Gibson Brands Forums

HAD TO BRING IT HOME!

MissouriPicker

But seriously, the Anthem is pretty simple to play around with. I think I kind of like a mix of both tones/sounds. Just the mic alone sounds a bit too bright for my tastes, while just the pickup is a little quieter and without quite the fullness the mic gives....more I think like the standard Baggs pickups Gibson puts in many of their guitars. At the moment I'll go with the dial right around the middle of the two. Sounds real good for now.

I recently bought a used guitar that had the Anthem installed and I found the same experience as yours. The mic at "100" was too bright for me as well. I tend have the mix at 50/50 or even in some rooms 55 pick up/45 mic. Have fun at your gigs with your new acquisition!

Thats quite an arsenal of Gibsons you got there Larry, how do you decide which one to play ? Congrats on the J-100, played a few of these and they do have a lovelly, sweet tone. Softer and more subtle that their maple cousins, they do bring something new to the table.

So, are there any models you dont have yet Larry ..... what about an LG or L-OO ?

EA, I rotate thru my Gibsons for gigs. I'm pretty steady with it and all of them get used. My son has my/his rosewood AJ. There are times I'll take a particular one because of the venue or if a friend asked to see it. Several years ago they didn't get used as much, but now I'm playing two shows every week at two different venues, plus two shows every month at another place, and during warmer weather I do outdoor venues at Music in The Park and community events like Art Walks and block parties. And I play at all the local festivals I can. There are lots of little towns with 50 miles or so and I play at quite-a-few of their celebrations too. The crowds are all pretty much family-friendly and orderly and calm at these places, so I don't worry much about my gear. Almost forgot---do a retirement center each month. The Gibsons go to all this stuff, unless it's an outdoor event where the weather is really harsh or threatening......It's kind of interesting how this stuff grows and grows. You play one Art Walk and they call you again. Then they pass you name to some other community group, and so on.

I had an LG2 for a few months. It was everything good I'd heard about the LG2, but I'm just a fan of the big guitars. I'm physically more comfortable with a big guitar and I prefer the tone and punch of a big guitar. There are people who can make a smaller guitar sound like Neil Young or Cash are playing it, but I'm definitely not one of them.....Plus, a big guitar is good to hide behind...lol...

EA, I rotate thru my Gibsons for gigs. I'm pretty steady with it and all of them get used. My son has my/his rosewood AJ. There are times I'll take a particular one because of the venue or if a friend asked to see it. Several years ago they didn't get used as much, but now I'm playing two shows every week at two different venues, plus two shows every month at another place, and during warmer weather I do outdoor venues at Music in The Park and community events like Art Walks and block parties. And I play at all the local festivals I can. There are lots of little towns with 50 miles or so and I play at quite-a-few of their celebrations too. The crowds are all pretty much family-friendly and orderly and calm at these places, so I don't worry much about my gear. Almost forgot---do a retirement center each month. The Gibsons go to all this stuff, unless it's an outdoor event where the weather is really harsh or threatening......It's kind of interesting how this stuff grows and grows. You play one Art Walk and they call you again. Then they pass you name to some other community group, and so on.

I had an LG2 for a few months. It was everything good I'd heard about the LG2, but I'm just a fan of the big guitars. I'm physically more comfortable with a big guitar and I prefer the tone and punch of a big guitar. There are people who can make a smaller guitar sound like Neil Young or Cash are playing it, but I'm definitely not one of them.....Plus, a big guitar is good to hide behind...lol...

Congratulations on your new guitar! Very nice and very well-played. I, too, am a fan of big guitars for the reasons you mention, save one. In my case, hiding behind a big guitar makes about as much sense as concealing a Sasquatch behind a mandolin.

Archived