Gibson Brands Forums

Still lovin' your Fuller's '39 J-35 Reissue?

magictwanger

You don't see much talk about these anymore and I know they are no longer made......I was fortunate to buy one(new) a while back and it has developed into an absolutely amazing slope/jumbo.......I attempt to play as many Jumbos(and other guitars,duh) as I can get my hands on & this model just keeps blowing my mind....Is it "that good" or am I in rationalization mode?

Four years old & still mint,but played fairly often,as I have a small stable which rotates regularly.....This baby might be my fav though!

I used to one. I will admit that it is the only one of that model that I have ever played.....

I just didn't like it. I should have liked it. on paper it is great. It wasn't really a dog. it was a good guitar but it was just missing something.

The one that I owned for a while, I have been personally aware of it having at least 8 different owners!!!! [omg]

Again, it's the only one that I have ever played. So, this shouldn't be taken as true about all of them. They have wonderful specs and I know that Montana makes fine guitars.

Keith

You don't see much talk about these anymore and I know they are no longer made......I was fortunate to buy one(new) a while back and it has developed into an absolutely amazing slope/jumbo.......I attempt to play as many Jumbos(and other guitars,duh) as I can get my hands on & this model just keeps blowing my mind....Is it "that good" or am I in rationalization mode?

Four years old & still mint,but played fairly often,as I have a small stable which rotates regularly.....This baby might be my fav though!

I've got one, too. Love it. It's got a handsome small burst--I think it's the best looking of all my guitars. And it sounds fantastic.

Red 333

Keith......Eight owners would lead me to believe you did the right thing moving it out......Still,before I bought mine I played 2 Kopps,two Flammings and a Santa Cruz Vs along with a few vintage J-45's all at Mandolin Brothers.Obviously I loved all of them,but alreading owning a few very nice guitars I did not want to spend boutique monies and Fuller's offered these for a reasonable price.With a full refund after a weeks trial(actually,they offered me a two week trial).

Took me 30 seconds to know how good this baby was.I found the Kopp to be a monster but the high freq was too attenuated(still a great guitar).The Flammings were fabulous but actually quite similar tonally to this Fuller's model,to me.The vintage J45/50's all beat out the boutique builds and the prices reflected this.......The Fuller's has gotten an amazingly gorgeous tone,as it has aged.At least mine does.....I believe RED 333 has always nailed this model with his descriptions.

What I love about this guitar is that it easily stands up to any of my other boutique builds,even thogh they are a different body/wood type.The overall greatness of the guitar is just "there"......Amazing that Fuller's can no longer offer these.

Warm(but clear & crisp),woody(in spades) and a nice thump.It projects much better than a J-45,imo....More direct,which I like a lot.If someone had put this in my hands,with my eyes closed,I'd believe I was playing a well aged Jumbo.

My one experience with a '36 J-35 (original/vintage)which was selling for $10,000 at Mandolin Brothers,was a "huge" let down.That guitar literally was one of the worst sounding instruments I'd ever touched.....Btw,it sold,so what do I know. -:)

Best to all

I'm sure yours is great! I like mine but as time went on it was just missing something. i usually like that sort of guitar too. those extra woody, direct, thumpy ones. This one just missed. I wish it had been as good as yours (and what I'm sure the others are). I really wanted to love it!

Keith

Hey Keith,I'm not feeling too bad for you with those great guitars in your signature. -:) Serious collection!

Haha! Thank you. There have been some other nice ones over the years that I have let go, but I am very fortunate to have some nice guitars today and a wonderful wife who understands because she plays too! (of course that usually means I can never get my hands on the J-185!)

Keith

....Is it "that good" or am I in rationalization mode?
Well, I sure do like mine. It's balanced, it cuts, it plays like butter. Pretty chords, crisp single string runs. Imo the ads top and (maybe ) the extra care for the custom run are the difference makers. It's just right for the music I play: piedmont blues like Rev Gary, country blues like Skip James, but jump shifts nicely to folk jam tunes if called upon. I can hear myself in a room full of Martin dreads. Just put in a k&K. Sounds great with that as well.

J35.png

Archived