Gibson Brands Forums

Mediums, Surprised

duluthdan

I just put a set of Sunbeam Mediums (13-56) on the J-45 Legend and am blown away impressed. I had tried my standard Curt Mangans and Martin Mediums, and always had the chocked sound results and incredibly stiff action. These round core Sunbeams have a gentler tension and sound flipping fantastic on the Legend.

I also run Mediums (Mangans) on the 57 J-50 and it really results in a robust and crisp tone - they work well.

Have tried mediums from time to time on the J-45 TV and did not smile. Never tried Sunbeam Mediums though, maybe that will be next week.

Curious note though - the Legend gave up its second broken bridge pin in two weeks, and now sports a very miss matched set - have some Galiath Tortoids and Ebonies coming from Stew-Mac.

image_zpsxfn7yypq.jpeg

I'll have to try them on my legend. I've been meaning to play around with more of my guitars but just haven't had time.

I did experiment with my Honky Tonk Deuce and the extra lights just lit up that rosewood sound.

Good to hear you notice so much difference so early in the process. You should tell us about the various DR's when they fade a bit. Just took a set of Rare's 11-50 from the '64 CW - they sounded fine, but were too thin.

Admit forgetting about that springing pin, hehe, , , maybe it's time to give it a little glass-montre now.

You should also show a picture of the new pins. Galiath Tortoids and Ebonies, , , , how exciting. .

Yup, those Sunbeam .13s are great on my Hummingbird too. The low E string retains an authority that other strings just don't give it but the round cores play like .12s or even .11s.

I'd be interested in your opinion of the Pyramid Western Folk--I may have liked them a bit better but even tho they are round cores they are really stiff. I doubt I could play those in .13s and really, after playing them in .12s I was leaning toward .11s.

Thanks for posting this DD, my 'Bird needs to go to a luthier for some neck problems and have his first real set-up. I've been dragging my feet because of not being firmly decided on which strings to set it up with. I think you've persuaded me to go with .13 Sunbeams.

FMA

Archived