Gibson Brands Forums

Music was so much better back when...

Searcy

There was so much innovation, music was constantly moving forward and evolving, now it seems as though all you have is rap (not really very musical) and Simon Cowell's creations. Young people were innovative and wanted to rebel but now all the want is the latest iPhone. I think I'm starting to sound like my Dad [confused]

Ian

ya, you got a point..

like this for example,

they don't make em like this anymore.. (oh wait, this album was released last week... never mind...)

I don't know what I like better, his guitar or vocals. I realize he is famous for his guitar abilities, however I love his vocals just as much.

I don't know what I like better, his guitar or vocals. I realize he is famous for his guitar abilities, however I love his vocals just as much.

his voice has definitely matured, and he's learned exactly how to use it.

I had the pleasure to be in the crowd at the Wang Center in Boston, Jan 2015 he came around with the "Different Shades of Blue" tour. This guy is non-stop for 2+ solid hours (1 ten minute break to change over from the acoustic to the electric set tho)

the guy is a machine right now..

Oh what.. this topic again [rolleyes] [rolleyes]

I think its been established that theres good and bad stuff no matter what decade it is.... You just gotta go look for it.

Jack White is one of my favourite modern artists

And theres nowt wrong with a bit of ABBA.. Well written songs.. and errrm, nice legs ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OOrleE6wfc

Oh Lord, here we go, again! :rolleyes:[biggrin] Every era has had great music, and great artists!

While I am partial to "the Sixties and early 70's (before Disco) music, as it was the music

of my youth, and made the longest lasting impact/impression, on me, I don't deny there was

great stuff being done, in all subsequent eras. They may (or may not) be more elusive,

than back then, because "radio" was king, then...and, it is not, anymore. So, you have to

do a bit more searching, these days. But, I feel like there are a LOT of great players,

artists, and music, these days. Technology, while helpful, a lot of time, has also allowed

less "talented" or maybe more lazy "artists" to flourish, when they wouldn't have been able

to do so, as much, back then. Live shows, then, were truly "Live" and as such, somewhat less

predictable. What you saw, was what you got! Now..."Who knows?" for sure.

What I find myself objecting to, most, is the "cookie cutter" variety/approach, in "Pop" and

"Pop-Country" music. Jazz, Blues, and other "roots music," will always have and interest for me.

So, I tend (these days) to stick to those, and "Classical," when going beyond my favorite "Classic Rock!"

Cheers,

CB

There's a local DJ here (Uncle Joe Benson) who has a "ten at ten" show each day on the radio. From 10 to 11 each day, they pick 10 songs in a "theme" from a given year and play them. His intro usually says something along the lines of "this is when they used real musicians, and actually sang...no auto tune".

Taylor Swift and Justin Bieber come to mind as serial offenders.

I would agree with others though, that there is both good and bad music in each generation.

Club Mardi Gras, North Woodbury(almost Westville) NJ. My band was in there, two, three weekends a month, Thursday - Saturday, 9pm - 2am, for a year and a half or so. Saturday nights Miss Vicki danced. She was married to Tiny Tim, this period was the end of that marriage, they had a daughter. Good times, I can put on a guitar today and look to my right and see her dancing between me and Gene and Billy, the singers. I was 17.

rct

Archived