Gibson Brands Forums

Wildfire in Northern Alberta.. (motherofpearl) you okay?

slimt

MotherofPearl.. So Sorry to hear of the Situation all you folks are dealing with up in Fort Mc Murray.. I feel so Bad for you people up there..

Im not sure if anyone has posted this.. But the past couple of days has been devastating for Fort mc Murray.. a Major wildfire is determined to wipe out the whole City.. what devastation .. were praying for all you folks up there..

How would they put that out?

They don't. They let it burn out while trying to steer it if possible and hope for rain.

Glad to hear you and your family are safe, MOP.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and with the amazing firefighters who put it all on the line to save people and their property. Definitely a breed apart.

All is well wife 4 kids and I are at my parents place in cold lake. Been a rough couple days. Not sure if my home is still standing or not.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Will touch back later on

My thoughts and prayers are with you and yours. [-o<

Hard to believe that in this age of technology, that the fires can't be kept out of a town.

Here's an idea of what you're dealing with, MP, with a wildfire. You'll need to watch it full screen and in hi-def to see what's going on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7FQzpADiyE

I shot this in what was my backyard a year and a half ago. The little white dot moving across the middle of the screen at the beginning is an air tanker. Realize that the amount of water or retardant it carries can't be larger than the size of the plane. And if there are high winds whipping up the flames and spreading the fire, the planes are grounded.

Then visualize the fire extending over several miles or several hundred miles. (A massive fire in SoCal in 2007--lot's of fire resources there, right? San Diego Fire, LA Fire, and the others--resulted in 900,000 people being evacuated. (The number is correct.))

And chances are, if there is a fire at this spot there are probably dozens of others spread out over two or three states (or provinces). Resources spread real thin.

Imagine the size of the cajones it takes to fly into the maelstrom this pilot is flying into. In fact, at another fire in the exact opposite direction around the same time period (if I remember correctly) one of the pilots trying desperately to save peoples' houses (and to give us one last road we could escape by if needed) wasn't able to pull out of a maneuver and was killed. Talk about a hero. All of Yosemite grieved that man's death.

Then there are the smoke jumpers--people who parachute into these areas with shovels and mattocks and try to divert the fire with little bitty trenches. Definitely not hi-tech there.

So, the lesson for us all, MP my friend, is if you ever get a chance to, buy a firefighter a beer.

Anyway, MOP, my other friend, hope all is well with y'all and I'm continuing to pray.

Archived