Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul Custom '56 Reissue

Guys,

I'm currently very curious about the True Historic '56 Les Paul Reissue. Never had a Goldtop before, and I currently don't have a guitar with P90's in my collection. Does anyone here own a '56 Reissue? If so, what do you like about the guitar?

I played an ES-330 a while ago that had P90's on it. I loved the sound, and I like a bigger neck on a guitar. That's why I have my eyes on a '56 Les Paul. The problem is, I don't have a music store anywhere near me where there's one in stock. And I want to know more about the whole True Historic thing, before I have them order one for me. Why is a True Historic as special as it is, compared to a regular historic?

I don't have a True Historic but I do have a 2009 Custom Shop LP Custom which is 1956 spec - all mahogany (no weight relief), P90s, 50s neck profile. Superb instrument.

Buying this guitar changed my life a bit (well it certainly cost lots [laugh] !), totally reinvigorated and opened up my playing...and brought me to the Gibson Forums.

I think 'True Historic' is as close to the original specs and materials as they can get these days; 'regular' historic isn't quite so finicky....forum members please correct me if I'm mistaken!

And I want to know more about the whole True Historic thing, before I have them order one for me. Why is a True Historic as special as it is, compared to a regular historic?

Firstly P90s absolutely rock. I have two LPs with P90s (and two with hummers)

Secondly.. the true historics... Well they are ultra anal copies of 50s LPs.. Down to (apparently) a molecular level plastic correct pickguard and other plastics [rolleyes]... Hide glue used to glue everything down, and hand finished rolled fretboards for that played in feel and original spec top carving... That's what you are paying for....

If you go for a non historic re-issue, you are still getting a great top of the line guitar based on 50s specs.. but not all of that attention to detail above.. Of course none of that will effect the guitar much... So its down to how much it matters to you. Personally I think its all a bit over the top, BUT in saying that, I think the idea is this is as close as you are going to get to owning an original 50s guitar but without paying like a hundred thousand for it... Obviously until the next even more historic true true real honest guv historics come out [rolleyes]

heres a Gibson list

True Historic Plastics: Molecular level analysis delivers authentic vintage design

True Historic Pickup Covers: Designed and engineered based on the originals

Double-Carved Top: Authentic vintage dish profile

Double-Carved Neck: Hand sanded for ideal playability and accurate profile

"Broken" Peghead Edges, Smoother Edges: Vintage Looks and Feel

Thinner Peghead Veneer: A testament to obsession with detail

Thinner True Historic Wet-Sanded Finish: More work, more authentic

Hide Glue Top Construction: A real vintage spec on the most "original" Reissue yet

Rolled Fingerboard Binding: It's all about feel and playability

Firstly P90s absolutely rock. I have two LPs with P90s (and two with hummers)

Secondly.. the true historics... Well they are ultra anal copies of 50s LPs.. Down to (apparently) a molecular level plastic correct pickguard and other plastics [rolleyes]... Hide glue used to glue everything down, and hand finished rolled fretboards for that played in feel and original spec top carving... That's what you are paying for....

If you go for a non historic re-issue, you are still getting a great top of the line guitar based on 50s specs.. but not all of that attention to detail above.. Of course none of that will effect the guitar much... So its down to how much it matters to you. Personally I think its all a bit over the top, BUT in saying that, I think the idea is this is as close as you are going to get to owning an original 50s guitar but without paying like a hundred thousand for it... Obviously until the next even more historic true true real honest guv historics come out [rolleyes]

heres a Gibson list

True Historic Plastics: Molecular level analysis delivers authentic vintage design

True Historic Pickup Covers: Designed and engineered based on the originals

Double-Carved Top: Authentic vintage dish profile

Double-Carved Neck: Hand sanded for ideal playability and accurate profile

"Broken" Peghead Edges, Smoother Edges: Vintage Looks and Feel

Thinner Peghead Veneer: A testament to obsession with detail

Thinner True Historic Wet-Sanded Finish: More work, more authentic

Hide Glue Top Construction: A real vintage spec on the most "original" Reissue yet

Rolled Fingerboard Binding: It's all about feel and playability

Thanks for this awesome reply, Rabs! Great insight, and I like the fact you got a couple Les Paul with P90's. I'm sorta bumbed out Gibson doesn't offer a Standard Historic '56 this year. That would have brought down the price a lot, but I do appreciate the level of detail on the True Historic '56.

Thanks for this awesome reply, Rabs! Great insight, and I like the fact you got a couple Les Paul with P90's. I'm sorta bumbed out Gibson doesn't offer a Standard Historic '56 this year. That would have brought down the price a lot, but I do appreciate the level of detail on the True Historic '56.

Ahh well.. Maybe not on Gibsons regular line up BUT they have a new made to order service from the Custom shop this year.. Im not exactly sure how it works but I think you can order pretty much what ever you want..

Also guitar shops are making their own line of made to measure guitars including this one :D

http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/products/hs450001.php?CategoryID=519&n=15

Actually this is what it says on the Wildwood page

The Dream is a Reality.

You've spent countless hours wishing, hoping and dreaming about it. Now, you can finally have it. The Made 2 Measure program gives guitar players the unique opportunity to craft the instrument of their dreams, with a wide variety of models and an extensive list of finish options. Looking for an ultra light Les Paul Custom with a Slim Neck? You can have it. Looking for an ultra-accurate Historic piece, with hot-rodded electronics? Done. The dream is now a reality at the Gibson Custom Shop, where you'll have access to the finest craftsmen in the industry and the options to create an instrument that is as unique as you are. To celebrate the Made 2 Measure Program, the staff at Wildwood Guitars have created their own dream instruments, seen here and made available directly to our exceptional customers.

Have a dream you'd like to be made a reality?

Contact us via telephone or email us. We'll work directly with you and the expert craftsmen at the Gibson Custom Shop to create the instrument of your dreams.

In my opinion the very problem of custom orders is it means buying a pig in a poke. You may choose a top for looks, but you will be bound to put up with the result tonewise. Before you are able to lay your hand on the instrument for the first time, you will have to pay two thirds of the asked price - this is at least what Made 2 Measure means here in Germany. I emphasize asked price, there's no way of getting a different deal.

I have played several instruments custom-made on dealer requests. Regardless of brand to my feel none of them was worth the expense.

This all has been what finally made me giving up on custom orders until today.

Archived