Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Lessons

pappy

Ok I know things cost a lot more than back when I was taking guitar lessons back in the good old days,Been doing my search for a teacher,and I am a little blown away at the prices.The average I have found to this point is $50.00 for a half hour. Folks is this the going rate these days for a guitar lesson?This is in their studio or home studio,if they come to my house it is $60.00 for the half hour lesson.

Need a little input,thanks. Feeling just a bit of sticker shock.

Pappy.

Sounds about right Pappy. When I was a teen, my cousin came to my house and gave me a lesson a week for $25.00. That was 43 years ago and my cousin! Could be more. Chess lessons are well over $100.00. That's why I signed up to Guitaer Tricks. $125.00 for a year, and they cover everything except to watch you play. Type in Guitar Tricks and when it pops up, check it out. It's a one month free trial and if you don't like it, you can opt out. I've learned a ton and they cover all styles of music. Proper way to hold a pick to scales, bends and slides, basics to advanced and a scroll list of songs to play that's unbelievable. They have many teachers that take you through step by step, show you how to set the amp and tone, you can easily back up or stop the video, they have notation if you want and a question help line with a response. The hardest thing is to practice what you learn, but I find it does come and you do get better. This is my 3rd year with them and I've gone from a difficulty of 1 to 3. My goal is to get to 4 and I have done 4 difficulty songs. Just not as many as I'd like. Good luck on finding an instructor if that's your goal.

Yeah the cost kept me from playing for a long time. Then came youtube. There is a lot crap to weed through. Not saying it is better. Not recommendeing it. Just saying it is an alternative. it was my alternative. I support a large family and do not have a lot of fun money for myself. Between YouTube and just talking guitar with anyone that would I I found someone who is good that lets me pick with them weekly. Kind of a Curtis Lowe thing. I sound bad a lot of times I am sure but I am learning and he does not mind. Maybe he is just going deaf. He shares and confirms a lot of brain nuggets for me.

Then came youtube. There is a lot crap to weed through.

One thing I found with YT is before I spend an amount of time looking at the video, I check the comments. If they're "Dude, awesome, thanks a lot" it's worth watching. If it's "Dude, WTF was this waste of time posted for?" well, you get the idea...

1461801239[/url]' post='1764914']

One thing I found with YT is before I spend an amount of time looking at the video, I check the comments. If they're "Dude, awesome, thanks a lot" it's worth watching. If it's "Dude, WTF was this waste of time posted for?" well, you get the idea...

Yes, I saw a lot of that too. Some good, some not so good, and I also saw incomplete lessons. They teach you part of the song and you go back searching to find the rest of it. Actually, that's how I started when I retired and picked up guitar again when I finally stumbled onto guitar tricks. One thing I like about it is that they teach you what all the guitars are doing in a song like say: Hotel California. They have a 4 guitar difficulty and a one guitar beginner so you can learn where your at. Another thing, on U Tube they don't spend time to tell you where there placing fingers on strings most of the time. They go through too quick. Guitar tricks goes over stuff like that, and over again. They take you through slow at first and play along with you at the end. You get a series of lessons in each video till they cover the whole song and what each guitar is doing so you can decide which part you want to play, or learn all the parts.

I have found to this point is $50.00 for a half hour.

it sounds a little steep for what we see around here, (central mass) it's about 25 bucks a lesson, but it's paid in monthly installments.

but that's what goes on HERE, in some of the local stores..

it sounds a little steep for what we see around here,

Ya here too.

I took a few more lessons a couple years ago myself, but I see he is still charging the same thing.

75 bucks a month for 4 1/2 hour lessons.

And he was no slouch. Berklee grad via online courses. 60 yrs old with a lifetime of gigging to back it up.

Can teach theory up the ying yang and tab out what ever you want to learn pretty much on the spot.

Or get it to you the following week.

While I agree with the online learning stuff I find that lessons will keep you more focused.

I've tried the online stuff but I get easily distracted by the next shiny thing I see and my focus sways.

With lessons you are given stuff to work on and you report back the following week to show progress.

A good teacher can tell you far more than you need in 30 minutes to keep you plenty busy for a week.

If that's the going rate where you are suck it up, give it a go and find a guy you can relate to.

Good guitar teachers are kinda hard to find. You may have to look around.

Quapman pretty much nailed me and my study habits. Easily distracted and really need someone to keep me on track. I sit down and started lessons several times on you tube,and next thing I know I am right back trying to play a song without really doing the prelims to learn the proper method.So my search continues.

Pappy

Yep. quapman did nail it. My instructor was $80/mo. for 4 half hour lessons. (That rate was about five years ago.) We was very good with a very similar education and background as quapman's. A good teacher is hard to find, and you don't want to spend the money for someone who can't teach you what you want to know.

$50 for a half hour sounds expensive. I was paying $50 for an hour recently for lessons. I quit after the teacher and I exhausted absolutely everything we had in common musically and it became a waste of money. YouTube and other websites are great, but they can't respond to your questions or watch you play. Nothing beats a good guitar instructor if you want to improve quickly. I've taken lessons 3 different times in my 28 years of playing and I always learned something valuable. This last time I focused on advanced music theory rather than technique.

It all depends I think, at least over here. Currently with a lady who charges $30 per half hour and I really enjoy it as she is an excellent mentor for me. However, if - and it is a BIG if - I went with a tutor who has a PhD in music (such as some of these dudes - https://guitartrek.net/ ), I'd expect to pay more which does assume they would be stupid enough to take me.

Hello!

I pay $9 (2600 Hungarian Forints) for an hour long lesson to my instructor. She is Dr. of Science at Academy of Music...

Well, of course it's the country with lowest wages in Europe...

Bence.

I checked in Omaha Ne. And their $20.00 to $40.00 for half an hour. Talked to my mother and she insists I started playing guitar at 12. I had two cousins teach me. The first played in a band and didn't charge her for lessons, so I got lessons for free. When he went to Vietnam, my other cousin took over and the lessons were also free She says. But I remember Fredie couldn't read music and Stephen did. The first taught me Ventures styl and the second taught classical.

Archived