  That seems to be the main selling point.  BL is that a light LP strays far enough from a real LP to not really be an LP.  The outline shape is not what makes an LP an LP. 

I think my F hole Gibson Memphis Blacktop ES Les Paul with MHS Pickups & Bigsby fits perfectly with Gibson ES 335 & my Gibson Les Paul Standard. Also my Gibson Les Paul Special with P90's...  Truly great Sound & Tone can be had with all of them...

I can't wait til Gibson reissues the F hole ES Les Paul Gold Top with P90's & Bigsby. I'll be first in line! Played one when I got my Blacktop ESLP & wanted them both! But didn't have the $$$$. Then the Gibson BK....... Ending Production on lots of Models.....

Edited by Larsongs
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have one.  It is a FANTASTIC guitar.

I'm a big fan of Mick Taylor, and that open, warm, airy, mid-gain tone.   This delivers.

The maple cap without F-holes gives it all the high-end one would expect from a Les Paul, and dialed back, it has a warmth and depth that isn't quite the same as an ES (any model) with F-holes, but more than a solid or chambered Les Paul.  I own and have owned solid, chambered, and ES (with F hole) Les Pauls,  356 and a 335, mostly custom shop, so I've explored this pretty thoroughly.  This guitar as different as those are from each other.   It has it's own place in the spectrum of guitars mentioned above, and it's definitely a really nice place to be.   And it is definitely VERSATILE AF.  I'm a big fan of Mick Taylor, and that open, warm, airy, mid-gain tone.   This delivers.  Cranked up it stays "creamy."  Cleaned up, the neck pickup sounds more like a jazz guitar than any LP I've played.

The neck is thicker than I prefer (more of a slim 60's profile), but I'm not going to alter a guitar when only 100 were sold in the US and 350 world-wide.    I'm a big fan of Mick Taylor, and that open, warm, airy, mid-gain tone.   This delivers.

It's its own thing.  And it's awesome.

On 3/30/2016 at 5:06 PM, SteveFord said:

For those who have the Les Paul ES, are you experiencing any feedback problems?

I have a Gibson Memphis Blacktop ES Les Paul with Bigsby… It is Semi Hollow & is constructed like an ES335 with a Center Block… I have 0 feedback issues.. It has MHS Pickups, sounds great & weighs 7 1/2 lbs… 

I wish they’d reintroduce them.. I wanted a Goldtop with P90’s & Bigsby but they were discontinued & sold out in a minute…

The ES Les Pauls are one of Gibsons best! 

Edited by Larsongs