Gibson Brands Forums

Acceptable production flaw or damaged item?

Enfilade

Hi all,

I've barely touched my new LP due to being out of town, but took it out of the case to give it a good look-over today. Noticed a few flaws, and wanted to know if these were typical or acceptable of new items purchased from Gibson. The guitar plays fine, but I'm a bit bothered at dropping $3G on an instrument with these nicks. That is, unless returning it and getting another means I'd probably see something similar.

post-78434-097643100 1462244987_thumb.jpg

The above image shows the flaw on the headstock, right behind the nut on the upper side. You can see a small triangular shaped piece of the black surface material has chipped out, revealing a less finished layer underneath. Note that the similar colored "dirt" on the bottom end of the nut is just dust that rubbed away easily.

post-78434-028437800 1462244996_thumb.jpg

This wasn't noticed at first because the pick guard covers it. Near one of the pickups, there are two small indentations in the maple top, looking like perhaps a tool or something bumped it.

So what do you think guys? I know that guitars accumulate "battle scars" that make them personal to us, but are these sorts of little quirks normal for new instruments right from the factory?

I really like this guitar, but if getting one without these bumps and bruises is likely if I exchanged it, I'd likely do so.

Thanks for reading!

Those are really, really small.

Some flaws bother some more than others, and some are bothered by OTHER flaws. I think realistically, if you look real closely at any guitar, you will find some sort of flaws. Also, if you were truly looking for something flawless, you would look a long, long time.

When things get to be in the 3K range, I am NOT looking for flaws, I'm looking for other things that justify the price. For 3K the guitar better actually DO something really, really good. No room for considering whether or not it has a little dent or scratch somewhere.

I Can understand the frustration, I guess if it's keeping you up at night, and you're still within the time to exchange, may be pursuing that is the way out for you.

and it's true, there's no guarantee the replacement won't have similar problems unless you can ask them to weed the next one out to make sure it's 100% clean.

and may not even play as well... ya never know..

personally? I don't think those would bother me, I'd probably be adding some of my own small little nicks and dings just from normal use over time.

But it's what matters to you that is important.

btw:

I'd be more worried about the zero-fret nut giving me grief than the cosmetics.

I agree somewhat,, I would be more worried about the zero fret but giving you problems,,,,, on the other hand I'm a perfectionist an the even the smallest of flaws just eats at me,, when you look down while playing it's the only thing you see!!!! both my customs had flaws, an they still chap my ***,,,,, but I gave it a good complain on here an that's that,, now I enjoy them hahaha

Whenever I hear "....<fill in the amount> dollar guitar should not have these problems..." and "these problems" require a microscope to see, I can pretty much tell that the buyer just shouldn't have bought it. Return it, it's what you really want to do anyway.

rct

Whenever I hear "....<fill in the amount> dollar guitar should not have these problems..." and "these problems" require a microscope to see, I can pretty much tell that the buyer just shouldn't have bought it. Return it, it's what you really want to do anyway.

rct

I understand that such sentiment may be typical when people are torn between keeping or returning something, but I just want to make a rational choice. If new guitars typically arrive with such dings, I'd keep it. But if this was atypical of Gibson's QC, I'd return it, because it is likely they would do me better on the second try. I figure the eyes on this board have probably seen more new Gibsons than I have, hence the query. As of now, I'm undecided.

I know my options, of course, but was more interested in whether the people on this forum have seen such flaws on new instruments.

And apparently, I need to do some reading on the zero fret problems. Haven't noticed anything, but this is the 2016 model, whereas I heard the 2015 was problematic due to being brass rather than titanium?

I agree somewhat,, I would be more worried about the zero fret but giving you problems,,,,, on the other hand I'm a perfectionist an the even the smallest of flaws just eats at me,, when you look down while playing it's the only thing you see!!!! both my customs had flaws, an they still chap my ***,,,,, but I gave it a good complain on here an that's that,, now I enjoy them hahaha

That sounds like a healthy attitude! Perhaps this post with be the extent of my complaint, and I'll get along to enjoying it. I'm having far too much fun with the GForce tuner, which I know is all sorts of wrong! :)

I heard the 2015 was problematic due to being brass rather than titanium?

I think this is true,

I have only had one zero fret nut in the past, it was "ok" but I guess I just prefer the standard nut..

I understand that such sentiment may be typical when people are torn between keeping or returning something, but I just want to make a rational choice. If new guitars typically arrive with such dings, I'd keep it. But if this was atypical of Gibson's QC, I'd return it, because it is likely they would do me better on the second try. I figure the eyes on this board have probably seen more new Gibsons than I have, hence the query. As of now, I'm undecided.

I know my options, of course, but was more interested in whether the people on this forum have seen such flaws on new instruments.

And apparently, I need to do some reading on the zero fret problems. Haven't noticed anything, but this is the 2016 model, whereas I heard the 2015 was problematic due to being brass rather than titanium?

I can't help you with the zero fret. It isn't something I would buy willingly, I have a great Les Paul, SG, Explorer, so I have no need of any Gibson guitars.

Unfortunately, guitar choices are not very often rational. Agonizing over Gibsons QC is an incredible waste of time, they make guitars, pallet them up, ship 'em out. There are no absolutes about any of that stuff, it is a crapshoot. Taking it back to the seller and showing him them flaws is more than likely reason enough to return it, but he's now stuck with a return that he has to...what? So he may try to convince you otherwise by giving you some back on it.

It's got a great top and trans black used to be really coveted because the just didn't do it that often. If it sounds like a Les Paul should, which I have no doubt is true, if it plays like a Les Paul should to you, I wouldn't worry about those marks in the least. A year from now you won't even look for them. If you take it out of the house three times it will suffer much worse somehow, in some way.

rct

If it sounds good and plays good then don't give those another thought.

Seriously. It's a guitar; not a Fabergé egg.

In any event it will probably have ten times that number of 'flaws' by this time next year so why worry?

Just consider it to have accrued it's first couple of 'dings' and enjoy it to the full.

Pip.

The headstock bit looks like bad masking or something... you may even be able to buff that out a bit.

The one near the pickup, that's a bit odd.. But as others have said.. If it plays well and sounds good keep it and don't worry about every tiny mm.. Wood is a pain in the bum sometimes as its an organic product and does odd things... It cant always be absolutely perfect...

Guitars are meant to be used and played and they will get the odd scratch and ding (in fact some people pay more for that "mojo" [rolleyes]).. Unless you plan to keep it hung on a wall or in a glass case or something :) Don't worry about it, just play and enjoy a beautiful guitar....

Ohh and you have one of the new nuts by the way.. So far I don't think ive seen a single bad report about them.. Unlike the original brass nuts that have many threads on them about how bad they were. So I wouldn't worry about that.. An adjustable nut is a good idea I think...

If however, you arnt sure about the guitar in general and are looking for reasons to swap it.. Swap it now.......

Hi all,

I've barely touched my new LP due to being out of town, but took it out of the case to give it a good look-over today. Noticed a few flaws, and wanted to know if these were typical or acceptable of new items purchased from Gibson. The guitar plays fine, but I'm a bit bothered at dropping $3G on an instrument with these nicks. That is, unless returning it and getting another means I'd probably see something similar.

The above image shows the flaw on the headstock, right behind the nut on the upper side. You can see a small triangular shaped piece of the black surface material has chipped out, revealing a less finished layer underneath. Note that the similar colored "dirt" on the bottom end of the nut is just dust that rubbed away easily.

This wasn't noticed at first because the pick guard covers it. Near one of the pickups, there are two small indentations in the maple top, looking like perhaps a tool or something bumped it.

So what do you think guys? I know that guitars accumulate "battle scars" that make them personal to us, but are these sorts of little quirks normal for new instruments right from the factory?

I really like this guitar, but if getting one without these bumps and bruises is likely if I exchanged it, I'd likely do so.

Thanks for reading!

To each their own, but I would not think twice about those 'nicks'. Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate the aesthetics of my instruments, but I would not lose any sleep over the two minor (in my opinion) blemishes you pointed out. But that's just me...

:rolleyes: It may not have occurred at the factory, at all. Where did you buy it?

Was it unboxed, or a out on the sales floor? Could have happened in shipping?

The headstock "blemish" looks like a slight finish check, or "lift." If you have

to place the body, in just the right light, to see the very, very small indent,

near the pickup ring, I wouldn't worry about it. But, you need to do, what YOU

want/need to do, not what We think you should. I'd just hate to be there, when

you get your first REAL "Ding" or scratch. [scared][biggrin]

Stop obsessing [flapper], and enjoy your new guitar! [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

You're quite right. I cant think of any problem with the titanium nut; only advantages.

one tiny ding by the pickup ring and what looks to be a bit of nitro flaked when they tightened down the zero fret nut.

if you think you'll get a better guitar that's "less" flaws than this, I'd say anyone is badly mistaken

play it, scratch it, ding it, love it.

Archived