Gibson Brands Forums

How to play guitar from a drummers perspective

EuroAussie

Interesting..........I like how he started with the guitar. He comes at the guitar with his own perspective which revolves around what he already knows, which influences how he approaches learning something. He did things his own way and is basically self-taught. It works for him. For others, lessons were/are the way to go. Looking back on things, I think taking lessons with the right teacher is a big deal. Not just a teacher that teaches you to read music, chords, theory, etc, but a teacher who knows how to feed the fire that's burning in the student.

I recall hearing the sublime J. Tull guitarist, Martin Barre saying something like that.

Ever ready to doodle, he always brings a guitar, but never books about playing.

Finding a golden chord or new lick by himself is so much more satisfying than lifting it out of a page.

I see what he means - but like to take small hints about classic songs from the Tube-tutors. Some of them do a very decent and generous job.

Proving once again that there's lots of ways to skin a cat. There is no wrong way because if it's "wrong" you just learned something about how not to do it next time. Or, as Miles Davis said, "There are no mistakes." If you are a beginner and you are reading this, just keep on keepin' on and don't be discouraged. Whenever I get discouraged about how my broken right wrist limits me I just think of Django Reinhart's left pinky and ring finger and consider myself lucky. Thanks for posting this as yet another reminder along the guitar path.

I am traveling down this road right now. I am trying to expand on my basic guitar skills, while learning to sing and write songs. All at once...not easy.

I have just started to try to rely more on instinct when coming up with my songs and what chords, licks, and melody works. I feel so much freer this way. I have realized that I'm no good at doing covers. I will always sound like a pale imitation. When I do my own stuff, I set the rules and it will only sound like me (for better, or worse). So if a songs sounds like I want it to, it is good. I let theory, or least as much as I know of it, gently guide me, but in the end I go by what I like to hear.

This approach keeps me motivated, and I guess in the end this is what is most important of all. It keeps the guitar in my hands better than anything I have tried from a book or online. I might be off key or out of tune, breaking everything ever wtritten in a theory book, but I don't really care...

I tend to like artist, like Dave Grohl, who go their own way. In my book, originality always trumps convention and perfection.

Lars

Archived