Gibson Brands Forums

Identify this blue lefty Gibson SG

Hi, first post here, hopefully this is the place to get this guitar identified or shed a bit more light on it. Ive seen a guitar im interested in purchasing.

Its a secondhand gibson SG left handed blue/teal colour.Its being sold as an sg standard model ,it has dot inlays. its a 2001 serial number. the seller says that the pickup covers have been removed.

now I thought dot inlays were associated with specials rather the standards,but the scratchplate looks like a standard model, maybe, it also has orangey volume tone knobs, which may or may not be original. Ive compared to similar looking models online, usually a 2002 righthanded version which is usually sold as a special.

so im a bit confused, is it a special or a standard? how much was it originally sold for? what pickups does it have?

IF it is a standard sg as im told then i suppose its a good price but why does it have dot inlays and why would you remove the pickup cases, but if it is a special then it should be a lot cheaper maybe and its being sold under the wrong name!

any help would be appreciated and i do love the guitar, but i want to know exactly what im getting.

Hello and welcome to the Forums.

It's a Special in blue teal flip-flop finish. It was made between 2001 and 2005 only. A very fragile finish made by BASF, people often complained about flaking.

The guitar's specs are typical SG - nothing extraordinary about it besides the finish.

It is offered below 1000 USD these days.

Bence.

Hello LeftyJ, and welcome to this nice place in the web.

I think this is not an SG Standard. As you already pointed out, she should have block inlays. Furthermore the fretboard should be bound. She looks like a Special to me, and the price should be based accordingly. Could also be an SG Faded.

EDIT: I think Bence aka btoth cleared it up already. Sorry for the time overlap.

Hello and welcome to the Forums.

It's a Special in blue teal flip-flop finish. It was made between 2001 and 2005 only. A very fragile finish made by BASF, people often complained about flaking.

The guitar's specs are typical SG - nothing extraordinary about it besides the finish.

It is offered below 1000 USD these days.

Bence.

ok thanks for your input, yes i cant see why it isnt an special, the only thing majorly different to those 2002 models ive seen a few of online are the knobs, which i have to assume are changed, or only specific to the 2001 lefthanded versions?

I assume that if the seller ( a respected guitar shop in london) is listing it as a standard , then thats surely quite bad, and that the price should be reduced by possibly a couple of hundred pounds!

also the fret board starting more near the neck has quite a change in colour, is that a bad thing?

I think Bence aka btoth cleared it up already

Yes, sounds right to me also. I just seen one, didn't play it but the finish does kinda make it stand out. Welcome to the forum.

people often complained about flaking.

That I wasn't aware of but I believe it.

the seller says that the pickup covers have been removed.

I doubt that it came with covers though I have no doubts they would look good on that SG.

the only thing majorly different to those 2002 models ive seen a few of online are the knobs, which i have to assume are changed, or only specific to the 2001 lefthanded versions?

I don't think so as they are pretty consistent with all Black or the regular SG knobs you see on Standards. Those LP knobs look good above on the SG though. I've seen many changes with the knobs which some look really good like above and others eh, not so much.

also the fret board starting more near the neck has quite a change in colour, is that a bad thing?

No its appearance over function and structural concerns. I don't know about the price but it seems to me if indeed its a reputable dealer then they would know the difference between a Standard and a Special. But who knows what happened. I find the idea they KNOW the pick-up covers were removed suspect among other points, it means they took the guitar apart and indeed should be aware of what they are dealing with OR they simply listened to someone else's elementary selling bs. Which is common but not with reputable dealers.

To be honest, I wouldn't bother with an used one, as they are pretty nice priced these days new.

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars_detail.asp?stock=150817288860002

150817288860002f.jpg

£799.00

Cheers... Bence.

Amen Bence, I seen an Ebony Tribute just like this in mint cond for the same price last week. Killer looking in ebony...........

https://reverb.com/item/1762502-gibson-sg-tribute-50-s?_aid=pla&currency=USD&pla=1&gclid=Cj0KEQjwxI24BRDqqN3f-97N6egBEiQAGv37hFiv_VzqXRHNlKVQTDHd7oUNIREwYRrU1sHDGE__-QcaAvVM8P8HAQ

Amen Bence, I seen an Ebony Tribute just like this in mint cond for the same price last week. Killer looking in ebony...........

https://reverb.com/item/1762502-gibson-sg-tribute-50-s?_aid=pla&currency=USD&pla=1&gclid=Cj0KEQjwxI24BRDqqN3f-97N6egBEiQAGv37hFiv_VzqXRHNlKVQTDHd7oUNIREwYRrU1sHDGE__-QcaAvVM8P8HAQ

ok guys, stop teasing me with these guitars, they dont make em left handed! well a few are knocking around but i cant afford a strandard.

Im having real issues finding a new guitar, telecasters play great but i just dont like the look of em and all the lefthanded ones are quite boring. the blue sg looked nice, but unless they come back to me with a new price ill have to pass, but if im getting something new i probaby go for something a bit more interesting than a red sg special. the reverend stuff looks good too but impossible to test one out right now, especially lefthanded.

im betweeen this blue sg (depending on price)or a new telecaster, or possibly a gretsch electromatic (left handed) but havnt played one yet.

i hate being a left guitarist sometimes, if i was righthanded id have so much more choice.

Archived