Gibson Brands Forums

is this a fake les paul?

Gibson Artist

Wow!

You dudes care way too much about this.

Not really.

Truth be told, I am a lifelong student of human psychology, and a creative writer.

I'm pretty much just entertaining myself with this, and making mental notes for future writing projects involving antagonistic fellows from all around the globe having a go at one another over a fairly trivial matter.

But I do find it curious that nobody else wants to see the serial number in question.

:unsure:

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not really.

Truth be told, I am a lifelong student of human psychology, and a creative writer.

I'm pretty much just entertaining myself with this, and making mental notes for future writing projects involving antagonistic fellows from all around the globe having a go at one another over a fairly trivial matter.

But I do find it curious that nobody else wants to see the serial number in question.

:unsure:

now its become bull$hit.

now its become bull$hit.

No sir, it is NOT.

My detached bemusement at it all doesn't change the fact that the proponents of the 'this is definitely a genuine Gibson guitar' theory demonstrate ZERO INTEREST in seeing the actual serial number.

(The serial number that, by the way, would either confirm or deny the notion that this is a 1980's LP, and therefore confirming or denying the reality that the jacked-up headstock logo is either genuine or a clumsy fake.)

Curious, isn't it?

And still I remain, respectfully penitent and humble.

Awaiting the evidence.

:mellow:

Ah I see. So by definition a person who is 'stirring the pot' would not be defined as an antagonist?

And your future writings would not be considered autobiographical.

Gotcha.

Ah I see. So by definition a person who is 'stirring the pot' would not be defined as an antagonist?

And your future writings would not be considered autobiographical.

Gotcha.

It is possible, good friend quapman, to be both an antagonist and a thoughtful contributor to the community of guitarists.

I care deeply about guitar players, both the novice players and the experienced performers.

I once was a novice, and I am now far down the road along with all the other veteran on-stage performers.

As a writer, I can share this much with you, sir.

ALL future writings are autobiographical in some way or another.

Whether it be fiction or nonfiction, each writer puts some fragment of their own history and passions and desires into the final paragraphs.

We carry with us all our years of goodness, badness, nonsense, joy, bliss, bull$hit, and grief, in each and every sentence we craft.

That's not an opinion, it's the reality of art.

And music.

And writing.

And of course, guitar playing.

I offer no apologies for these simple truths.

:o

No sir, it is NOT.

My detached bemusement at it all doesn't change the fact that the proponents of the 'this is definitely a genuine Gibson guitar' theory demonstrate ZERO INTEREST in seeing the actual serial number.

(The serial number that, by the way, would either confirm or deny the notion that this is a 1980's LP, and therefore confirming or denying the reality that the jacked-up headstock logo is either genuine or a clumsy fake.)

Curious, isn't it?

Awaiting the evidence.

Who said this is an 80s Les Paul? We are saying it is a Les Paul Classic.

I can look at a real Gibson serial number and stamp it on a counterfeit. The counterfeiters have already figured that out, so it's not really an important thing to look for. You're right that we ignore the serial number, because it's not helpful to look at aside from dating the guitar. But now it seems like you're just trolling people so that they look like jerks, so I guess I'll check out of the conversation [bored]

Who said this is an 80s Les Paul? We are saying it is a Les Paul Classic.

I can look at a real Gibson serial number and stamp it on a counterfeit. The counterfeiters have already figured that out, so it's not really an important thing to look for. You're right that we ignore the serial number, because it's not helpful to look at aside from dating the guitar. But now it seems like you're just trolling people so that they look like jerks, so I guess I'll check out of the conversation [bored]

No sir.

You need not check out.

You should, instead, champion the request for the original serial number photo.

Because that could positively CONFIRM the notion that this is a genuine Gibson guitar.

JOIN me, Dub-T123.

Join me in this campaign for a complete and credible body of evidence!

I WANT you guys to be right.

I would be HAPPY to be found to be wrong.

And so then I could apologize, in good conscience!

Demand the photos of the back of the headstock and the serial number.

Help me to gather up the very evidence that would prove once and for all that I am WRONG.

[crying]

Not really.

As you proved often before, you're doubtlessly good at writing fictitious stories, giving us certain clues about your psychic state, wittingly or unwittingly.

It is possible, good friend quapman, to be both an antagonist and a thoughtful contributor to the community of guitarists.

I care deeply about guitar players, both the novice players and the experienced performers.

I once was a novice, and I am now far down the road along with all the other veteran on-stage performers.

As a writer, I can share this much with you, sir.

ALL future writings are autobiographical in some way or another.

Whether it be fiction or nonfiction, each writer puts some fragment of their own history and passions and desires into the final paragraphs.

We carry with us all our years of goodness, badness, nonsense, joy, bliss, bull$hit, and grief, in each and every sentence we craft.

That's not an opinion, it's the reality of art.

And music.

And writing.

And of course, guitar playing.

I offer no apologies for these simple truths.

:o

Replace the "we"s you left with "I"s, and all you wrote appears to be an attempt of an apology.

No sir.

You need not check out.

You should, instead, champion the request for the original serial number photo.

Because that could positively CONFIRM the notion that this is a genuine Gibson guitar.

JOIN me, Dub-T123.

Join me in this campaign for a complete and credible body of evidence!

I WANT you guys to be right.

I would be HAPPY to be found to be wrong.

And so then I could apologize, in good conscience!

Demand the photos of the back of the headstock and the serial number.

Help me to gather up the very evidence that would prove once and for all that I am WRONG.

[crying]

Cry for yourself rather wanting to appear as a guitar basher instead of simply conceding a mistake.

No sir, it is NOT.

Curious, isn't it?

Awaiting the evidence.

Actually, the evidence is in. Guitar was shown, and proved, to be genuine many post ago.

The reason it's this many pages, is seeing how or when you will see that it is, and that your abilities and methods are more resulting in being incorrect most of the time.

It's OK to be wrong, man. It's OK to suck at some stuff. You might be 10x the musician I am, which would be more admirable to most.

There is no harm done on a forum or thread such as this, where other's can chime in and show where you are in error. But on a serious note, please don't be an expert or "trusted" without the benefit of a forum or others, because the degree you are usually wrong could potentially cost someone hundreds or thousands of dollars. Don't be the only one someone is trusting.

Actually, the evidence is in. Guitar was shown, and proved, to be genuine many post ago.

With all due respect, no it has not been proven to be genuine.

Not to my satisfaction anyway.

Much like the theory of man-made global climate change, the CIA involvement in JFK's shooting, or the existence of unicorns, a chorus of voices declaring something to be so does not make it so.

(And just as in these cases above, I could be convinced, as long as a credible body of evidence were presented.)

By holding the minority opinion on this matter I remain the one skeptic, I guess.

And so be it.

I'm okay with that.

At this point, I would think more of you fellows who are spot-on convinced that the guitar is real would join me in demanding to see that evidence which I have (heretofore, politely) requested.

Then and only then can you say, "A HA, we were right, and you were wrong, Sparquelito!"

And then I can apologize.

How hard is that?

:blink:

Say fellows, I have an early mission to fly today, so I am off to work now.

I won't be back on the internet until later in the early evening, Central Standard Time.

Please ponder my advice, and consider my request.

Get the requested photo or photos together, prove me wrong (once and for all), and then I can apologize.

As it is, I remain unconvinced, that that apology is not forthcoming.

[mellow]

I'm no expert, but even I know that counterfeiters will stamp real serial numbers on their fake guitars so seeing the back of the headstock on this guitar will not definitively prove anything.

Cool. . . With the okee-dokee coming from you, though you didn't mention it, I'll assume the backside is fine - serial good, wings are there and no scarf.

But I'm pretty sure Sparky won't agree. . . B)

Troll

trōl/

noun

A person whose sole purpose in life is to seek out people to argue with on the internet over extremely trivial issues.

It's all very scientific, you see. :rolleyes:

No, friend Searcy, that is an incorrect statement, and it is an absurd and petty conclusion on your part.

An internet troll is person whose sole purpose in life is to seek out people to argue with on the internet over extremely trivial issues.

If you were to take the time to review the entirety (or even select bits) of my posting history on this guitar web forum, you would know that I am not in the habit of arguing with anybody, let alone over trivial issues.

To Farnsbarns' query:

Sparky, this all seems a bit out of character. Are you OK?

No, there is nothing wrong here, and I am a-okay, but I do appreciate your asking.

It’s just that I choose not to back down on this particular issue.

If I felt, at this point in time, that I was wrong, and the other fellows who believe this guitar to be legitimate were right, I would have apologized a long time ago.

As it is, I’m simply not convinced yet.

To that end, I have PM’ed the original poster, Gibson Artist, and made a personal request for him to post the requested photos and/or information.

To his comment:

Well, i thank everyone for their opinion, who knew this would go 6 pages lol. I believe it to be genuine, but i always appreciate others input.

You are very welcome, sir.

To the point of my PM, is it possible for you to provide a photo of the back of the headstock, detailing the serial number?

As I said in the PM, I am sure that photos of the backs of the pots and pickups are a bit of a stretch, but the serial number could certainly help to put this matter to bed, once and for all.

I thank you most humbly and sincerely.

:)

It's a definition. Look it up.

Yes, I know it's a definition, sir.

And I agree with the definition.

I have spent many years as a web forum moderator and admin.

And I have indeed encountered a troll or two in my time in the service of those web forum visitors.

My point was that it would be incorrect (and patently-bull$hit) to characterize somebody like me as an internet troll.

I have kicked up a $hit-storm exactly once in my entire time on this Gibson web forum.

This time.

And it's for a good cause;

The truth, and my unwillingness to back down to pressure from the 'majority opinion'.

And let's be fair, friend Searcy;

Wouldn't it be ridiculously easy to settle this once and for all?

Let's just see the rest of the photographic evidence that substantiates the notion that the guitar is real.

Then you can all declare yourselves the victors, I can apologize, and then we can let this God-awful thread die.

How hard is that?

Archived