Gibson Brands Forums

Say Happy Birthday to Glen Campbell

Thanks to Dave F for reminding us that Glen Campbell turned 80 yesterday.

As Dave wrote: We may as well wish him a Happy Birthday...and send prayers out to his family and caretakers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B49YDR6OMIE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0TqMD5SEIw

Happy Birthday Glen. Thanks for the memories!

Glen Campbell was always a one-of-a-kind player, songwriter, and singer.

He seemed to always put a lot of joy into his performances, though there were times in his life when there wasn't enough joy to go around.

I still find Lineman For The County to be one of the most beautiful songs ever written.

I wish him well in his later years.

Sad to know that he is steadily losing it all to Alzheimers, but glad to know that he is dealing with it like a trooper.

[crying]

Not trying to take anything away from Glen Campbell here. He's one of the great performers and interpreters of the last 50 years. But both "Wichita Lineman" and "By the time I get to Phoenix" are songs from the pen of Jimmy Webb, perhaps one of the most versatile composers of American popular song in the second half of the 20th century.

Glen Campbell was, and is, a national treasure. So is Jimmy Webb.

From the most current news, looks like he going downhill fast now and in the final stages of the disease. I wish him the very best possible. Maybe he doesn't even know what's happening. Whatever, I hope he's at peace in himself......Here's "the master" with one of his Ovation's. When he plays this with an electric he puts the guitar on top of his head and never misses a beat. He was blazing fast and a tremendous entertainer. I don't think anyone ever came closer to being a guitar wizard. Glad he got his life together before the end...........

Happy birthday Glen.

I met him 2 years ago in a work situation and I told him that I grew up in Arkansas and also trained in Galveston many years ago. I said his song woke my then wife and I up on the clock radio (remember those) the day I found out we were moving to Galveston. He immediately gave Jimmy web credit for writing Galveston. Then he said, "Yea I left Arkansas when I was a teenager. I got tired of looking at the north end of a south bound mule".

He was still pretty much there 2 years ago. We had a laughing fit over that remark.

happy birthday glen, allways, gentle on my mind..... remember john hartford as well....

John Hartford, now there was a picker and fiddler. My first memory of John was from the old Glen Campbell show. I followed him from then on, bought all of his CDs, and was saddened to lose him so young.

Archived