Gibson Brands Forums

Beautifully Crafted Songs

IanHenry

I have a bit of a soft spot for well written songs, ones that use creative writing to "paint" a picture. Here's one that I think is brilliant, creating a story of the ordinary life of an ordinary Woman, I also like the idea of a love song describing a situation before the lovers met! All this and it's not even been written in the authors native tongue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCBPkUxFZ5M

There are lots of other ones out there by people like Cat Stevens, Simon & Garfunkel and Al Stewart. I'd be interested to hear other members suggestions.

Ian

Some of Elton's early stuff was great, I like Tiny Dancer, but all Elton's lyrics are written by Bernie Taupin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD003qA4Og8

Ian

And is still beautifully crafted. Lennon McCartney, Jagger Richards, collaborations and many beautifully crafted.

Elton in my opinion is s songwriting genius.

Don't Let The Sun Go Down... Awesome

Everything and everyone mentioned previously are, absolutely, in the Top Drawer by anyone's standards.

Geniuses - seriously - every single one of them.

One very oft-overlooked lyric/music songwriting partnership of truly fabulous quality were Squeeze's Chris Difford and Glenn Tilbrook.

Their themes were smaller-scale and more intimate in comparison to most of the popular 'ballads' but the Devil really was in the Detail.

I listen to their compilation "45's and under" (singles and B-sides) very, very often. I absolutely love them to bits.

Their humour is very British....

Pretty much at the top of the songwriter/player tree is Elvis Costello.

For a slightly more 'political' slant Billy Bragg is unique and very, very witty.

His wordplay, especially, is an absolute hoot and a delight to savour.

Pip.

F.H.I.T.A - Jimi Hendrix, sh!t face drunk Jim Morrison.

Beautiful stuff.

[wink]

Beautifully crafted... [lol] [lol] [lol]!

I still have it - almost ashamed to admit - on LP and CD.

Seriously - one of the most beautifully crafted songs I know of is the jazz standard "Lush Life" written by Billy Strayhorn as far back as the late 1930s.

A spurned lovers world-weary lament, it makes sense whether sung by man or woman.

Ella Fitzgerald's late interpretation is definitive, just her with Joe Pass on acoustic guitar.

Absolutely stunning, starts at 15min in if you are interested:

The whole album is exceptional, every track - they made another 3 together but IMO "Take Love Easy" is the best one by far.

Best wishes!

Sometimes I feel amazed about what unique songs I fell in love with in the middle of my teens and stayed ever since. Here's one of these pieces of art still raising my hair and wetting my eyes today, in fact just the moments I write these lines:

Sometimes I feel amazed about what unique songs I fell in love with in the middle of my teens and stayed ever since. Here's one of these pieces of art still raising my hair and wetting my eyes today, in fact just the moments I write these lines:

Alex was a legend, and Bagpipes as well!

Ian

I'm a big fan of Loreena McKennitt a Celtic performer. When I first heard her "Mummer's Dance" I was hooked on her song crafting. There are all sorts of Celtic instruments adding color and texture to the song. Some of her songs have distorted electric guitars trading solos with violins. Cool stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zI8sI4Ddqo

I also like Simon and Garfunkel's The Boxer (love the instrument build at the end), Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb and Time (talk about setting a mood), and George Harrison's Something (every note in it's place, succinct and beautiful).

I always think a well-crafted song does much more than just tell a story. It captures the emotion of a situation and transports you as the listener to that emotional place.

This one springs to mind...

Archived