Gibson Brands Forums

Alibaba Surpasses Walmart As Largest Retail Company In The World

Mr. C.O. Jones

Here is a link with the facts:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-04-06/alibaba-surpasses-walmart-largest-retail-company-world

But why post this on this forum?

Well for those who don't know, there is a site called Aliexpress that belongs to this Alibaba group.

The reason why I post this can be found here:

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20160408033019&SearchText=les+paul

Here is a good exaple of part of their business:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/free-shipping-gbson-LP-3-pickups-mahogany-body-les-black-beauty-paul-custom-electric-guitar/32600470936.html?spm=2114.01010208.3.151.fZo8J3&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_0,searchweb201602_1_10017_10005_10006_10034_10021_507_10022_508_10020_10018_10019,searchweb201603_2&btsid=7b238587-bcc6-4aad-90df-5546cb3829da

I hope not to get banned for posting this.

Our hosts should do something about that (if they can).

I really don't wan't to give them free advertising (doesn't look like they need it anyway), just thought it could be interesting.

Incredible how they sell that crap like BAM in your face and nothing happens!msp_thumbdn.gif

I'm assuming they can get away with it because they're not a U.S. consortium; there are things like trade agreements and the like that need to be addressed through legal means, and I can imagine that there are loopholes, exceptions, and issues that are simply swept under the rug when copyright infringement or outright fraud is involved.

The phrase 'Buyer beware' was never more appropriate than it is lately... [huh]

What I found surprising looking through their stuff is that it isn't just Gibson and Fender they are counterfeiting; there's a bit of everything!

PRS; Gretsch; BC Rich...even some Epi's!

One of the more obscure items? Here's a Dan Armstrong PlexiGlass which even has a Dan Armstrong logo on the 'guard!

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-style-acrylic-body-electric-guitar/32631139197.html?spm=2114.01010108.3.321.X9krmV&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_6,searchweb201602_2_10017_10005_10006_10034_10021_507_10022_508_10020_10018_10019,searchweb201603_1&btsid=641a009c-a2b4-4ee9-b168-3a2c9da3de35

And the big two? They don't just restrict themselves to LPs, Strats and Teles. There are Byrdlands, Jaguars; V's, F-basses, L5s and on and on and on.....

Unbelievable.

[thumbdn]

Pip.

Alibaba distributes more than Walmart or Amazon. They even distribute chemicals in huge quantities. My company blocked their site for perceived security issues when I tried to order free laboratory samples about seven years ago.

Doing business with the Chinese is like buying a box of chocolates.

"let the markets decide" is only the rallying cry until the markets decide they want something else. We can't have an allegedly democratic republic that thrives on capitalism and competitive markets and at the same time go around shutting down anything we would care to because it is unfair.

The people that buy them deserve it. There are stores chock full of fake Dolce&Gabanna and Fendi and on and on and people, even your own daughters and nieces, flock to them and buy them so they can be seen wearing or carrying Fendi. They deserve carrying a fake Coach bag because that's what makes them feel good so let them have at it, same for fake guitars and sunglasses and anything else.

I know what mine are, and I don't care what anyone else uses and I don't care if they sell fake ones out in front of my house, I really don't.

rct

"let the markets decide" is only the rallying cry until the markets decide they want something else. We can't have an allegedly democratic republic that thrives on capitalism and competitive markets and at the same time go around shutting down anything we would care to because it is unfair.

rct

Yep, it's a two edged sword. We all love the mom and pop, brick and mortar stores. Competition, cheap labor, lower overhead, and volume purchasing are good for large (and internet) businesses and consumers, but bad for the small business owner. Ultimately bad for the US because there are fewer available jobs and less domestic manufacturing. And generally, quality and the ability to be innovative suffer.

When "Ali Baba" has 40+ thieves I do take exception to it. Copies & rip offs don't work IMHO. I never shop at Walmart and wouldn't support the thieves market either. Just like years ago when I told people to quit buying stolen car stereos and it would cut the theft numbers. If they can't find buyers you can't come out selling stolen goods. Always someone that wouldn't care and wanted a great car stereo for $25.00 so there you go.

Aster

The people that buy them deserve it.

I know what mine are, and I don't care what anyone else uses and I don't care if they sell fake ones out in front of my house, I really don't.

rct

Ditto that!

Why are people surprised or shocked at this? I don't get it.

For the record I thank this forum for helping me get educated about this stuff. I personally know

2 people who have got "great" deals on Gibsons.

It's one thing to not be aware of what a fake is. It's completely another to fall victim

to the "if it's too good to be true" scams that run amok everywhere.

A fool and his money,,, yada yada yada.

Archived