Gibson Brands Forums

Tragic food for thought when legends die.

splake

I was with my Guitar instructor yesterday for an impromptu lesson. And we began to talk and Bullshi*t as we always do. And he had a really good point about Prince,, He said I have a question for you, Who will replace Prince? Who will replace Bowie, Frye, Michael Jackson, Lemmy, incredible talents? That is the saddest thing, he said when one of them passes. Prince was influenced By Jimmy and although did not fill his shoes, picked up the torch. True can be said about many others who have passed recently

I guess that is what makes this the saddest thing, No one can, no one will. I mean will be be Taylor swift or Justin Bieber or Jennifer Lopez etc etc with their Guitar chops and song writing skills? They have none. No one to step up and slide in. and carry it on to us.. Its a different business now and there are some old great dinasaurs out there, still bringing it. But he also asked who in this age? Came up in this age, since 2015, that will be a super talented musician legend ?. Not lip singing American Idol Karioke poser. I dont want to spark a debate here and I am sure there will be one or two superstars that could possibly be mentioned, but I am just at a loss.

I guess Mozart , Bach, Beetoven when Irrreplaceable also, and I am sure they would laugh and believe the Guitar Gods we worship are laughible in their eyes, And maybe what we love is a poor example of music to them, Would the past masters roll thier eyes at at Basic I IV V progression or a solo in G, Dorian ? and again maybe the bubble gum American Idol crap is just a normal evolution and creedence that things change.

Still doesnt make it any Fu***ng Easier to swallow.

Tuff to think about.

Doom and gloom I know. Rock is not dead but it is dying..... Literally.

Interesting thoughts.... [thumbup]

Personally was never a huge Prince fan...although millions dug the showmanship, staging, dance moves and edgy creativity.... [thumbup]

Michael Jackson was a troubled, perhaps damaged soul who left a great body of music and energy.... [thumbup]

Some of these artists live hard and on the edge...not destined for old age and pensions...

Music and other arts need to evolve and renew on a continuum

Often IMO this can nauseate...flashy videos, computer samples, misogynist rap, teen artists/bands etc etc

Every 10..20..30 or so years mankind has a responsibility to throw away the rule book and upset as many people as possible...

V

:-({|=

Same can be said of Jazz.

Think about this: What made a particular musician great in it's day was the talent, which HAS to come out because people had to listen, or see performances. The quality, or skill of the musician had a great impact on who was popular and who wasn't.

In a sense, it might be said that Rock and Roll replaced that when recordings became more available.

There were Jazz musicians/performers who could wipe the snot off of what might be considered the great guitar players. Daily, easily. AMAZING solos were being played even as they were being left behind, but nobody cared.

I guess if we follow the trend over a hundred years or so, the more technology becomes what are lives are, the less people see or experience music first-hand, and it follows that the criteria for good verses bad music has more to do with the production and crafting of songs/recordings than it does the skills of the performers. Add to that the lessening of fidelity in how we listen to music, and we get further away from experiencing, or being able to hear talent.

But who knows. I predict that at some point (not soon), people will be so overwhelmed by technology and lack of human interaction that going to a bar and club to see someone "live" will be considered a great escape, and a special thing in itself.

When I was a teenager, I probably dismissed Prince as bubble gum, teeny bopper crap. [unsure]

It wasn't until I was older and actually saw some of his live performances (not just MTV videos) that I realized how talented he actually is (was).

When I was a teenager, I probably dismissed Prince as bubble gum, teeny bopper crap. [unsure]

It wasn't until I was older and actually saw some of his live performances (not just MTV videos) that I realized how talented he actually is (was).

Me too, thing is he is a multi talented musician, keyboard by 7, guitar by 13 and drums by 14 aside from lyrics and composing. May not like his music but he for sure was/is a gifted performer.

Society has been dumbing everything down for decades. Music is not immune. I know in music there is something for everyone, and that's ok.. but the amount of total crap that exists, and people think is "Great" is bewildering.

the marginalizing of music makes it hard to differentiate who's "legend worthy" who is just another shot in the dark. That we have Taylor Swifts, and a-s-s clowns like Kanye West and the buffoons he runs with is a sign that we've lost thru technology more than we've gained with hard work and talent.

that said, I was never a fan of his music, either, he was a fine player, and a talented guy, I don't think I'd put him my top 50 all the same. Just makes me sad to learn that someone with the resources he had, went down the road to self ruin, as appears to be the case with some of the latest news we hear.

Society has been dumbing everything down for decades. Music is not immune. I know in music there is something for everyone, and that's ok.. but the amount of total crap that exists, and people think is "Great" is bewildering.

the marginalizing of music makes it hard to differentiate who's "legend worthy" who is just another shot in the dark. That we have Taylor Swifts, and a-s-s clowns like Kanye West and the buffoons he runs with is a sign that we've lost thru technology more than we've gained with hard work and talent.

that said, I was never a fan of his music, either, he was a fine player, and a talented guy, I don't think I'd put him my top 50 all the same. Just makes me sad to learn that someone with the resources he had, went down the road to self ruin, as appears to be the case with some of the latest news we hear.

Yeah, definitely not top 5o though proficient. He's in a different catagory imo, more like Stevie Wonder or Lucky Peterson. Multi talented.

But I cared as much for his music as I did Britney Spears. Just saying, I never owned anything by him and unless someone else was playing it, it didn't interest me. But the better musicians like him make it seem so simple that anyone watching simply can’t conceive of the amount of work that goes into a performance, thats the part thats mind boggling. He was so shy he didn't trust anyone and did everything himself from the start.

That we have Taylor Swifts, and a-s-s clowns like Kanye West and the buffoons he runs with is a sign that we've lost thru technology more than we've gained with hard work and talent.

I am not so sure about Taylor Swift. The young woman CAN sing, and has a certain heart when it comes to songs. I would judge her direction, and her involvement and emphasis as to where she puts her talents, efforts, or perhaps being more blunt-her conforming to the music industry. But I bet if left to just a guitar and her voice and becoming a REAL musician, I bet she has lots there.

The Prince part: I am interested in what you heard. I heard a couple rumors it was an overdose, or involvement in drugs, but wasn't sure if I wanted to write that off as gossip.

I heard a couple rumors it was an overdose, or involvement in drugs, but wasn't sure if I wanted to write that off as gossip.

TMZ reported that according to the news. I don't know but it was an odd sequence of circumstances. You never hear the truth about these things imo. The story gets spun so much that by time you do hear the truth you don't believe it anyway. I think he was mildly troubled but I suppose when you become a mega millionaire thats called eccentric, slightly strange sums him up well though. Then again we broadened the boundary of "normal" now anyway. [biggrin]

I am not so sure about Taylor Swift. The young woman CAN sing, and has a certain heart when it comes to songs. I would judge her direction, and her involvement and emphasis as to where she puts her talents, efforts, or perhaps being more blunt-her conforming to the music industry. But I bet if left to just a guitar and her voice and becoming a REAL musician, I bet she has lots there.

fair enough, I can't really listen to a whole song, so I really have no facts other than, the music she's creating, I have zero interest in. (My grand daughters however, love it!)

The Prince part: I am interested in what you heard. I heard a couple rumors it was an overdose, or involvement in drugs, but wasn't sure if I wanted to write that off as gossip.

the emergency landing you hear about? the word is, he was given injections of NARCAN, (on the tarmac by air port parameds) and then re-treated again at the hospital. The Doc's there wanted him overnight, but since there were no private rooms, his publicist decided they were heading home.

and if you had "a flu" there's little speculation that you would not need an emergency landing at an air field 45 minutes away from "home"

And it's also reported that the night before he died, he was seen pacing in a parking lot outside a Walgreen while someone went in the store to pickup "something" looking agitated, sweating profusely. and they went back to this particular pharmacy 4 times.

given the fact that he was fine one day, and in dire need of help the next, sounds nothing like a "Flu"...

suffice to say, something is starting to smell a little bad here.

Guest Farnsbarns

There is great music and there are great musicians out there. Some are making it too, just that there's a lot more drivel being force fed whenever you step outside your house. The good music hasn't gone away. Just look for it and try not to let the drivel that 90% of the world seem to like bother you.

I decided to leave a shop and buy trainers (sneakers?) in a different shop for slightly more the other day just because they had this dreadful R+B pop sh1te at an outrageous volume. The other shop's site was just as bad but at about 1/3 the volume.

....I guess if we follow the trend over a hundred years or so, the more technology becomes what are lives are, the less people see or experience music first-hand, and it follows that the criteria for good versus bad music has more to do with the production and crafting of songs/recordings than it does the skills of the performers.....

Very well put. I think there is much in what you say.

Fox news just reported he was on "Percocet".....

I just googled it. Christ!

A fundamental truth in life is that there is nothing new under the sun.

Therefore,

a fundamental truth in life absolutely has to be that no person and/or their production is not replaceable.

You don't like what is current and find it an unworthy replacement for Prince. Hendrix. Lennon. Whomever. Somebody else does find current production of current people a worthy replacement, and they always will. It is the nature of humans, otherwise we'd all be looking at Renaissance paintings and listening to lute music because there were no worthy replacements after DaVinci and Lute Guy died.

rct

"I decided to leave a shop and buy trainers (sneakers?) in a different shop for slightly more the other day just because they had this dreadful R+B pop sh1te at an outrageous volume. The other shop's site was just as bad but at about 1/3 the volume."

Exactly, happens to me all the time and that's stupid as my demographic has money to spend though tend to get disregarded as "old farts" and somehow less worthy that younger people.

Is it time for a resurgence of 60's music, Beatles, Stones?

It will happen I reckon~

A fundamental truth in life is that there is nothing new under the sun.

Therefore,

a fundamental truth in life absolutely has to be that no person and/or their production is not replaceable.

You don't like what is current and find it an unworthy replacement for Prince. Hendrix. Lennon. Whomever. Somebody else does find current production of current people a worthy replacement, and they always will. It is the nature of humans, otherwise we'd all be looking at Renaissance paintings and listening to lute music because there were no worthy replacements after DaVinci and Lute Guy died.

rct

I kinda hate rct for being so damn right all the time but I have to move this quote to the beginning of my

post because it fundamentally supports everything I believe to be true about music and the "business".

rct,, you suck dude. Quit being so damn logical all the time. It's getting annoying. ;)

Who will replace Prince? Who will replace Bowie, Frye, Michael Jackson, Lemmy, incredible talents?

With all due respect I totally disagree with the OP. Every single one of the people you mention replaced someone.

As much as I love Bowie and as much as I know he pioneered "that", he still replaced someone.

And there will be someone to replace each and every one of the ones you mention.

I fall into the "somebody else" category of rct's post. While yourself and perhaps the majority of other folks arguments are that there is no good music out there because all that's left out there is the Beebz and Swift, I completely, wholeheartedly disagree. There is tons of great music out there.

I for one am a huge Jack White fan. He may be no Hendrix but believe you me, he WILL go down in rock and roll history as a legend. There is plenty of new talent out there. The sucky part is you have to go looking for it.

The problem you speak of arises because what you "like", doesn't fit the successful "formula", for what the majority of record producers who want to make money are looking for, to produce.

There are still people out there making real music,, "formula" be damned.

I challenge you to go looking. Trust me. You will find it.

All I can offer up is this. This link is from a local band here in my city.

A very small city in the grand scheme of things. If our dinky a$$ little town can muster up this kind

of talent, imagine what a big city can do. There are also plenty of other Canadian links I can offer up. But I won't.

This is just from my small city. I'm not crazy about this style of music but it's authentic and it's real. It's good music. I could sit and watch them all night with a few pops.

It's not formulated. It's not polished up for sale. It is what it is.

There is tons of it out there. All you have to do is look. Go see for yourself.

And then there's this. This dude is a local I grew up watching perform at various venues around town.

A local legend. Please don't tell me there is no talent these days.

This was 92. You should see him now.

Dude, there are plenty of legends left. Some haven't even been born yet.

but the amount of total crap that exists, and people think is "Great" is bewildering.

It is isn't it. I don't so much think that people truly think it's great. They just don't care, or know any better. They just want to be part of something and look cool with their friends. They are being spoon fed their coolness and don't even know it.

They are just too damn lazy to know any better. All this modern pop crap is formulated. Created and manufactured

to sell. Flooded onto the airwaves and forced down their gulping throats.

The only reason I can fathom in my small mind,, to want to be a part of whatever the Beebz is selling, has to be

marketed to teeny bopper girls. My 14 year old son hates him. My 10 yr old daughter loves him. And loves Swift.

Go figure.

There seems to be a situation regarding painkillers...probably existed for decades...

Percocet looks like another of the many fairly easily obtained paracetamol/codeine blends

No prescription or registration required...some peoples' way to keep going when feeling 'under the weather'

Add in some viral infection, exhaustion and desire to party and perform

And an over-dose can occur by accident/carelessness etc

Some folks in their late 50's might still be imagining they are in their 20's.... :blink:

A sad loss of a vital and energetic talent.... [thumbup]

Awaiting the toxicology report in a few weeks time....

V

:-({|=

Well everyone replaces someone or something.

Take the Beatles. They took fiftys Rock and Roll added a few jazz chords learnt from the guy in the Liverpool music shop and sold it back to America. And at no better time, the USA was looking for something after the death of JFK and the Bobby's singing on the radio. In the UK we were listening to Trad Jazz, the market was wide open. Time passes, things change!

Truly unique innovators like Prince and Bowie generally bring with them a certain unconventionality.

Unlike the blue-collar 'regular guy' personalities like Huey Lewis and Jeff Beck, they are so often way out there on their own plane of existence, creatively, socially, and in their personal habits.

Bowie overcame his drug demons years ago, went on to be a good husband and father, and then was sadly taken by liver cancer.

Prince was always a bit of a loner, but spent most of his life respecting his body, and being careful not to abuse himself with drugs, alcohol, or bad food choices.

Sad to think that he may have suffered a pain-pill addiction late in life, and that it did him in.

My own wife is a recovering pain pill addict, and her struggle to remain clean and sober is truly something to witness.

She works so hard, and I'm really proud of her.

But the struggle is real, and it gets worse for our society by the day.

Prescription medication abuse and addiction has become a HUGE problem, here and abroad, and there will be many more such deaths if we don't stand up to the doctors and the pharmaceutical industry.

:unsure:

Archived