Gibson Brands Forums

Serious Question---what's your first name

MissouriPicker

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JScott, you're in good company. J. R. Cash became John R. Cash when he went into the Air Force. When he went to Sun Records he was called Johnny. Until he was almost 24 years-old he was known as J R.

Didn't know that. Thanks!

I was named John Andrew Sparkman by my mother.

Over the years, I have been called John, Johnny, JS, Sparky, Spark-meister, Sparkinator, and (most recently) Sparquelito.

My wife calls me Sparky or Spark.

Nobody calls me John anymore.

Which is okay by me.

:unsure:

My name is Paul, growing up my nickname was Bick, as my last name was Bickford,also I am known as the grandfather of------,or the father of-----,or the husband of -----. So maybe my name is not Paul anymore.Let me find my birth certificate as I am not sure anymore.[confused]

JScott, you're in good company. J. R. Cash became John R. Cash when he went into the Air Force. When he went to Sun Records he was called Johnny. Until he was almost 24 years-old he was known as J R.

I remember reading in a recent Cash biografy that all songs he wrote that he was proud of and thought of as substantial songs that honored his past and country roots, he made sure they were credited to J R Cash. Other lesser songs would be credited to Johnny Cash. I checked on a few albums and it seems to hold true. Five Feet High and Rising is such an example. Pretty cool!

Back to names, I'm Lars, born in 1968, hence my screen name. Lars used to be a name in Scandinavia given to a young boy. Now it is the name of middle aged men. Soon it will be the name of old men...

Is it the same in other countries, that you can pin down the age of someone by their name, because there are fashion cycles for names?

Lars

I remember reading in a recent Cash biografy that all songs he wrote that he was proud of and thought of as substantial songs that honored his past and country roots, he made sure they were credited to J R Cash. Other lesser songs would be credited to Johnny Cash. I checked on a few albums and it seems to hold true. Five Feet High and Rising is such an example. Pretty cool!

Back to names, I'm Lars, born in 1968, hence my screen name. Lars used to be a name in Scandinavia given to a young boy. Now it is the name of middle aged men. Soon it will be the name of old men...

Is it the same in other countries, that you can pin down the age of someone by their name, because there are fashion cycles for names?

Lars

It sure is true in the US. Mary, Alice & Catherine and Francis, Alvin & Roger -- was in the top ten 70 years ago. - not anymore. During our "Hippy" years - names like Rainbow, Sunshine and Earth were popular. And, of course, if there is a popular movie - the leading character's name is often used, but rarely make the top 10. Even the tradition of naming a child after a parent or grandparent has fallen on hard time.

All of the above probably also holds true for puppies as well.

Lars

I think it's like that here in the UK, although some of the 'old fashioned' names are now making a comeback. When I was a kid in the 80's, names like George, Jack, William, Florence or Eleanor were the reserve of 'old people' but there are now lots of children with those names.

Archived