Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rct

NAD

Fender Champion 100. No tubes, no stems no seeds that you don't need. 40 pounds. Two 12s, moves some air. Cleans from Fender, which I really need. Gains, meh, close enough. I need to get it out in a big place at half way up the volume to start messing with getting the gain right. Reverb is just fine, I use a littlea that, not any of the other stuff it does, though I can see using Chorus/Rev/Delay once in a while on the gain side.

No more tube amps out for me, I've been using my Princeton Recording and I don't want to, I want it home on top of the cabinet where it belongs. I've got enough spare crap I have to carry without thinking about all that other, so I promised myself I would get one of these if the gigging started up, and it has, so I did.

Not much of a review, but when you use amps the way I do there isn't much you can say. I don't agonize over my tone, once them other chuckleheads get going nobody can hear my tone anyway, just needs be clean and loud and not-clean and loud, and this thing does it just fine.

Let my mocking by the Tube Sniffers begin. I can take it, believe me.

rct

Fender Champion 100. No tubes, no stems no seeds that you don't need. 40 pounds. Two 12s, moves some air. Cleans from Fender, which I really need. Gains, meh, close enough. I need to get it out in a big place at half way up the volume to start messing with getting the gain right. Reverb is just fine, I use a littlea that, not any of the other stuff it does, though I can see using Chorus/Rev/Delay once in a while on the gain side.

No more tube amps out for me, I've been using my Princeton Recording and I don't want to, I want it home on top of the cabinet where it belongs. I've got enough spare crap I have to carry without thinking about all that other, so I promised myself I would get one of these if the gigging started up, and it has, so I did.

Not much of a review, but when you use amps the way I do there isn't much you can say. I don't agonize over my tone, once them other chuckleheads get going nobody can hear my tone anyway, just needs be clean and loud and not-clean and loud, and this thing does it just fine.

rct

stems and seeds is all we sell

4H

rct

Tube sniffer here... but I have no problem with you using what works best for your gigging situation. Solid state worked for Dimebag... just sayin' [biggrin]

Next weekend I'll start a monthly gig at a little beach bar where I use nothing but a Digitech RP1000 unit straight to the PA... GASP! It works fine in that scenario, and the patrons will never know the difference. It's versatile and it only weighs a few pounds. But you put me in a good sized room with a bass player and a drummer and I'm bringing tube amps - not for the audience - but for me. I love the feel of 'em.

I say whatever works.... works. [thumbup]

I remember you saying you were seriously thinking about getting the Champion 100! Congratulations!

I've never heard anything negative about them, really. Tempted myself, to get one! Enjoy it!! [thumbup]

CB

Given the choice I would never gig with a tube amp.

Word. But you have the JC120 I think that's you. Them are nice.

Pictures or it didn't happen.

Crappy TracFone pix.

Champion1.jpg

Champion2.jpg

rct

Congrats....have you started gigs now...?

Yes, the fellas called and I answered. We've been having a really great time, it's been 13 years and we've all gotten a whole bunch older and wiser!

rct

While I am still a tube sniffer/snob, I can also appreciate solid state amps as well. The Champion series are quite nice, especially for a Fender clean sound.

Tube amps are just too heavy, so I went the Kemper Proflier route and just profile my own tube amps. Much easier to haul around.

Enjoy your new amp and have fun gigging.

I too am a Tube sniffer. I've had 2 solid state amps , late 70's to mid 80's. the 1st one was a Lab Series. really liked that one. 2nd one was a Crate. it cut out on me 4 or 5 gigs. I've never had any issues with a tube amp. but anything can go wrong.

but hey, if you can dial it in, I could care less what anybody uses. I have no use for digital effects. but I've heard lots of folks make them sound great. so maybe i'm the problem.

I like tubes for the same reason I like Semi-hollow guitars, for the 'feel' or the way they react to touch. Really very little difference between the sound of a tube amp and the sound of a good SS amp to the audience and a very large difference in weight and price in favor of SS. Also SS cleans are great anyway. That 212 SS probably sounds awesome doing clean tones.

I won't even take my best tube amp out of the house, the difference between it's tone and my Behringer hybrid amp or my Orange SS or cheaper tube amps is so indistinguishable to the listener that it's not worth the risk. I typically play my church gig with my Peavey Valveking 112, because it can stay there, otherwise, I'd be using my SS Orange cause it's 15 to 20 lbs lighter.

Enjoy the new Fender!

I typically play my church gig with my Peavey Valveking 112, because it can stay there,

Well, the thing is, that there Peavey is a GOOD sounding amp. Just cause it's "cheap" don't mean one should take for granted it is one of the "cheaper" sounding amps.

Nice addition. I have an old Fender roc pro 1000 head just sitting around in my basement. Makes me want to take it out for a bit. I always felt the clean channel on that amp had a nice sound...it was the overdrive channels i wasn't a huge fan of.

Enjoy

rct

I want to hear it to believe it.

Slim chance of that happening though, being as I have no more ties to Jersey. But I'd be there if I was there.

I wanna hear about what the other "chukleheads" think once you get it all going. I have no authority.

But if they don't love it, I am going to be on the encouragement team trying to get you to get the boutique tube bliss tone of Sweet Jesus for the benefit of the world's listening pleasure.

Well, the thing is, that there Peavey is a GOOD sounding amp. Just cause it's "cheap" don't mean one should take for granted it is one of the "cheaper" sounding amps.

Not knocking the Peavey, it is a good sounding amp.

I want to hear it to believe it.

Slim chance of that happening though, being as I have no more ties to Jersey. But I'd be there if I was there.

I wanna hear about what the other "chukleheads" think once you get it all going. I have no authority.

But if they don't love it, I am going to be on the encouragement team trying to get you to get the boutique tube bliss tone of Sweet Jesus for the benefit of the world's listening pleasure.

eh. They actually pay me to sound like me, so it truly doesn't matter what I use, I can pretty much sound like me. They are happy and probably couldn't tell you what amps I have used or am using.

rct

Good to hear!

I've been gigging a Solid State Fender for 20 years.

I chose it after trying out every tube amp I could find.

I actually went back through time via some books my mom had put together, and I had a few SS amps over the decades actually. One I should have kept was a St. Louis Music Co. 60th Anniversary(I think) Crate, just as Crate was not making them out of pallets any more. It was one of the best amps I ever used.

rct

...Crappy TracFone pix...

OOOOHHH!!!

Nice! I like the look of that!

And as you say; who cares what it sounds like?...

And much better than your usual crappy pix into the bargain.

Is that a ghost creeping up on it from behind?

Pip.

[laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

indeed.

A Roland Fantom Xa, a Korg R3, and my true love Hammond XK-1 under there on a big three tier stand. Might as well be ghosts for as much as I get to sit in front of them.

rct

The last tube amp I gigged out regularly was my Fender Bandmaster. An absolute bear to cart around. 40W was deafening so I never got to the point where the tubes really sang. And I still wasn't playing anything but clean. So back around 2000 I switched to a Fender Stage100/160, possibly the best solid state amp I ever had. Great Fender cleans, good gain channels, good reverb, okay digital effects. One of the best amps I ever owned, period. I sold it to our other guitarist at church so I still get to see and hear her every Sunday. Still a great amplifier. Now I play mostly acoustic out of a Marshall AS50D and when I play electric,its my new little Marshall DSL15C, which is a tube amp, but light to lug around and well matched to my LPs. Wear the Champion 100 in good health!!