Gibson Brands Forums

Knobs for Gibson Duo Medalist

ldaniels

ldaniels,

I too have a Duo Medalist, and I watch ebay, but aside from someone selling this model amp, I dont see the knobs for sale. The clear ring seems to break often on these amps.

Question: is that front baffle original, or did you add the horn? I have never seen one like it before.

It had the horn when I got it back in the mid 80's. Since it was only using a capacitor as an high pass filter (I guessing) that it was done back in the early 70s. If anyone has some additional information I would love to hear more.

You are right about the clear rings. I have been watching eBay daily. Hopefully I will find some in the future.

Have you made the Gibson tone modification (Removing the tone circuit from the amp to enhance the amps sound) to your amp that they talk about in the various forums? What are your thoughts?

I have performed the mods. It's amazing how 3 caps and 3 resistors can ruin your tone. I removed them and I cannot believe the difference. Sometimes, amp mods make a little difference, but this was big. I will say that the DM is a unique design, and not the easiest amp to work on.

According to Ken Fischer, many other vintage Gibson amps suffer from similar tone sucking circuits, but are easily removed/fixed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have two of these great amps. One is in working condition and the other I have for parts or to fix someday when I can find the time. Both amps had broken knobs. I watch ebay all the time for these knobs and have been doing so for about six years. Last fall I finnaly found someone who had a knob on ebay. I emailed him to find out if he had more than one. Turns out he had a few and I bought them all. I feel incredibly fortunate to have had the opportunity to get knobs to fix my amps. They are so rare that the opportunity may not come again. So if you see them anywhere, I would suggest jumping on the chance to buy them.

If I ever meet Nigel Tufnel in person, I will be glad to tell him "Mine goes to 12!"!!

Archived