Gibson Brands Forums

To buy or not to buy: Les Paul HD.6x

cliffe

Hi guys,

I would love some feedback. I have the chance to buy a Digital Les Paul HD.6x for the same price as a Les Paul Studio. I am excited about the possibilities of recording each string separately. Although I own a Gibson Les Paul bass, this would be my first Gibson electric (I play an epi atm).

I wonder what you guys think. I gather the model has been discontinued. Will the guitar hold its value? resell value?

I have the equipment to input all the channels to the computer, but is MaGIC still being developed? or dropped? are there or will there ever be MaGIC interfaces straight into the computer? If the breakout box breaks can it be fixed?

How many HD.6x were made? Is it likely to be a collectors item?

I noticed that the finish over the dots on the side of the neck is a bit bubbly - does that matter?

I can't currently afford a DarkFire.

Cheers,

Cliffe.

Are you interested in the guitar as a player' date=' or are you interested in the guitar for it's potential resale value?

As for a digital LP - yuck. :- [/quote']

As a player, I love to experiment with sounds so the ability to process each string separately is an exciting thought.

It would be nice to know it is a good investment though, value wise as well as technology wise.

If it's legitimate (not a fake) then I'd say you have -value wise - found yourself a very good deal. Those guitars, despite being somewhat unpopular tend to go for considerably more than the offer you have found. That said, I'd imagine you could most likely find someone to but it from you (should you not like it) for more than you will have paid. If you find that it's a great player and you find use in it, then I'd say it's an even greater value to you. Of course, like any guitar, only you can be the judge.

Be sure to post pictures for us if you get it - don't see many around here and it would be nice to get a look at some good shots :-&

*btw., I didn't mean to insult you w/the "yuck" comment toward a digital LP. I went through a "digital phase" a couple of years ago fooling around w/POD's, etc....just not my bag. I've heard some wonderful music on digital equipment though...so maybe yuck was a bad choice of words.

If it's legitimate (not a fake) then I'd say you have -value wise - found yourself a very good deal. Those guitars' date=' despite being somewhat unpopular tend to go for considerably more than the offer you have found. That said, I'd imagine you could most likely find someone to but it from you (should you not like it) for more than you will have paid. If you find that it's a great player and you find use in it, then I'd say it's an even greater value to you. Of course, like any guitar, only you can be the judge. [/quote']

Thanks.

Be sure to post pictures for us if you get it - don't see many around here and it would be nice to get a look at some good shots :-&

Ok' date=' will do.

*btw.' date=' I didn't mean to insult you w/the "yuck" comment toward a digital LP. I went through a "digital phase" a couple of years ago fooling around w/POD's, etc....just not my bag. I've heard some wonderful music on digital equipment though...so maybe yuck was a bad choice of words. [/quote']

No worries :)

Is gibson using MaGIC (sending audio over ethernet) for anything now a days? Darkfire seems to use a different connection.

Gosh, I have no idea. Though, I'm sure someone on here will chime in w/how that works. Would be interesting to learn more about since the topic (at least when I tend to be on here) doesn't really seem to come up.

Does that digital LP come in any other finishes besides the blue? I think that's the only color I've seen photographed.

Gosh' date=' I have no idea. Though, I'm sure someone on here will chime in w/how that works. Would be interesting to learn more about since the topic (at least when I tend to be on here) doesn't really seem to come up. [/quote']

Gibson were really saying that it was the Next Big Thing in audio and video processing. Sending up to 32 channels of data (duplex) over an ethernet cable. However a google search doesn't find much else except these claims when the HD.6x came out. The standard is open, but I dont know if it is still being used by anyone. It is a bit disappointing Gibson are not using it on their new guitars such as the DarkFire which seams to use a non-open format.

Does that digital LP come in any other finishes besides the blue? I think that's the only color I've seen photographed.

Only blue. Which has really grown on me.

Cliffe Wrote:

Is gibson using MaGIC (sending audio over ethernet) for anything now a days? Darkfire seems to use a different connection.

Simple answer NO. Gibson will not be updating or supporting future development of the HD.6x and its technology since the release of Dark Fire. Having said that I would definately buy at the same price as a Studio the HD is one seriously high quality instrument.

You are aware I hope that you will need a soundcard with 6 inputs if you want to seperate the sound of each string!

From an investment perspective it has not been a big seller so there are not many around so in 50 years time it should be even rarer=high in value only MHO though.

One last thing a poster was removed from the site for posting in the DF forum, he was really pissed having paid $5600 for a HD.6x and then discovering DF had been released and could be had for $3000.

Cliffe Wrote:

Simple answer NO. Gibson will not be updating or supporting future development of the HD.6x and its technology since the release of Dark Fire.

So there will never be a direct input to a PC' date=' always via the breakout box... Signal to digital to analogue to digital...

Having said that I would definately buy at the same price as a Studio the HD is one seriously high quality instrument.

You are aware I hope that you will need a soundcard with 6 inputs if you want to seperate the sound of each string!

Thats not a problem I have a pretty good home recording setup.

From an investment perspective it has not been a big seller so there are not many around so in 50 years time it should be even rarer=high in value only MHO though.

One last thing a poster was removed from the site for posting in the DF forum' date=' he was really pissed having paid $5600 for a HD.6x and then discovering DF had been released and could be had for $3000.[b'][/b]

I can see how that would be annoying, but I am aware of the DarkFire. It looks pretty cool (maybe much better?) but this is a better price.

As a player' date=' I love to experiment with sounds so the ability to process each string separately is an exciting thought.

It would be nice to know it is a good investment though, value wise as well as technology wise.[/quote']

IMO, digital technology is rarely a good investment value wise unless you're talking about effects processors that some of the techno and hip hop guys are into to get older sounds that the newer units can't or won't do.

Technology wise, that's a call that only you can make as to whether you're into what it offers. My only concern would be being able to get the digital part of it repaired if need be later on but, there seems to be no end to good repair guys who will work on just about anything as long as they have the parts to fix it. Even if getting the digital parts repaired becomes an issue, I would imagine that you could still plug it into a regular amplifier and play it like any other Les Paul.

Hey man, I dont know if I am right about this (maybe you can ask gibson suport) but the dark fire has the same tech (plus 2nd gen robot tech) and, gibson is releasing a white box (whateversitsname) that serves as an interface for the hex pickup... maybe you should ask gibson if that thing works with the hd.6 guitar (it should work).

Those HDs were good guitars... that is a killer price for one... I think you might want to check if everything is ok and post some pics so we can see if it is not a fake.

Hey man' date=' I dont know if I am right about this (maybe you can ask gibson suport) but the dark fire has the same tech (plus 2nd gen robot tech) and, gibson is releasing a white box (whateversitsname) that serves as an interface for the hex pickup... maybe you should ask gibson if that thing works with the hd.6 guitar (it should work).[/quote']

I am pretty sure it uses the same pickup but a different way of sending the signal. MaGIC was the HD's way of sending it via ethernet.

Those HDs were good guitars... that is a killer price for one... I think you might want to check if everything is ok and post some pics so we can see if it is not a fake.

It is real. The only problem I could see was bubbling around the dots on the side of the neck. Is this a common problem?

The sound from the classic mode (regular pickups) wasn't as crisp as the LP studio. The guy in the shop said that the type of pickups is different and that the strings were pretty old.

IMO' date=' digital technology is rarely a good investment value wise unless you're talking about effects processors that some of the techno and hip hop guys are into to get older sounds that the newer units can't or won't do.

Technology wise, that's a call that only you can make as to whether you're into what it offers. My only concern would be being able to get the digital part of it repaired if need be later on but, there seems to be no end to good repair guys who will work on just about anything as long as they have the parts to fix it. Even if getting the digital parts repaired becomes an issue, I would imagine that you could still plug it into a regular amplifier and play it like any other Les Paul.

[/quote']

How long would Gibson support it for? It would suck if the BoB broke.

How long would Gibson support it for? It would suck if the BoB broke.

If you're talking about the availability of parts, anyone's guess is as good as mine. If it's using the same stuff as the Darkfire as some others are alluding to, probably for quite a while as long as Gibson is pushing that kind of technology.

Steve' date='

why was he removed? Lots of people get pissy...did he threaten someone or something along those lines? [/quote']

He started getting personal directly insulting people who had a different opinion. To be fair i can see why he was unhappy, his opinion was that the Gibson dealer should have told him the DF was around the corner and was superceding the HD, but he just had a bad bad attitude problem.

Hey man' date=' I dont know if I am right about this (maybe you can ask gibson suport) but the dark fire has the same tech (plus 2nd gen robot tech) and, gibson is releasing a white box (whateversitsname) that serves as an interface for the hex pickup... maybe you should ask gibson if that thing works with the hd.6 guitar (it should work).

Those HDs were good guitars... that is a killer price for one... I think you might want to check if everything is ok and post some pics so we can see if it is not a fake.[/quote']

The HD technology is definately not compatible with the DF. The HD sends a digital signal via ethernet whereas the DF sends a multiplexed analoge signal via a standard TRS cable. The RIP (Robot Inteface Pack) the white thing that comes with DF will not work with the HD.6x.

To sum it all up the HD.6x and DF are digital capable guitars that use different and non compatible technology. DF being the latest incarnation. The HD6.x will not be updated or developed any further but Gibsons lifetime warranty should still apply.

Hope this helps.

Thanks everyone. I decided to buy it. However while I have been umming, researching, and arring someone else snatched it up! :-({|=

Guess I wont be the proud owner of a Gibson Les Paul electric guitar for a while. It will happen though.

Thanks again,

Cliffe.

my 2 cents - yes Steveyp is correct on all issues he shared on this thread.

HD.6X-Pro and Dark Fire use totally different methods and protocol for moving multiple audio streams out of the guitar.

The Gibson MAGIC group in silicon valley California has closed shop too.

my 2 cents - yes Steveyp is correct on all issues he shared on this thread.

HD.6X-Pro and Dark Fire use totally different methods and protocol for moving multiple audio streams out of the guitar.

The Gibson MAGIC group in silicon valley California has closed shop too.

Seamed like a good open protocol, I am slightly suprised no one made a direct PC interface, as it would have been cheap and easy to make.

I was looking forward to doing crazy things with panning on each string. I also would have run the 6th string through an octive effect and through to my bass amp among other things. Anyway who knows where this technology will be in a few years. I am looking forward to the future.

The HD technology is definately not compatible with the DF. The HD sends a digital signal via ethernet whereas the DF sends a multiplexed analoge signal via a standard TRS cable. The RIP (Robot Inteface Pack) the white thing that comes with DF will not work with the HD.6x.

To sum it all up the HD.6x and DF are digital capable guitars that use different and non compatible technology. DF being the latest incarnation. The HD6.x will not be updated or developed any further but Gibsons lifetime warranty should still apply.

Hope this helps.

Maybe there's a way to upgrade the HD's circuit/hardware? (I am completely ignorant about them).

If the use the same pickup it would be nice if gibson released an upgrade pack (with easy instalation) or something of the like, so that HD owners can make use of the dark fire RIP.

I didnt remember that ethernet conector thing, I just remembered after reading your message, thanks!

Archived