Gibson Brands Forums

Found Old 60's Mercury Tube Tester for Sale on Craigslist

RevDavidLee

Not sure how long the seller will leave this ad up because I bought this from him 2 hours ago but hopefully long enough for you guys to see pictures of this thing:

(Removed link because seller took ad down - adding pictures now)

Turns out I know the guy - he used to give guitar lessons at the local Gibson dealer and he had this wonderful artifact sitting in his studio. Some of you older folks may remember back in the day you could find these in many drugstores & hardware stores & just walk in and check your tubes yourself. I'm having a wonderful time tonight.

I have another fellow who is going to check it out and check the calibration and so forth for me. Yes I realize the newer tube testers are much more informative and high tech - but this kind of stuff excites me. I know I'm weird & I don't care. It looks great in the studio. :)

I'll check back tomorrow and if he's taken the ad down, I will post up pictures I took of it when I got it home this evening.

Is it something like this?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/141971579269

I'm too young, never seen such a thing but it looks cool!

And surprisingly unexpensive.

I bought the whole thing, cart & all for $150. Our local amp techs charge $60 per hour for bench time and with north of 45 tube amps in my collection this thing will pay for itself in very short order. If I have any issues the tubes will get checked first by me. I can replace tubes & bias most of the amps myself - but if it's something else - it goes to a qualified amp tech so I don't stupidly kill myself and end up being named a Darwin Award winner. [crying][biggrin]

I bought the whole thing, cart & all for $150. Our local amp techs charge $60 per hour for bench time and with north of 45 tube amps in my collection this thing will pay for itself in very short order. If I have any issues the tubes will get checked first by me. I can replace tubes & bias most of the amps myself - but if it's something else - it goes to a qualified amp tech so I don't stupidly kill myself and end up being named a Darwin Award winner. [crying][biggrin]

Wow, really nice love the looks.

And 150 bucks is not that much, thats pedal price in my book.

Nice catch!

Cool find. Fortunately it has the charts with it. As far as actually using it those are crucial.

A word of caution... tubes have changed over the years. These old units are great for testing old tubes, but not so good with modern tubes. I've learned this the hard way.

I have one of these old EMC units...

tubetester_emc_400s.jpg

Cool find. Fortunately it has the charts with it. As far as actually using it those are crucial.

A word of caution... tubes have changed over the years. These old units are great for testing old tubes, but not so good with modern tubes. I've learned this the hard way.

tubetester_emc_400s.jpg

Thanks for the heads up! [thumbup]

tubetester_emc_400s.jpg

50s-60s knobs were the coolest [biggrin]

Interesting that both units were made in NY. Can't think of hardly anything made in NY currently.

Electro-Harmonix? Assembled in NYC anyway, eh?

As far as I know, EHX has all of their circuits pre assembled in China.

They tighten a few screws and nuts in NY, plug it in to see if it works, and then call it made in NYC. Not even remotely in the same realm as something like these tube testers, which had to have been made by hand by somebody that had to actually use their brain and maybe even put some pride into their work

As far as I know, EHX has all of their circuits pre assembled in China.

They tighten a few screws and nuts in NY, plug it in to see if it works, and then call it made in NYC. Not even remotely in the same realm as something like these tube testers, which had to have been made by hand by somebody that had to actually use their brain and maybe even put some pride into their work

Dream crusher!

Archived