Gibson Brands Forums

ES-339 HELP !!???!!!

Paul_Saul

Hi all,

I purchased my Gibson ES-339 this past August (2008). Everything was fine until tonight I noticed that the clear finish on the back of the body of the guitar appears to be wrinkling and there may even be cracks developing in the clear coat finish. Why is this happening??? What can I do about it?

Please help.

Paul

I notice you're in Minnesota. Can I assume that it's pretty cold and dry where you are? The nitro-lacquer finish on a Gibson requires a bit more care than a poly (plastic) finish found on some less expensive instruments. The most important thing you can do for your Gibson is to keep the humidity around the 50% mark. In cold and dry climates during the winter months, the wood can dry out and shrink. The wood shrinks to a greater degree than the lacquer on top of it, so this could be causing the wrinkles you're noticing. This is even more apparent on hollowbodies.

The first thing you can do is to try and get the humidity of the wood back up. If you don't have a room humidifier, you can buy one that will go inside the case. If you can't get one right away, wet a cloth and wring out as much excess water as you can (you don't want it dripping). Place this in a Ziploc bag with a few holes poked in it and put it in the compartment in your case. You'll need to keep wetting it occasionally and as the wood regains moisture, it will require it less often. This is just a quick-fix until you can go out and get yourself a proper case humidifier.

Thanks for the help. This is what I thought and feared may be the problem. I put it in the case with some damp paper towels.

Is the wrinkle/ripple problem reversable as the wood remoisterizes and expands? If so, how long might it take? I know that if there are cracks that they are permanent.

Thanks. I appreciate the quick and informative response.

Paul

This sounds more like a temp thing. Bring it in cold, open the case too soon? Bingo. instant checking.

Another problem with this is condensation. Give it as much time as possible to aclimate. As a gigger my gear will get cold sometimes due to weird circumstances, but just give it every chance to warm up to room temp SLOWLEY......

Best of luck.

Murph.

Archived