Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
L5Larry

So you CAN play Jazz on a Les Paul

The 1st reason I have always had at least one Gibson Solid Body guitar in the arsenal is that they can do everything really well. Sure their may be some guitars that surpass for certain things, but if I only had to use one guitar, it would probably be a Gibson either LP or SG. The Swiss Army Knife of Guitars IMHO.

What is jazz?

Along with cinema (and blues, rock n'roll and the rest IMO) one of the USA's great art forms of the 20th century.

Canadian guitarist Lorne Lofsky plays smokin' jazz on a LP - 2 albums with Ed Bickert, who plays a Tele.....

and...P90s.

What is jazz guitar that it must be played on a jazz box?

Your avatar knows.... [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

I've played jazz on an LP many times. I really love the sound of them and it makes a nice change sometimes instead of using an archtop. I couldn't afford a good archtop until around 2011 when I purchased my Switchmaster, so before this always played jazz on me ol' Gibson Les Paul Classic and Studio. I still do switch between archtop and solid for jazz. Play jazz on my acoustic flat tops too from time to time and they sound lovely.

Well, here's one of my jazs favorites done by what's called a rock/blues guy on a tele.

A good picker like Larry could do "jazz" on anything - then then again, rock or country too.

Any guitar is an "instrument." It's we who make it a jazz guitar.

Joe Pass did some incredible jazz on a Jaguar solidbody.

For years my backup to a small body archtop for jazz type stuff was my Guild S100c, basically an SG clone.

To me, any music one feels can be played on about any guitar. However, IMHO it will be somewhat easier and more instinctive on an instrument one feels comfortable with overall...

For example, I've been quite comfortable with Bach on a 175 and Misty on a similar-sized cheapie AE Epi. Anyway nobody threw tomatoes at me. And I used a 16-inch body archtop for a year or two doing country rock in the '70s.

I think it'd be difficult to do some types of technique on a classical, and some types of technique on a big box bought for bluegrass - but again, IMHO it's how the picker interfaces with a given guitar/string/setup. Each of us has different physical geometry and will find, over time, that certain size and shape guitars simply "work."

Me, I've never cared for the LP, much as I respect its capabilities given string and setup choices and player technique. Why? It just ain't comfy in my hands.

--- Oh, what's jazz? It's music from inside the picker that the picker has modded sufficiently to work with his or her technique - and that's somehow a mix of musical styles and concepts that emerge in playing a given piece in a given venue expectation.

Note that here, Buchanan states he wishes he was half as good as Lowe. I think Lowe, still alive and pickin' last I heard, simply made better choices and had the incredible talent to make them work in an incredible career.

m

Nice find m. Yeah, I been playing what I call jazz on my Tele for a while... with far less feel and prowess, of course. I have a jazz box, but I play all kinds of stuff, including jazz and fusion, on my preferred semi-hollow.

Also, we joke about wrong notes in jazz. Hendrix once said that people even imitated his wrong notes. Wrong notes are opportunities.

We need to stop compartmentalizing stuff. Just shut up and play yer guitar.

Nice find m. Yeah, I been playing what I call jazz on my Tele for a while... with far less feel and prowess, of course. I have a jazz box, but I play all kinds of stuff, including jazz and fusion, on my preferred semi-hollow.

Also, we joke about wrong notes in jazz. Hendrix once said that people even imitated his wrong notes. Wrong notes are opportunities.

We need to stop compartmentalizing stuff. Just shut up and play yer guitar.

Yeah, I can't help but wonder/think, that if we spent as much time practicing/playing our guitars,

as we do on these fun, but silly subjects, we'd ALL be better players, with more chops, in various

genre's as well. [biggrin]

CB

Just ask Al Dimeola about playing jazz / fusion on a LP. [biggrin]

A LP with P90's would be a perfect jazz box, the cleans are superb. Just roll back that tone knob ...

What amp did you pair it with?

I am sure you have no problems playing jazz on anything Larry, but your L5 is hard to put down I am sure.

A LP with P90's would be a perfect jazz box, the cleans are superb. Just roll back that tone knob ...

Yes. Yes.

LesPaulweb_zpsc084a215.jpg

[thumbup]