Gibson Brands Forums

Would you repair this damage?

aerohead

I likely wouldn't do anything to it. I'd be kind of pissed when it happened, but doubt I'd have it repaired. The binding appears to have done it's job and absorbed most of the blow. Still, it would bother me some. I take care of my guitars and I try to be careful, but I use them a lot and sometimes things happen.

1462508785[/url]' post='1767064']

I likely wouldn't do anything to it. I'd be kind of pissed when it happened, but doubt I'd have it repaired. The binding appears to have done it's job and absorbed most of the blow. Still, it would bother me some. I take care of my guitars and I try to be careful, but I use them a lot and sometimes things happen.

Yes I am leaning towards doing nothing. It does bother me but I don't think enough to spend money fixing it. Now if it was my SJ200? I still don't think I would fix it. It stings but it's not major!

Let it be the start of the gradual and graceful ageing of the beast, but maybe don't hit it so hard next time? msp_flapper.gif

I think the first ding irks people the most; the second onwards - easier to deal with.

Probably not - if anything I'd dissolve a piece of binding-material in acetone and smear the paste on for then to scrape it off with a credit card.

If it's a crack, the maple would be given 8 drops of superglue.

I thought at first it was a Gibson you were asking about. But, since it's an Epiphone - I agree with the majority - I'd leave it alone. But, if it were a Gibson - I'd want to be 100% sure the wood and binding are stabilized and the binding wouldn't start wobbling away. Like Mafy said - if it were a Gibson, I'd bring it to a luthier.

you could get an estimate to see what the cost would be then decide.

if it was the J200 I picked up a few months ago, yea I'd probably seek a repair, but thats 4,000 + compared to what are those costing these days around 400.

the only thing to think about is, you got thru all kinds of shenanigans to fix it, only to have something else go on a few months down the road, since you take this one camping and the like,, maybe just let it ride.

I had an SM58 on a mic stand fall over hit the top of my Taylor GS (not a cheap guitar by any means, $2k back in 2005) left one but-fugly ding.. Turns out the cost to repair it is astronomical. (500~900!) so, it remains as is. a shame? yea! it is, I was bummed when it happened, but the does not guitar play or sound the worse for wear, so I've learned to live with it. sh---t happens.

you could get some Maguires Scratch X and see how much of the area you could buff out and smooth down. Maybe you'd be surprised at how much you could minimize.

It appears the wood is broken. Split.

If it was a guitar I loved, regardless of cost, I would fix it. Even as a beater, it will be stronger once fixed, and fragile there if not.

Shouldn't be too hard or expensive. I'm talking fixed structurally, not cosmetically.

That there however is just an opinion. Nothing wrong with letting it crack and age more, seeing what it will sound like down the road.

I think I'll take it out this weekend to the scene of the crime and see how she records. See if she still has the same bounce off that rock. Thank god for Epiphones! Did I mention how much I love this guitar?I think I'll write the date on that ding in permanent marker!

AF8A05FE-3FB8-47FD-96A2-F614A150E288.jpg

Fixed it myself!

If it was on one of your favourite Gibsons?

The original question suggests the guitar is of some

importance to you. A crack or break in the wood can and

will continue to be a problem if not properly addressed.

Fix it, properly, and it will be resolved. Left unrepaired,

it will always be a potential break waiting to happen.

Fixed it myself!

Sometimes artistic photo-material shows up here from unexpected angles. I'm close to counting your latest shot in that category, aerohead.

Not a 'blue-colour-person', I would have preferred black, , , or dark green - but that's my problem and won't spoil the weekend.

Did you know this was the date when Spain in 1492 gave Christopher Columbus commission of exploration.

Sometimes artistic photo-material shows up here from unexpected angles. I'm close to counting your latest shot in that category, aerohead.

Not a 'blue-colour-person', I would have preferred black, , , or dark green - but that's my problem and won't spoil the weekend.

I'm with you E-minor7 I wanted a black marker too but I didn't have one available so damage is done now I'll just have to live with it. I'm hoping the choice of blue makes the blues songs sound that much bluer! Lol!

I should add a disclaimer that I would not recommend anyone follow my way of doing things. There is a lot of second guessing and self induced pain that could easily be avoided with just a little bit of fore thought!

I'll post a new song when I get back on Sunday.

Have a great weekend friends!

Only reason I'd repair it would be because of the crack in the wood, not for aesthetic reasons. I by no means baby my guitars, and actually routine take my J45 most places with me...BBQ's, car camping, jams, etc. I love the guitar and it makes me happy to play, so why not bring it with me instead of some cheap beater? I always have to chuckle at the guys who worry about scuffing and hazing the finish, scratches, dings, etc. Some guys buy guitars to flip them and collect them, others but them to play. I actually just sold a bunch of guitars I wasn't really playing and had acquired over the years. The ones I sold were in incredible shape. The ones I ended up keeping are the banged up ones because they actually get played.

I'd get that guitar checked out, tell the repair person that you're more interested in it being structurally sound and not into cosmetics, and see what they recommend. It can't be that much to fix.

Archived