Gibson Brands Forums

Capos

pappy

I've always preferred Kyser capos due to their easy application and removal. I don't like the screw-on types at all.

Guess you haven't seen the Shubb. It clamps on - but it is adjustable also - best of both worlds. [thumbup]

I've always preferred Kyser capos due to their easy application and removal. I don't like the screw-on types at all.

This. For what little use I give a capo, the Kyser fits the bill for me.

Another vote for Shubb... way better than the others I have used (Kyser and Dunlop among others). Adjustable tension makes it less likely to pull strings sharp. [thumbup]

Agreed. It isn't as easy to remove as a kyser but it is easy enough and you don't sacrifice intonation.

using capos is cheating!

oh stop it.. [flapper]

I use them a lot when playing acoustic/singing etc.

almost never on an electric.

I have a few Kysers, they are bulky, but they work fine.

Planet Waves NS Capos are ok but take 4x the time to situate than a kyser.

so if you're in a hurry, which you often can be when performing..

I have Kysers, Shubbs, G7s and even a couple old Dunlops. By far the G7 is the easiest to use and it stays out of the way almost as well as the Dunlop. The only drawback is the price, particularly if you're prone to leaving them lay around and disappear. You can buy 2-3 of the others for the price of one G7.

Kyser for most.

For nylon strings I still have my very first capo, purchased for doing Flamenco in '63. Rosewood and a silk string.

I've tried almost every type through the years. The Kyser seems to work best for the most - although I can understand how others may get into other brands.

Yeah, it's more than a buck apiece, but I have one in each of my guitar cases, electric or acoustic.

On the other hand, one I used until the rubber part that hits the strings gave out was perhaps "best. All plastic with a ratchet for adjustment. Use it one-handed, very light and pretty much outa the way. They apparently ain't made nowadays.

m

BTW....

I've heard a lotta folks through the years refer to use of a capo as cheating.

But there are excellent reasons why we've had them around just about as long as we've had stringed instruments that potentially could use them.

Yes, you can play the same accompaniment in many keys with one. That's a large part of using them with singers and folks using other instruments with such tunings as B-flat... whatever.

Yes, you can play in any key without a problem at doing fancier right hand technique. I used to be able to play C and G open chords while my finger was slapped into a barre at the second or fourth or sixth fret - but not for a 20-minute piece. I'll never forget an emergency gig doing the guitar part in the musical play "Man of La Mancha" that was all in Eb, Bb and Eb.

m

Good Lord, I did open a can of worms here. But to me using a capo is in no way cheating. And the hours seemed to elude me today and now I am too tired to go out. Had to go out shopping with the misses this AM,she took day off and asked me to go antique shopping. Then my daughter asked if I would house sit this afternoon as they went out of town and had scheduled a handy man to repair their tub and a broken window. They were scheduled to arrive at 12, but showed up at 1, then ate lunch on the front lawn then proceeded to go to work. Never have I seen two slower workers, but to their credit they did a great job so not really complaining,but did cut short my trip to Dirt Cheap Music to pick up a few things. Just worn out looking at antiques , not really my cup of tea, but makes the wife happy. So it looks like I earned a few browny points by going with her. Several hours of walking a huge store and she bought an antique tea set for one of the kids. She was excited and I have to admit she got a great buy. Well Saturday is coming and I will head the music shop and get what I want and need.

BTW....

I've heard a lotta folks through the years refer to use of a capo as cheating.

I think that was just some hard core bluegrassers - and I think even they are mostly over it. Back in the day people called capos cheaters because you could change keys but still play in the first position.

I heard the "cheater" thing from a lot of swing/jazz pickers back in the day. Then again, the question was to me mostly raising pitch for vocal accompaniment while still getting the same "root chord" fingerpicking sound. Their work was conceptually quite different.

No, I never figured it was cheating, just a tool to get what I needed to play certain material in a certain way.

I'll agree on the pitch correction electronic stuff as cheating a bit.

Then again, they did that sorta stuff already in the '60s.

Too, was Les Paul cheating with double tracking and such?

I don't think so.

m

I heard the "cheater" thing from a lot of swing/jazz pickers back in the day. Then again, the question was to me mostly raising pitch for vocal accompaniment while still getting the same "root chord" fingerpicking sound. Their work was conceptually quite different.

No, I never figured it was cheating, just a tool to get what I needed to play certain material in a certain way.

I'll agree on the pitch correction electronic stuff as cheating a bit.

Then again, they did that sorta stuff already in the '60s.

Too, was Les Paul cheating with double tracking and such?

I don't think so.

m

In my opinion pitch correction and double tracking are nothing alike. If you double track a bad singer you will most likely sound even worse because now you have two bad vocal tracks instead of one. If the singer can't hit the right notes that will be even more apparent when double tracked

With pitch correction you can just talk into the microphone and then the producer can make "you" hit any note in post production

(I'm not entirely sure if you mean double tracking vocals or guitar though, so my apologies if I misunderstood)

I do agree that capos are not cheating, and I also enjoy the challenge of occasionally playing "capo songs" without the capo [smile]

Archived