Gibson Brands Forums

1963 Hummingbird and I bought it new

MorrisStarkey

Hi folks. I bought this Hummingbird in 1963 as a Christmas present to myself from a little shop in Kokomo, Indiana. I was 18 at the time. Anyone have any idea what strings Gibson was putting on these from the factory? It's a very clean guitar as I finger pick and rarely use a pick. It still has the plastic mock saddle over the adjustable ceramic saddle assembly. I have never contemplated changing it out as it is stable and has great sustain as is. I played some that had them changed out and opted to keep it as is. Haven't regretted that in all the years I have owned it. post-78218-067721000 1460984843_thumb.jpg

Hi and welcome - the guitar is beautiful.

An honour to have a first-wave Bird owner on board. And thrilling to see you never changed the original bridge and saddle.

You should spoil us with more tales about this flier - pictures and sounds too.

What made you pick that model back then - very curious, , , the looks, the p-guard wildlife, the hip trend, , , were you in a band or tripe of youngsters who adored these ???

Repeat : First-wave* Bird-people is gold for this Board. As the crown-witnesses of an important brick in pop-culture they are.

Enjoy it here

*In fact all first wavers

Wow! We have a 62 that seems like the same guitar except for the saddle material. Like you, we have never felt any desire to change it -- seems fine as it is.

1962Hummingbirda_zpsekyiwjak.jpg

1962Hummingbirdb_zps07l1tbno.jpg

We have been using ours quite a bit lately because it records well in our acoustic room recording environment. Here are some example.

Recent recordings

Best,

-Tom

/droll

Beautiful birds and stories.

Tom, on some videos your hummingbird looks like having a hole on the top that let us see the landscape [lol]

Amazing green screen.

That would have to do with the questionable competence of the green screen technician -- me. [laugh]

Best,

-Tom

Archived