Gibson Brands Forums

building a Les Paul

jbr03

One sticky part would be the neck joint. While you can buy parts that will make it possible to build a guitar that looks like a Les Paul, they have bolt on necks. Now, I don't have a problem with bolt on necks (works fine on my Fender guitars), but Les Pauls have set necks so you'd want to look for a company that offers a neck and body that would make that possible.

As for cost, I've been kicking around the idea of putting together my own Strat for a while but what I've found is that it's just cheaper to buy a Strat and modify it unless you plan on applying all the finishes yourself. If you really want to build your own, have at it but if you're thinking you'll save money doing it instead of buying a guitar, I think you'll find that to not be how it works out.

At one time there was a step-by-step illustrated article on the net. I bookmarked it, but that was several computers ago. You might try a google search.

You can build a "Les Paul" from Warmoth parts but it would necessarily be a bolt-neck, which sort of defeats the purpose, in my opinion.

Good luck.

I think if you are building it to save some bucks, it would be better to just go and buy one. If you are building her for any other reason, then go ahead, but remember, those guys that build guitars for fender gibson and other brands, are pros and have lots of experience... if it is not as easy for them, it probably will not be as easy for you.

Archived