Gibson Brands Forums

1964 Gibson B25-12N Twelve String

BluesKing777

It was mentioned in another thread, but deserves it's own!

My 1964 Gibson B25-12N.

I drove in to the city here yesterday to look at a music shop I went to years and years ago (and many owners since). It is right smack in the middle of the absolute worst place to get a park in history but I managed a park on the street around the corner. Never count on that! I picked up a set of 12 string Elixir Nano 80/20 Lights and another Elixir Poly Lights to try - all they had, one pack of each. I got a couple of music/TAB books and played the 3 Gibson acoustics they had for a mo - J45 Standard, L-00 TV and Hummingbird Standard. OK but suffering from living in the walkway from the front door to the back and getting a weird air change every time the doors open - my guess. Some love and attention would bring them up nicely!

Hound and Better Half waiting in the car for a promised walk along the river bank so we could dither. Hoofed back up this hill I didn't notice on the way down and drove to an area by the river with the throng enjoying a mild sunny afternoon lazing on the riverbank lawns and lots of bbq and cooking happening. Boss stayed in the car to avoid seeing anyone she knew with her hair wrong or something and the Hound and I had a stroll along the path through dappled sun and old trees with the city in the background. Paris comes to Melbourne!

So the 12 string will get it's new strings as soon as I stop typing.........

GibsonB25-12NF_zpsu9wbktns.jpg

GibsonB25-12NB_zpsstsxmhlo.jpg

BluesKing777.

I was thinkng more Glen C and Linesman Of The County......

The strings have been changed at great expense to management - pig of a job took hours because: a. 12 strings b. Last string change by guitar tech whose revenge was to give the strings at tuner end a 'lock' ( couple of twists with needle nose pliers) - fat strings awful to get untangled with these locks but the skinnies are just impossible without cutting the string off and taking the guitar out in the bright daylight - just can't see the little things to untwist. c. Murphy's Law says the Guitar Fairies are waiting to watch you undo and tighten the worst tuners I have.... .

But we made it through and tuned it and strummed some Bob and Neil and for la difference some Lou Reed 'Perfect Day' and 'Waiting For My Man'.

BluesKing777.

I can't imagine changing 12 strings. With 6 I'm constantly sweating bullets because I'm sure one of them is going to poke me in the eye. No doubt that's the reason so many musicians are named Blind Boy This or Blind Boy That.

Ask BBG: it's true.

PS: It's Witchita Linesman or Coward of the County (the latter was by Kenny Rogers).

Cannot imagine that twin neck 12+6 from Jimmy P getting strings too often!

What about The Coward From Witchita for a tune name.

BluesKing777.

I never could figure out the purpose of those twin necks until I posted that vid of Stairway the other day. I wonder how many of those are floating around. People just had to have one because Robert Plant has one.

Or, I wonder how many people buy 12 strings because they just can't decide between 12 and 6 so they figure they'll get the 12 and remove 6 strings when they want. Probably the same people that by that Chevy that converts between an SUV and a pick up.

Coward from Witchita sounds good. Let's get Anne, Lars, Buc, and Sal to compete to write it.

And by the way, if you want to read a great book on songwriting try Tunesmith by Jimmy Webb.

Nice to read some 12 string lore.... [thumbup]

A few 12 strings here...no Gibsons...more Ovation,Taylor,Yamaha etc

Enjoy 'pianistic' stuff like Elton John, Procol Harum...

Also Leadbelly.....and Lennon's 'Dear Prudence'

V

:-({|=

Now now up to three

j200, HB and SWD

But can't post a pic!!

I am not moved at present to purchase a Gibson 12 string...

My personal philosophy for several years, providing much mirth for friends and band members, has been to follow the '3-4' rule... <_<

For the £2000 or so English notes it takes to enjoy a top range Gibson

I can own 3-4 very competent low-medium equivalents from the likes of Ovation, Yamaha, Breedlove, Crafter, Takamine et al

All with solid tops and excellent Fishman or Baggs P/U's.... [thumbup]

Easy to plug in to typical PA's...generally forgiving and with robust construction...

Varying tonal characters and ergonomics can be inspiring...

V

:-({|=

Nice you put some suntan oil on it for the trip to the beach!

My photography! There is a reflection of something and hardly anything left shiny on the guitar top. It does look oily, but it is not.

The back got a clear coat of varnish from a previous owner.....

BluesKing777.

My photography! There is a reflection of something and hardly anything left shiny on the guitar top. It does look oily, but it is not.

The back got a clear coat of varnish from a previous owner.....

BluesKing777.

I know it looks good! Fighting the evils of envy here.

Archived