Gibson Brands Forums

The wife unit

Tman

Tman...

Sorry I'm slow on response and congratulations.

I'm not really at liberty to write about some stuff, but in my region of the country I think there's a great deal of relevance in what her dissertation covered. There's a lot of cash, literally millions, going to software when there are other significant capital needs, which may say something. Rural health issues sound almost a parallel to what she was doing. It's interesting when one has many miles and hours for even basic medical care; and current technology offers some help, but also at some risks...

Good on her; good on you as well.

Yeah, I like the idea of being with bright women. I'm lucky that way myself.

Have a good long trip in Europe.

m

Congratulations! [thumbup]

Have a nice stay in the neighborhood!

Bence.

Thanks Bence! So far the flight on Lufthansa is amazing (over Missouri right now on the way to Munich). All of the flight attendants automatically speak to me in German. Pretty cool. I take it I look like a German. As soon as I respond auf Deutsch they switch seamlessly to English. Dammit. (Ich spreche schreckliches Deutsches)

I will be looking forward to any photo's and reports from your trip. Again have fun.

Thanks Kelly photos will be a comin.

Tman...

Sorry I'm slow on response and congratulations.

I'm not really at liberty to write about some stuff, but in my region of the country I think there's a great deal of relevance in what her dissertation covered. There's a lot of cash, literally millions, going to software when there are other significant capital needs, which may say something. Rural health issues sound almost a parallel to what she was doing. It's interesting when one has many miles and hours for even basic medical care; and current technology offers some help, but also at some risks...

Good on her; good on you as well.

Yeah, I like the idea of being with bright women. I'm lucky that way myself.

Have a good long trip in Europe.

m

No worries Milo, I am very happy to hear from you mein fruend (in a Europa state of mind). You know a lot about healthcare 2015-2016. I truly hope you are doing well.

I can't have a conversation now with Vanessa where it is not brought up. Unfortunately a lot of the millions that you are speaking about is going for nefarious reasons (ripping people off). One of the things she put in her dissertation was a chart that she made of the biggest data breaches in the US and many were healthcare. There were some doozies. Right now ransomeware attacks, like terrorism, is focused on large metro areas. But maybe not for long because with internet data breaches, we are all victim. I am not even a conspiracy theory kinda guy too. But gotta be realistic.

Ain't been to Europe since '65 about this time of year. It was chilly enough that both my wife and I bought new light fabric "raincoats."

I was there to do a newspaper series on European trade with the Northern Plains. Things have changed incredibly since then in terms of our trade with western Europe. Germany was still split at the time. Still, although much has changed, much of what I learned remains relevant.

As for German language... I call my version "student" German - I had my last class in the language in 1963. Then again, I can still tell you the German prepositions and their case which does little to internally translate everything without thinking. It's odd given that my grandmother's family spoke about half German at home before she married my grandfather. They had come from German-speaking Switzerland in a village my little sister visited several years ago.

My wife, on the other hand, was raised in a "Germans from Russia" household where they still spoke half German, half English. So she catches onto normal conversation much more easily than I. It was fun in Germany to have her hear, translate, and I'd answer in what I hoped was at least grammatical German. But listening, I have to translate things word for word, so folks have to speak quite slowly for me to get it, if at all. I was accepted pretty well because I could catch onto enough of what they were saying to know they weren't saying bad things about me!

Example of my wife and I in the store... She tries on a coat and says it's too long. I say "kleiner" and the sales lady pulls at the shoulders showing it's a good fit. Carla said, Kuerzer and a coat with a perfect fit and length was produced - and she teased me unmercifully the rest of the trip.

At least German friends have admitted it's not much easier for them to read Kant in German than for me to read a German newspaper.

<grin>

Enjoy!!!

m

Ain't been to Europe since '65 about this time of year. It was chilly enough that both my wife and I bought new light fabric "raincoats."

I was there to do a newspaper series on European trade with the Northern Plains. Things have changed incredibly since then in terms of our trade with western Europe. Germany was still split at the time. Still, although much has changed, much of what I learned remains relevant.

As for German language... I call my version "student" German - I had my last class in the language in 1963. Then again, I can still tell you the German prepositions and their case which does little to internally translate everything without thinking. It's odd given that my grandmother's family spoke about half German at home before she married my grandfather. They had come from German-speaking Switzerland in a village my little sister visited several years ago.

My wife, on the other hand, was raised in a "Germans from Russia" household where they still spoke half German, half English. So she catches onto normal conversation much more easily than I. It was fun in Germany to have her hear, translate, and I'd answer in what I hoped was at least grammatical German. But listening, I have to translate things word for word, so folks have to speak quite slowly for me to get it, if at all. I was accepted pretty well because I could catch onto enough of what they were saying to know they weren't saying bad things about me!

Example of my wife and I in the store... She tries on a coat and says it's too long. I say "kleiner" and the sales lady pulls at the shoulders showing it's a good fit. Carla said, Kuerzer and a coat with a perfect fit and length was produced - and she teased me unmercifully the rest of the trip.

At least German friends have admitted it's not much easier for them to read Kant in German than for me to read a German newspaper.

<grin>

Enjoy!!!

m

This is our 20th meeting in Austria. Some folks there are like family to me. I should be better at the language. I speak like a 3 year old but I get by in restaurants. I try to avoid articles -De, Der Das by either saying them really quickly (all three) or I just don't assign an article. Musik instead of Die musik. [crying]

Congratulations, enjoy your trip - I'd love to see Austria!

The people here are so wonderful. Check out Graz. Cool place where christianity and islam clashed for many years as well as the Hapsburg empire and Napoleon. One of the coolest things here is the Landeszeughaus armoury of Graz with armor and weaponry of the middle ages. They have weaponry here where the person behind the gun literally had to ask the foe to hold still while he sparked the flint to kill the guy.

Tman, tell Dr.. Tman congratulations. I know what she went through. I defended mine and then when it was over ran across the hall and lost my breakfast. [crying] And enjoy the well deserved trip.

Thanks man! Hopefully the breakfast was homogeneous and therefore not so unpleasant looking at least. Fruit loops, now we're talking technicolor yawn. [scared]

Wow Croatia is unbelievable. An entire country of smart alecks. My wife, Dr. Tman asked where the restroom was. Th waiter said, go up 3 floors then take a right then a left then 2 are elevators blah blah blah. Then he said it is right behind you.

Infrastructure is brand new. No problems with communication. People are very helpful and accommodating. Wow. Super impressed. Pictures coming. Look up Split, Croatia. And then read about the history of the last 20 years of the country. WOW

Wow Croatia is unbelievable. An entire country of smart alecks. My wife, Dr. Tman asked where the restroom was. Th waiter said, go up 3 floors then take a right then a left then 2 are elevators blah blah blah. Then he said it is right behind you.

Infrastructure is brand new. No problems with communication. People are very helpful and accommodating. Wow. Super impressed. Pictures coming. Look up Split, Croatia. And then read about the history of the last 20 years of the country. WOW

Glad to hear you two are enjoying yourselves.

This is Dubrovnik. What history and recent history it is. Beautiful old city. So far been treated like royalty.

We are staying at the bottom right of this photo.Dubrovnik_zpsjizojyyn.jpg

Drove through Bosnia Herzegovina.I screwed up and drove in behind a truck into the truck lane at the border crossing. About 15 miles through Bosnia Herzegovina. Didn't see the care lane. the officer ran out into the traffic lanes and flagged me down.Vanessa immediately gave him our driver's licenses and he said "The is a border crossing, I need his passport(a bit chauvinist). I said no problem here it is. He said don't you know the difference between a truck lane and a car lane and I said apparently not. No harm done. Retained 10 minutes and sent away with a warning. Phew.

So you're staying in Westeros? [biggrin]

Looks a bit like King's Landing or maybe Dorne..... Absolutely gorgeous.

Hey Surf, Yep right on the shore of the Summer Sea looked over by the king of Andals :rolleyes:

The old town of Dubrovnik is a walled city like something from Monty Python. Things in general in Croatia are inexpensive relatively speaking and people have been nothing but amazing! Highly recommended!

The war that ended in 1995 is still pretty fresh. I can't even imagine honestly.

Dr. Vanessa Tman is having a wonderful time. I'm writing a song about the experience. [biggrin]

Archived