Gibson Brands Forums

Snark Tuner

LPguitarman

There's some difference in the build quality. I have several. There is a third level in between the two as well. The cheapest one lost one of it's rubber pads that protects the guitar finish, no big deal it still works I just have to be careful putting it on and removing it, or I could glue a piece of rubber on the clip. Also, the output screen shows lines instead of planes of color, and the connection to the clip is thinner than on the more costly versions. It works okay and tuning seems accurate.

I have several of the higher cost ones (like I said I think there's one in the middle about $15 and my first one was the $30 version) and those are all great.

The cheap ones work okay. Anymore, I usually get the middle range ones, $15, I like to have one in each case of guitars I use regularly.

Thanks guys. When I get one, it will probably be the Super Snark. [thumbup]

By the way, I read a review where these(the clamp)may damage the finish on Gibson guitars. Any experience with that? I plan on using it on my new acoustic Michael Kelly, not my Gibson LP, so no big issue there...just curious.

By the way, I read a review where these(the clamp)may damage the finish on Gibson guitars. Any experience with that? I plan on using it on my new acoustic Michael Kelly, not my Gibson LP, so no big issue there...just curious.

Just about any plastic/rubber will damage a nitrocellulose finish if left in contact. It's not just a Gibson thing. Or for that matter a Super Snark thing! I use the Super Snark on my Gibson LPs, SG, and J-35, but I don't leave it attached. I tune and remove it. The Super Snark is super easy to see in low light situations thanks to the broader areas that light up to indicate how far away you are from your center tuning frequency.

I always preferred pedal board tuners, but I recently picked up a couple of Snark SN-5 tuners for acoustic instruments and for gigs where I'm mot using a pedal board. They were only $7.97 each at Amazon and so far have worked perfectly.

Ya I never leave my clip-on on for long so I would never even consider the finish thing.

Never used a snark so have no idea about the price difference.

But "you get what you pay for" seems to hold true for most things.

My pitchhawk works nicely.

I bought a red Snark and the ball joint socket fixing tuner to clip broke without me even taking it to a gig. [cursing] [cursing]

Buy Korg I say!

Mine broke as well.

I like them at 15 bucks, but when they get to be about 30 and up, then it gets into the realm of better tuners.

I got Korg as well, actually, a couple.

Hammerhead, was like 50, went on sale for 15. GC blowing them out. The polytune is also like 50, and it works REAL good.

Oddly, the GC's around here do NOT stock any Snarks for under 30.

Amazing little gadgets. The blue snark detects the frequency via the vibrations of the neck/headstock. The red snark can do that OR by detecting the audible sound through the air - there's a little switch for one or the other. You really only need the blue snark, IMO.

I like them at 15 bucks, but when they get to be about 30 and up, then it gets into the realm of better tuners.

My feelings also. That said I put a 5-dollar battery in mine and been using it for two years no issue. Big Battery, Walmart sells them. In case you leave yours on by accident you know! [thumbup]

I have a cheap-a§§ Fishman. Battery lasts 1-2 years, padding on the clips.

I too worried about clips and nitro, but found an effective solution in becoming so broke that the only guitar I could afford was one with poly.

All joking aside (not that it's funny), anything and everything will do things to nitro. It never sets, so... do the math.

Hi Santo.

nitro gets along with nothing, the newer the guitar, the more likely something can screw up the finish if it's in contact long term.

I do not have any snarks, I use the planet waves minis, I don't usually leave them attached tho.

the hands down best one, is the Peterson stroboclip, but, by comparison it's expensive. (70 bucks) how ever, peterson tuners are just about the #1 choice for accuracy and temperament options

if the guitar is poly, verses nitro, it's probably going to withstand the reaction of something making contact.

much harder material once cured.

Hi Santos,

I have used the 30.00 one and the one under 10.00. There accuracy is the same. If I remember right the sn1

(10.00 or so) is for guitars and bass . The super snark (30.00) will tune all stringed instruments. I use the cheaper one (8.31 plus shipping via Amazon). I have never found the cheaper ones on the shelf at GC. I have a Gibson hummingbird and have never had any issues with the finish, that being said, I would always tune mine and and REMOVE it. Snark's disclaimer specifically states, in detail, just about every finish known to man! I am very satisfied with it. I use the pastel blue one. There are I think about 8 colors to choose from, and to add, it takes a cr2032 button battery (bout 4 or 5 bucks) and has lasted about 2 years or a little less. I use it every day. If you accidentally leave it on, it will turn off in about 20 minutes. The neat thing I like is you don't have to have total silence to use it, like the old days, since it only picks up the instruments vibration. Hope this helps.

lpguitarman should have got it because since I posted, his OP has been corrected. The original post read:

one for under $10.00.

on for $29.99.

Oh, I get it now... Man you were quick, I edited that like 5 seconds after I posted it.

Archived