Gibson Brands Forums

Brian Johnson finally speaks about what happened

Rabs

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/04/19/entertainment/brian-johnson-ac-dc/

CNN) — AC/DC lead singer Brian Johnson is speaking out about his hearing loss.

Fans knew that Guns N' Roses front man Axl Rose would replace Johnson on AC/DC's "Rock or Bust" world tour. But on Tuesday, Johnson, who has been with the band for 36 years, detailed what led to his decision and what he called the "darkest day" of his professional life.

Singer Axl Rose to join AC/DC "Rock or Bust" world tour

"On March 7th, after a series of examinations by leading physicians in the field of hearing loss, I was advised that if I continue to perform at large venues, I risked total deafness," Johnson said in a statement. "While I was horrified at the reality of the news that day, I had for a time become aware that my partial hearing loss was beginning to interfere with my performance on stage."

Johnson, who joined AC/DC in 1980 after the death of original singer Bon Scott, said he was having trouble hearing the guitars and other musicians on stage.

AC/DC reschedules shows to save lead singer's hearing

"Our fans deserve my performance to be at the highest level, and if for any reason I can't deliver that level of performance I will not disappoint our fans or embarrass the other members of AC/DC," Johnson said. "I am not a quitter and I like to finish what I start, nevertheless, the doctors made it clear to me and my bandmates that I had no choice but to stop performing on stage for the remaining shows and possibly beyond."

Johnson said doctors have advised him that for now he cannot perform in loud stadiums or arenas. But he said he has no plans to leave the music industry permanently.

"My doctors have told me that I can continue to record in studios and I intend to do that," Johnson said in his statement. "For the moment, my entire focus is to continue medical treatment to improve my hearing. I am hoping that in time my hearing will improve and allow me to return to live concert performances."

AC/DC is expected to soon announce the rescheduling of 10 U.S. dates that will include Rose at the microphone.

And I just found this more detailed report

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/brian_johnson_on_leaving_acdc_i_dont_want_to_embarrass_the_band_and_the_fans.html?no_takeover

UPDATE: Brian Johnson has now issued the following official note: "As many AC/DC fans know, the remaining shows for the 2016 AC/DC Rock or Bust World Tour, including 10 postponed U.S. shows, are being rescheduled with a guest singer.

"I want personally to explain the reason because I don't believe the earlier press releases sufficiently set out what I wanted to say to our fans or the way in which I thought it should be presented.

"On March 7th, after a series of examinations by leading physicians in the field of hearing loss, I was advised that if I continue to perform at large venues, I risked total deafness. While I was horrified at the reality of the news that day, I had for a time become aware that my partial hearing loss was beginning to interfere with my performance on stage.

"I was having difficulty hearing the guitars on stage and because I was not able to hear the other musicians clearly, I feared the quality of my performance could be compromised. In all honesty this was something I could not in good conscience allow. Our fans deserve my performance to be at the highest level, and if for any reason I can't deliver that level of performance I will not disappoint our fans or embarrass the other members of AC/DC.

"I am not a quitter and I like to finish what I start, nevertheless, the doctors made it clear to me and my bandmates that I had no choice but to stop performing on stage for the remaining shows and possibly beyond. That was the darkest day of my professional life.

"Since that day, I have had several consultations with my doctors and it appears that, for the near future, I will be unable to perform on stage at arena and stadium size venues where the sound levels are beyond my current tolerance, without the risk of substantial hearing loss and possibly total deafness. Until that time, I tried as best as I could to continue despite the pain and hearing loss but it all became too much to bear and too much to risk.

"I am personally crushed by this development more than anyone could ever imagine. The emotional experience I feel now is worse than anything I have ever in my life felt before. Being part of AC/DC, making records and performing for the millions of devoted fans this past 36 years has been my life's work. I cannot imagine going forward without being part of that, but for now I have no choice. The one thing for certain is that I will always be with AC/DC at every show in spirit, if not in person.

"Most importantly, I feel terrible having to disappoint the fans who bought tickets for the canceled shows and who have steadfastly supported me and AC/DC these many years. Words cannot express my deep gratitude and heartfelt thanks not just for the recent outpouring to me personally of kind words and good wishes, but also for the years of loyal support of AC/DC. My thanks also go to Angus and Cliff for their support.

"Finally, I wish to assure our fans that I am not retiring. My doctors have told me that I can continue to record in studios and I intend to do that. For the moment, my entire focus is to continue medical treatment to improve my hearing. I am hoping that in time my hearing will improve and allow me to return to live concert performances. While the outcome is uncertain, my attitude is optimistic. Only time will tell.

"Once again, my sincere best wishes and thanks to everyone for their support and understanding.

"Love, Brian"

Makes you wanna turn things down a bit, eh? [biggrin]

My ears been ringing for so long I think its normal now.

Ive seen both Motohead and Type O Negative in smallish venues standing right at the front next to the speakers.. My ears are still ringing from that :unsure:

Ive seen both Motohead and Type O Negative in smallish venues standing right at the front next to the speakers.. My ears are still ringing from that :unsure:

Telecasters bother me the most when really cranked. I don't know why its that particular frequency but they actually hurt.

Brian Johnson was one heck of a singer to step in behind Scott. You think Rose can do that?

Telecasters bother me the most when really cranked. I don't know why its that particular frequency but they actually hurt.

Brian Johnson was one heck of a singer to step in behind Scott. You think Rose can do that?

If he behaves himself, maybe...

The thing about him is he has two different voices.. His growly screamy high voice and one where hes trying to actually sing...

His growly screamy voice I think does suit AC/DC but not his normal voice.. And I think hes gonna have to take a step back a bit for Angus.. I donno.. its 50/50 id say?

If he behaves himself, maybe...

The thing about him is he has two different voices.. His growly screamy high voice and one where hes trying to actually sing...

His growly screamy voice I think does suit AC/DC but not his normal voice.. And I think hes gonna have to take a step back a bit for Angus.. I donno.. its 50/50 id say?

The Welcome to the Jungle voice will suffice?

I don't know Bon and Brain were peas of the same pod. Least they are back in business for the moment.

The Welcome to the Jungle voice will suffice?

I don't know Bon and Brain were peas of the same pod. Least they are back in business for the moment.

Its a tough situation really.. I reckon that they absolutely HAVE to do these gigs contractually or they would have just cancelled so it was find a new singer who no one knows OR get someone in who is an attraction (even though a lot of people have issues with him).. So I guess they thought it would be better for the fans to have a big name fill in.. who knows..

Its not like hes AC/DCs new singer or anything, hes just filling in, in an emergency.. Personally though, if I had bought a ticket to see AC/DC not knowing this, id be pretty disappointed. Ahh man, who knows.. Maybe it will be great and we are all wrong?

Sounds about right. Then start auditioning.

To be honest its all so confusing to my head... It doesn't quite feel real.

Like with Prince... I just cant take it all in properly.. :unsure:

Rose is just too much of a d**k, sad thing is he is from about 70 miles from where I live and I still would not walk across the street to see him free.

[biggrin] There may be a majority out here who think the same about him, he's a brat for sure.

Yeah if you want to know what it's like living with ear damage, just ask me!

Your not one of those who refuse to wear a hearing aid and can't hear? WHAT?? WHAT??

Can't count how many times I seen it. And refuse to see a Dr. [biggrin]

Then you start talking louder than everyone else..rotfl. I know I know.

I feel bad for your mom though, I just went through that with cancer. Couldn't eat or swallow and lost all desire to eat. 50 lbs in 7-weeks. Couldn't taste a thing in fact everything tasted terrible. Then they started talking feeding tubes and eating therapy for the throat -exercise. I started force feeding myself, amazing what you'll do to survive.

Thats what I did for 2015, with ringing ears, HPV-16. Baby boomer transmitted cancer on the CDC websight. Craziest thing I ever heard of.

Its a life paradox, we all want long life but no-one wants to get old and certainly not suffer and feel pain.

I can't complain. I was blessed with long life!!! [thumbup]

1461388244[/url]' post='1763554']

Yeah if you want to know what it's like living with ear damage, just ask me!

Or me! My ears rang for so long all day and night, keeping me up, not able to sleep for years, that now I can't even hear them ring. I sleep better at least but it's not fun not being able to hear friends and loved ones.

Or me! My ears rang for so long all day and night, keeping me up, not able to sleep for years, that now I can't even hear them ring. I sleep better at least but it's not fun not being able to hear friends and loved ones.

Ha, sleep better, is that what it is. I thought it was exhaustion along with a f-it attitude. You know how if you fall asleep with a TV on it appears louder and wakes you or you notice the loudness when you wake. So you wake and turn it down, same with the ringing, only you can't turn it down.

Thats when you notice it too in the dead silence of the night and LOUD. Its OK missing the whining and bs, its when they say; "but we talked about that over the phone and you agree'd" [biggrin]

1461413216[/url]' post='1763595']

Your not one of those who refuse to wear a hearing aid and can't hear? WHAT?? WHAT??

Can't count how many times I seen it. And refuse to see a Dr. [biggrin]

Then you start talking louder than everyone else..rotfl. I know I know.

I have hearing aids for both ears. I've had tons of hearing tests, seen lots of Doctors, they all say the same thing. Once your hearing is gone, ITS GONE, Nothing they can do. Every time you damage those hairs in your ears, they lay down and the more you damage them, more and more lay down and your hearing gets worse.

Turn down that loud music and wear ear protection. I've noticed more professional artists wearing something in concerts now. Hearing loss is permanent and there's nothing they can do is what I am told by every doctor. And I wore hearing protection every day for 34 years at the railroad as was mandatory and I know tons of guys there suffering from the same thing working from the railroad and some concerts I've been to are louder then the railroad. I usually walk out of those.

I have hearing aids for both ears. I've had tons of hearing tests, seen lots of Doctors, they all say the same thing. Once your hearing is gone, ITS GONE, Nothing they can do. Every time you damage those hairs in your ears, they lay down and the more you damage them, more and more lay down and your hearing gets worse.

Turn down that loud music and wear ear protection. I've noticed more professional artists wearing something in concerts now. Hearing loss is permanent and there's nothing they can do is what I am told by every doctor. And I wore hearing protection every day for 34 years at the railroad as was mandatory and I know tons of guys there suffering from the same thing working from the railroad and some concerts I've been to are louder then the railroad. I usually walk out of those.

Well, there is certainly a wealth of knowledge to be had, imagine, you can avoid going through what we all went through and still are. Free advice too, all you have to do and no pun intended is open your ears and listen.

Yeah, I avoid "loud" like the plague. I rarely play or listen to music at high levels etc. Rabs was talking about standing near the speaker cabs earlier I got shivers up my spine.

I've worked around jet airplanes, been to countless loud concerts, jammed and played in bands since the 90s, and now work in a machine shop. :unsure:

I still somehow don't have any significant hearing loss or ringing ears. :-k I do remember my ears ringing for several days after I stood inches away from Lonnie Mac's speaker stack though.

"I am hoping that in time my hearing will improve and allow me to return to live concert performances."

Sure - sounds reasonable, why not? The medical journals are filled with people aged 68 years plus whose hearing improves, allowing them to once again subject their ears to live concert sound pressure levels.

Now me, personally? I am hoping that in time my hair will retain its former luster and grow in thicker, my joints will improve along with my digestive and urological functions, which will allow me a shot to one day audition for The Rolling Stones.

When it comes to rock 'n' roll, 70 is the new 20.

"I am hoping that in time my hearing will improve and allow me to return to live concert performances."

Sure - sounds reasonable, why not? The medical journals are filled with people aged 68 years plus whose hearing improves, allowing them to once again subject their ears to live concert sound pressure levels.

Now me, personally? I am hoping that in time my hair will retain its former luster and grow in thicker, my joints will improve along with my digestive and urological functions, which will allow me a shot to one day audition for The Rolling Stones.

When it comes to rock 'n' roll, 70 is the new 20.

I know I shouldn't have, but I laughed. Hard.

rct

I gotta say this.

The man was doing EXTREMELY loud stuff for many, many years, and rocking out hard.

At his age. Damn.

Age is harder on the vocalist than any other, and he lasted this long. Seems a fitting end that it's his hearing that finally goes. What it really means is the rest of him outlasted.

The man is a rock machine.

Archived