Gibson Brands Forums

Zappa teaches you things

Searcy

After belonging to union shops and non union shops, I agree with him 100% on unions.

I never get tired of Frank.

LOL...great argument by Zappa there...including the correct use of that phrase.

I also have worked for union and non-union shops. I am here to tell you, not all unions are like that, and regardless of that, there IS in-fighting within unions themselves on that particular philosophy.

Granted, it's a little easier with construction unions, because of the easy turnaround. So those that take the philosophy as Mr. Zappa has accused unions of, they get to be on the out-of-work list.

In fact, I have sent them home myself, personally. And when the union even hints at coming after me/us, they ain't got a leg to stand on. And they don't pursue. Hard work/earning your way trumps freeloading/under-performing within unions just the same as it does union vs non-union.

I support your right to be wrong about unions 100%. [thumbup]

I get tested randomly, and I pass every time.

I guess an UP side for you...you don't have to worry about some drunk or stoned guy building your building.

NOT that I think it's always such a big deal. Just if you are getting paid for it, should at least be sober.

Or maybe a new scale- 10% inebriated should be 10% reduction in wage?

Unions have there place and can work........in theory.....problem is corruption from the higher ups and abuse of system from the lower downs .....in a non union print shop I got let go first because I was there the longest and was paid the most and they were desperately cutting funds......then went to a union print shop and got let go because I was low in seniority but the people who where the long timers were lazy and did nothing............could have used a union in the first place and not in the second place.

He played with no slouches. His bands can start and stop on a dime.

Lots could then, lots can now. Lots of people ran bands, it cost the same to take them all out, somebody was responsible for all of them.

rct

Unions have there place and can work........in theory.....problem is corruption from the higher ups and abuse of system from the lower downs .....

That's an issue, but that occurs regardless of union or non-union. Corruption and abuse happens, or can happen anywhere.

It's not really fair to blame unions, or call them corrupt. Blame the corrupt people for, they hurt not only the union they are working for, but the companies the union workers hire to.

Same with lay people. They may get protection from the union, but it's temporary. Eventually if they don't get weeded out, EVERYBODY in that union will pay the price when the company decides to go non-union. Unions that go out for that reason get what they deserve.

Archived