Gibson Brands Forums

New Floyd Rose.

LarryUK

Seems like a nice design. Certainly less invasive than the predecessors but still locking. Has no tuning, so I assume you wouldn't use a locking nut - just locking tuners as mentioned in the OP.

Seems like a nice design. Certainly less invasive than the predecessors but still locking. Has no tuning, so I assume you wouldn't use a locking nut - just locking tuners as mentioned in the OP.

Good point!

What do you think of that bar fulcrum thingy? That's kindof interesting, it doesn't seem like a huge amount of contact. Then again, my Strat with the two fulcrum bridge really doesn't have that much contact area and it seems to have more sustain than my other guitars. Maybe the tension springs add some contact as well. Or maybe the contact area thing is overrated?

I've heard a lot of complaints that the original floyd rose kills the sound of yer guitar but I think a lot of that stuff tends to be dramatized online

Good point!

What do you think of that bar fulcrum thingy? That's kindof interesting, it doesn't seem like a huge amount of contact. Then again, my Strat with the two fulcrum bridge really doesn't have that much contact area and it seems to have more sustain than my other guitars. Maybe the tension springs add some contact as well. Or maybe the contact area thing is overrated?

I've heard a lot of complaints that the original floyd rose kills the sound of yer guitar but I think a lot of that stuff tends to be dramatized online

I'd have to try one of course to really have any opinion. But I think the design makes a lot of sense.

As for tone, the Floyd Rose generally seems to land in the hands of guys using enough gain that the tone of the guitar itself isn't really an issue. If you put a hefty old school Strat bridge against a Floyd in a low to moderate gain situation I think the Floyd would sound weaker and thinner. But with enough gain this difference is negligible I think. Same goes for the modern Strat bridge with the two knife edge contacts.

When they were first everywhere it was my experience that reaching for that bar just killed your note, period. If you were using the appropriate volume, that is to say, too much, it sounded really bad live, that wang'd note just fell off and stuck out from the rest of your shreddarifically lethal hard rock mayhem. Wasn't too bad all gained up and such, because you tend to lose a lot of dynamics if you are driving 8 speakers with a crapload of gain, which isn't a bad thing either. I hated them from the start, just like I didn't really like or use the trem on any of my strats and still don't.

I used an Aria Pro II that had some sort of single fulcrum edge type trem on it, it was ok, I still didn't reach for it unless I had to, which was VH or Night Ranger stuff.

I had a Kramer for a long time that had some sort of Kahler or other thing on it, that wasn't too bad, and I used it the same amount.

I suppose I could give them a try again, see if they are any better.

naahhh. I'll let the kids worry about it, I don't have to!

rct

Well, Larry, I used to believe that too. However, if You read the description of the FRX, it tells a different story about it's installation on a Les Paul model.

Bence.

*NOTE: On some Les Pauls, particularly LP Customs, the neck angle is not sufficient to allow the FRX to work without slight modification to the body. The receiving portion of the spring tension transfer rod on the base plate extends slightly below the bridge and may rest on the body unless a tiny channel is routed. - See more at: https://www.floydrose.com/catalog/tremolos/6:frx-series/frx-tremolo-system#sthash.oplvxRIX.dpuf

You're right. I hadn't read that note. It voids all of what is said above doesn't it? If you have to rout the body you might as well have the full Floyd Rose.

that wang'd note just fell off and stuck out from the rest of your shreddarifically lethal hard rock mayhem

rct

That wouldn't leave you any option BUT to smash the guitar into kindling and then kick it into the audience.

No wonder you hate them so much.

Archived