Gibson Brands Forums

Noob trying to ID 2 guitars

Hi - noob here. trying to ID 2 of my uncles guitars.

One is an epi deluxe natural a211 Serial A-3451

The second is a Gibson Es-175 SN a25012

would love to hear from the brain trust any info you guys might know about these machines, year, factoids, value (not really interested in selling but just curious of course)

really any info would be great. I'm having a hard time figuring this out on my own.

thanks so much in advance.

Photos always help, and are almost necessary for these type inquiries, but.....

From the Gibson side:

A-25012, is a Gibson serial number originally used in the first half of 1957. But,... the "A" numbers have also been used for "reissues".

1957 is also the beginning of the transition period from P-90 pickups to humbuckers. An early '57 would most likely have P-90's.

The mfg date code from the potentiometers is also helpful, but not easily read inside an archtop. A dental mirror and flashlight (and luck) may facilitate this.

Post a set of clear detailed photos and any further info you can, and we can nail this down for you.

The Epiphone Deluxe dates to 1960, and is quite rare. According to Joe Vinikow of Archtop.com, only 14 of these were made with a natural finish: https://www.archtop.com/ac_59dlx.html

The '57 ES-175 is also very nice. Classic model, and this is one of the most desirable incarnations of it. If that pickup ("p.a.f." humbucker) is original to the guitar, it will add a lot to the value.

The Epiphone Deluxe dates to 1960, and is quite rare. According to Joe Vinikow of Archtop.com, only 14 of these were made with a natural finish: https://www.archtop.com/ac_59dlx.html

The '57 ES-175 is also very nice. Classic model, and this is one of the most desirable incarnations of it. If that pickup ("p.a.f." humbucker) is original to the guitar, it will add a lot to the value.

thank you. that is some great info. ill try and dig up some info on my uncle in the next few days, he was a really interesting cat; professional musician, actor, etc . . .

Both very, very nice indeed; but the Epiphone (needs some new strings just a bit) is a stunning piece...

hahah - yes the strings are pretty bad, and thank you . . .

this was my uncles band. they played in vegas alot, and sinatra, the rat pack and louis prima would often come to their show after their own.

my uncle is dominic on the far right.

the%20vagabonds_zpsij5ornsu.jpg

Archived