Gibson Brands Forums

HAD TO BRING IT HOME!

MissouriPicker

Got an email from my contact at GC this afternoon while I was at my gig. Told him a couple weeks ago I was looking for a used J100 from approx. the early 2000's to 2015 or so. They haven't had much in "used" J100's lately. I was specifically looking for one with a wider nut. Anyway, he told me they just got a new J100 (haven't had a new one for 6-7 years at least). On my way home I stopped to look at it. I got to open the case, and "WOW!" A Walnut beast. Played it for a good 45 minutes. No one else got close to it. Called my ol' lady and said "Hon, you've got to come-up and just look at this guitar they've got. Just look." Her exact words were, "Oh crap! Again? Just bring it home and I'll look at it then."....No joke that's what she said......Anyway, she got to look at it and hear it, and now you folks do. In all sincerity, I've got to get rid of something..lol....Here's the beast...........Recorded it with my IPad. The guitar has a humongous bass. Love it.

Congrats on the big '100, MP. White outlined pickguard makes that honeyburst pop. Long scale and super jumbo body can indeed make the low end deep and clear.

So; when you gettin' that idea you had for a custom truss rod cover made up? ; ).

Hope this one is more comfortable than the issue you had with the smaller body guitar.

Enjoy-

Now, that's one beautiful guitar, and in some worthy hands, to be sure!

I think of that model as the love child of my Natural J100 maple and my Honey Burst J45 hog. :)

Couldn't be happier for you!

(I think you're gonna love that Anthem, fyi.)

!!sweet!!

looks like you DID have bring it home... so you did the right thing,, liberated it from an otherwise potential life of case bound mediocrity!

I notice you have the Anthem,, hopefully you plugged it in and made sure it didn't sound like a pack of firecrackers going off like my first SJ200 did.

my SJ200 has the same TRC btw.. I guess that' the thing for 2016..

did you see the recent video comparing the J100 and J200?

Happy for you MP! Enjoy that beauty!

hey I wonder wonder if we can find a place that will make a "kiss my A$$" TRC for you?

Bet we can...

MP, two big thumbs up from Scandinavia. That guitar sounds super. To my taste, it really out shines the J-200 in the linked comparison video.

I have a few different Gibsons, but have never been attracted to any of the jumbos. I just haven't gotten along with the cosmetics, until now. I think your guitar looks awesome. Just enough appointments, while maintaining a simple look.

I have listened to this model before online and really like how it sounds. How would you compare its tone to a 200 in real life?

Lars

I tried the Anthem earlier this afternoon. Sounds pretty good. I'll likely enjoy it as much as the Lyrics I have in two of my guitars. Wasn't too sure of it at first. I'm not big on change, so anything with more than on/off and volume knobs is a pain-in-the-butt...lol....But seriously, the Anthem is pretty simple to play around with. I think I kind of like a mix of both tones/sounds. Just the mic alone sounds a bit too bright for my tastes, while just the pickup is a little quieter and without quite the fullness the mic gives....more I think like the standard Baggs pickups Gibson puts in many of their guitars. At the moment I'll go with the dial right around the middle of the two. Sounds real good for now. Just noticed as I was writing this that I haven't tried the phase button yet. I'll see what that does later.......I'll get a better idea on the sound after I get some feedback from some folks who tend to know what they're listening-for after my Friday afternoon gig at Caribou Coffee.

The truss rod cover is okay, I guess. I recall some others lamenting and joking about the truss rod covers that read "2016," and in all honesty, I thought similar things when I first glanced at the guitar...lol... If I can get a plain cover this color, I might have something engraved on it...lol...I'll see. Hell, they could have printed "Taylors rule" on it and even that wouldn't have killed the deal on this guitar.

There really is something to the bass on this guitar. It comes from way down in the sound hole and kind of vibrates the air around you...lol...it's pretty cool. After I recorded that video yesterday evening, I hung it on the wall in my guitar room and gave it until about two this afternoon to get a little more acclimated. If you just plunk the low E with your thumb while it's hanging on the wall it vibrates "wah-wah-wah-wah-wah------." Not just a deep drone sound. It comes out in layers. Really cool. I'm definitely in love with this guitar. Marty Stuart has addressed Cash switching from Gibson to Martin. He said Johnny told him that aside from Martin offering him a healthy contract to play the D28s, etc, Cash thought the J200s, though plenty loud, were too bright for his sound. I'm telling you, if he'd played one of these Walnut beasts, he'd have never switched...lol...Anyway, this is another "killer" guitar from Gibson. .....Also, I was ambiguous about the "plek system" ((???) for the optimal guitar setup....Well, now all I can say is it's great. Excellent setup for me. The big acoustic sound with a neck and strings that are as smooth and easy as the sweetest electric guitar. This is truly nice. Likelyl going to keep it pretty busy. Got two gigs tomorrow and it's going to both.

BTW, just before I bought it, I thought maybe I should come in here for some advice about and reasoning for not needing another guitar.....then I came back from a few moments in The Twilight Zone, thought about all of you folks in here, started laughing, said "Yeah, right!," and bought it.

Archived