Gibson Brands Forums

Can you play death metal on a harpsichord?

Guest Farnsbarns

Now that's funny. I recall playing a trumpet in school as a kid. I could play pretty good. I took it to school to audition for a part. I couldn't make a sound come out of it. I swear to this day my dad stuffed something in there so he would wouldn't have to hear me practice.

Guest Farnsbarns

No that's a Jew harp. Sorry I have no idea what the PC term is.

Neither could I which is exactly why this thread is about harpsichords.

[lol]

I would say that in my experience the best metal guitar players are some of the very best players period. They are equaled only by great spanish flamenco players and some jazz/blues players. Yngvie or Satriani would cut the hell out of Frampton, Blackmore, even Clapton or Stevie. No doubt about it.

Bands like Megadeth have had some of the best guitar work in a revolving door of players all very good. Adrian from Maiden is as good as it gets. Steve Vai and John Petrucci would doumbfound most of the "guitar legends" loved by anyone who thinks that Pete Townsend or Robin Trower are awesome.

Of course their are exceptions, but on a guitar forum I am shocked by the dismissal of Dimebag, Kerry King, Tom Morello, Mustane, and all the great shredders that can play guitar in any time signature, any mode, and quite frankly smush all the well knowns from most every genre of music out there.

Metal guitar players are, face it, some of the very best. See Trans-Siberian orchestra, Dream Theatre, White Snake and so many other examples. Listen to Randy Rhoads and ask if you think Billy Gibbons could do that.

Just my 2 cents.

I would say that in my experience the best metal guitar players are some of the very best players period. They are equaled only by great spanish flamenco players and some jazz/blues players. Yngvie or Satriani would cut the hell out of Frampton, Blackmore, even Clapton or Stevie. No doubt about it.

Of course their are exceptions, but on a guitar forum I am shocked by the dismissal of Dimebag, Kerry King, Tom Morello, Mustane, and all the great shredders that can play guitar in any time signature, any mode, and quite frankly smush all the well knowns from most every genre of music out there.

Metal guitar players are, face it, some of the very best. See Trans-Siberian orchestra, Dream Theatre, White Snake and so many other examples. Listen to Randy Rhoads and ask if you think Billy Gibbons could do that.

Just my 2 cents.

I confess I have not heard Randy Rhoads playing, but I fundamentally disagree. It has to do with what criteria you use to rate 'better' & 'best'.

Any guitar player should be able to play in any time signature and mode. It only takes some application and a little practice.

I dont believe that the accumilation of technique or speed is very important in assessing a player. I think its more about how much the player knows, and what he knows is usually informed by the music being played.

Certain classical and jazz music is more demanding to play than any other I know of because of its complexity. For example, the chords in mainstream jazz are dense. You cant use a scale or a mode to improvise over them. The notes you use will be usually need to be directly tailored to the chord being played at any one time. That immediately makes a jazz players job more demanding. For that reason, according to the criteria I've described, all other things being equal, a great blues guitarist can never be as good as a great jazz player.

However, there is another criteria that has validity also. How much do you enjoy a guitarists playing? If you use that, and most non players do; anyone could be the greatest guitarist. It then come down to your ability to move people emotionally.

Music is being treated more and more as something other than an art form. You can look at it that way, but that removes it from its primary purpose for being there.

...Yngvie or Satriani would cut the hell out of Frampton, Blackmore, even Clapton or Stevie...

...Steve Vai and John Petrucci would doumbfound most of the "guitar legends"...

...I am shocked by the dismissal of......all the great shredders that can play guitar in any time signature, any mode, and quite frankly smush all the well knowns...

...Listen to Randy Rhoads and ask if you think Billy Gibbons could do that...

With the greatest of respect, JayinLA, I must say my appreciation of any given player's talent in respect of their music relies neither on an ability to 'cut the hell' out of another; dumbfound or 'smush' anyone else nor whether or not any particular player could ape another's style.

None of this is important (IMHO) in the slightest bit.

But I agree completely that there are a great number of very fine 'metal' guitarists who have made their own individual mark in the history of guitar-based music.

...I have no idea what the PC term is....
Neither could I which is exactly why this thread is about harpsichords...

[lol]

Pip.

The purpose of my orig post was to provide a valid counterpoint to the dissing of metal guitar players as "plug in and shred" is something that can be easily done. I think anybody who would say so, regardless of your musical taste is not very astute or knowledgeable either about metal music or guitar, or music theory.

There were several posts slamming metal as a "less than guitar player's" genre, when in actuallity it is the polar opposite. I knew it would be very quick before I get a point counterpoint from the other side of the argument. John Coltrane proved that you could play modally over the most complex chords that McCoy Tyner, or anybody in the Miles Davis camp could dish out, and yes, he cut the hell out of all the other sax players. (See Cannonball Aderly or Eric Dolphy)

[quote name='pippy' timestamp='1460404149' post='1760019'

With the greatest of respect, JayinLA, I must say my appreciation of any given player's talent in respect of their music relies neither on an ability to 'cut the hell' out of another; dumbfound or 'smush' anyone else nor whether or not any particular player could ape another's style.

None of this is important (IMHO) in the slightest bit

Cutting someone up is terminology we use in Jazz or Blues to explain what happens to an inferior player on the same stage in a jam or anyone who tried to hang with Charlie Parker. (Chasing the Bird

Any guitar player should be able to play in any time signature and mode. It only takes some application and a little practice.

Maybe, but most don't. I can safely say that the vast majority of well known pop/rock and most blues players don't. The would SHOULD is the important part there. Metal players do, because most come from classical and theory-based backgrounds.

WTF is a harpsichord anyway?

See the Yngie video I posted a few back.

...John Coltrane proved that you could play modally over the most complex chords that McCoy Tyner, or anybody in the Miles Davis camp could dish out, and yes, he cut the hell out of all the other sax players. (See Cannonball Aderly or Eric Dolphy)...

"...Cutting someone up is terminology we use in Jazz or Blues to explain what happens to an inferior player on the same stage in a jam..."

Hi Jay.

Yes, I'm very familiar with the 'Cutting Contest' concept - having been subjected to it myself in my youth - and whilst I fully understand it's purpose I still have an intense dislike for the practice and, by extension, a deep-seated mistrust of anyone who should choose to employ it primarily as a means to debase and embarrass players with lesser abilities than the chief protagonist.

Personally I prefer - and choose - to play with other musicians and not against them.

Others will have a different preference, of course.

Pip.

I can safely say that the vast majority of well known pop/rock and most blues players don't.

In all fairness tho we don't really know if they can or can't because they just don't....there really isn't much call for a lightning fast scale patterns in "behind blue eyes" or "Little red rooster"...hehe...

There are only a handful of the scale wizzards that can do much more than that....some exeptions of course, Vai, Malmsteen, Batio...

Batio.....this guy's persona just bugs the livin heck outa me but the guys got mad skills...when he does his " thing " of course it blows you away but after about 3 minutes it's ...next!!!but if he steps out of that caberet act and plays I could listen to that all day....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHaEAm-zmSY

Archived