Gibson Brands Forums

D'Addario Strings OEM?

RockyA

I noticed my Fort Knox LP came from factory with D'Addario 9-46 EXL125's Nickel Wound strings and an extra set in the case. I know Gibson changed to D'Addario EXP11 .012-.053 for their acoustic guitars as factory spec. Gibson was shipping LPs with Gibson Bright Wire strings as OEM and were on my 2014 LP Custom and ES 335 and all my previous LPs also. Just wondering has anyone else noticed the change. I notice on the Gibson site showing the Fort Knox Guitar they actually show pictured the ball ends of the D'Addario and they have the Red A string strung as the D string wrong and the Black D string in the A string slot. I guess LPs and Gibson electrics will all be strung with D'Addario from now on. I use D'Addario anyway on all my strats and Tele's and acoustics so I don't have a problem with them at all. I have Brite Wires on all my Electric Gibsons except the Fort Knox.

Guest Farnsbarns

D'addario make the Gibson strings anyway so perhaps they've just stopped rebranding.

My 2014 Les Paul Traditional came with Cleartone coated strings. I was a little surprised, I was expecting Brightwires. I'd never heard of Cleartone before but I quite like them, there still on it (I bought the guitar last September) and they are still good.

Ian

I doubt the selection of D'Addario by Gibson has any thing to do with tonal or playability. It's mainly profit driven for Gibson and marketing expense for D'A. I recall Gibson similarly strung up with various manufacturer's through out the years.

I tried a few manufacturers; but didn't seem to make that much of a difference. I always end up or rather stuck with E.B since the sixties...besides they're reasonably priced when on sale. msp_thumbup.gif

All of my more recent Gibson guitars came with nickel-wound strings, probably D'Addarios just fitted with ball ends of the same colour. Except for the Graph Tech Ghost piezo Floyd Rose-equipped Alex Lifeson Les Paul Axcess featuring balanced 10-46, they all had extra light top/light bottom 9-46 sets. All of them were nickel-wound except for the SG Supra using Brite Wires.

I like bright sounding strings, and therefore my Epiphone 1960 Les Paul Tribute Plus strung bright stock blew all of my Gibson LPs with their respective stock strings. However, I restrung them all using the quite bright Optima Chrome strings, so they got equal opportunities soon and ever since. [biggrin]

Archived