Gibson Brands Forums

Upmarket J45

58 Relic

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/2016/J-45-Red-Spruce-Figured-Mahogany-Special.aspx

Hi looking on the Gibson website and saw this . Seems a really nice version with some nice additions msp_thumbup.gif GAS I fear is just around the corner

Looks cool! I know this has been beaten to death, but why not call it a J-50 since it is not a burst? [unsure]

The most curious of the guitar's features: "Finer grit sandpaper and polishing compounds are used for a high-gloss finish."

Why would a company confess in public that on its production models that feature a high-gloss finish, it stops short of using the finishing materials necessary to render a proper high-gloss finish?

Ha! Good point. It does make it sound like they are saying "Yeah, remember that old high-gloss finish we put out? It was really a bad job, wasn't it?". ;)

Precisely. The explicit point is that for a bit of extra money, Gibson promises a proper finish. A very strange marketing tactic.

that's not what they are saying though.

It's not that this limited model has a better finish than standard production models.

The point is that this year all of the guitars have a nicer looking finish than in the past. They changed the methods this year on everything. If you look at other 2016 models (standard production) then you will see it listed there too.

No need to stir the pot and poke at them for bad things that they haven't done.

We are all ok with improvements done across the entire line.... right?

Keith

I have an old sales rep friend that use to tell me stories about showing up for sales meetings and finding more marketing people at the table than production and sales people. This sounds like one of those situations. Sounds like a grasping at straws kind of move to me too.

I'm with the original poster and Keith. Why all the Gibson negativity and unflattering comments? This looks like an incredible guitar. I would love to check one out!

Bo

A few folks complain about the plastic bridge pins that come with all models - and I'm guessing some of them would complain if Gibson started putting bone pins on across all models.

Was it P.T. Barnum or W.C. Fields that said "You can please all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time - but you can't please all of the people all of the time.".

It's OK, but I guess I'm too much of a traditionalist to appreciate the pearly-ablam Gibson headstock logo, inlay around the soundhole, and fingerboard dots.

The adi top's OK but I just prefer sitka on J-45-50s. And don't get me started on the b&S.

No doubt this guitar'll appeal to some and I bet it sounds pretty good too, just not for me.

A few folks complain about the plastic bridge pins that come with all models - and I'm guessing some of them would complain if Gibson started putting bone pins on across all models.

Was it P.T. Barnum or W.C. Fields that said "You can please all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time - but you can't please all of the people all of the time.".

Wish I could remember the quote's source. Whoever said it, the application here is likely appropriate. Bridge pins and tuners and electronics - OH MY! No objections to anybody changing to whatever makes a guitar work better for them - I've sure done enough of that - but out-of-the-box has to start somewhere.

Gibson.....The company we love to hate, or so it seems at times :unsure:

Gibson guitars have something nobody else's have, IMHO, and the closest I've ever come to putting a label on it is SOUL. Throughout the flat-top line, back as far as you can go, there it is. If they suddenly became homogenized/white-bread/predictable they wouldn't be Gibsons. We all do our share of grumbling and complaining about the downside of new and old production alike - decades hence, for example, the adj bridge is still debated - but without the variations, individual quirks, and personalities of the instruments how many of us would be reading/adding to a forum such as this or regarding our guitars as we do? The "well, I can always get another one like it" mentality has always been a part of my involvement with, say, Martin instruments, but it never applies to my Gibsons!

I think head to head the Standard J-45 with bone nut, saddle, and pins will sound better, and at a better price. The guitar they pictured is however stunning. Very pretty. It does kind of remind me of a Martin D-28 in a way just on appearance.

When you put the word "Limited Edition" on anything the price goes up... Cars, guitars, clothing, jewelry. So I get it. It is supposed to be special. I don't fault Gibson at all here, I am just saying that I bet a solid J-45 standard will beat this one.

Another point is Its a different tonewood here so one guitar to another might not be a fair comparison because each will sound different, in their own way. Maybe Paul Decker at Music Villa will do a head to head for us!!

[thumbup]

Archived