Gibson Brands Forums

What happened when Monkees fans met Jimi

Rabs

Ive heard about this story where Jimi and co were booked to open for The Monkees.. (someones idiotic idea)..

Just check out the crowd and how unimpressed they are.. I guess that's what happens when they go to see a pop band and get Hendrix right in the face :D (if you don't wanna watch the whole thing just go to about 3:36 )

I wonder how many of the audience now fondly remember that event as been "right in there" at the start of Hendrix's fame?

He wasn't as bigga deal to us that lived through him as he was to later peoples, so they probably barely remember it.

rct

I have read interviews where the members of the Monkees were impressed with what a nice guy Hendrix was, and how well they all got along.

They (the Monkees and Jimi) even spent some time visiting with the Beatles, right around the same time.

:)

I have read interviews where the members of the Monkees were impressed with what a nice guy Hendrix was, and how well they all got along.

:)

From the horses mouth (or is that Monkees mouth :))

Monkees booked with Hendrix , the promoter need to be fired.

4H

The Monkeys were well-established, for what it was worth, before Hendrix appeared on the scene. So, it made sense that they be at the top of the bill.

But that all changed very soon after this performance was filmed, I am sure.

Watched "The Wrecking Crew" and Micky Dolenz said "The Monkees," being actors, were quite

surprised, they'd have to "tour." It was just a TV show, after all. So, they quickly had

to learn to play, just well enough, to do "Live" shows. The Wrecking Crew did all their records

backing tracks. And, knowing Hendrix, his stage show's volume was probably the first time

those kids had heard something louder, than their own screams! Must have been a real "hoot!"

CB

Archived