Gibson Brands Forums

gibson j45/ hummingbird differences

Desolationrow

Where to start!

The Birds are THE strummer's guitar. Think Hillbilly Stones. Warmth and sweetness make up for the "lack of volume" relative to a Martin dread.

The J45 is an SUV... fingerpick, fingerstyle, strum - all the whilst balanced throughout. The Birds have a jangle, and while they certainly are fingerpicked as well (ask Em7), they just want a 1st position chord from you. They beg for it.

If you have the means, I would own both. I would not trade a J45 for it.

Where to start!

The Birds are THE strummer's guitar. Think Hillbilly Stones. Warmth and sweetness make up for the "lack of volume" relative to a Martin dread.

The J45 is an SUV... fingerpick, fingerstyle, strum - all the whilst balanced throughout. The Birds have a jangle, and while they certainly are fingerpicked as well (ask Em7), they just want a 1st position chord from you. They beg for it.

If you have the means, I would own both. I would not trade a J45 for it.

Thanks for your answer! Also i went tô the shop and i play a Martin d35 (ôther famous "songwriter"guitar) perhaps a rosewood guitar is good option? Thanks again

Thanks for your answer! Also i went tô the shop and i play a Martin d35 (ôther famous "songwriter"guitar) perhaps a rosewood guitar is good option? Thanks again

I have a D35 and a Bird (actually I gave the Bird away). There is something to be said for owning a Hog Gibson and a Rosewood Martin Dread. I love my D35, but if I ever had to thin the herd, it would go before my Gibsons I think.

Back to the Bird... this video sold me (its actually a Sheryl Crow Country Western, which is a blingless Bird. Sweetwater has a Country Western in stock too FYI (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SSCWANNH?adpos=1o1&creative=105744828601&device=c&matchtype=b&network=g&gclid=COXJxJqzxcwCFRNahgodnOAFXw)

This guitar sounds little like a D35, so play them both and let your ears decide!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea5wuoMQyA8

I have only played one Hummingbird and can't remember much since it was a while back, and my skills were very crude at that time (only slightly better now).

I have always wondered how the Birds are with palm muted bass string "oomph". If I want to play something Neil Youngish, the palm muted tone is important and has to work with a capo up a couple of frets.

Lars

45 or Bird, , , we know they are both short scaled mahogany creatures, so it's up to the shoulders and the looks, , , , , , and the rest - which is 2 different identities and auras. Both can be strummed - both can be picked, but if you primarily strum maybe the Hummingbird calls your name. Seems you answer by being in love - which is a major factor in this situation. Everything points toward the Bird - but I would wait 2 or 3 weeks and go out and try a bunch, , , including some rose models.

Simply play the things you usually play and see what feels right - in your hands, , , and in your heart.

Have a happy spring

@Lars68 - I think the it gets pretty snappy and actually rocks when doin' that - still the Bird wouldn't be my first choice when playing Young. Yes, for some songs it will work fine - Long May You Run fx, , , where others especially dropped-D-stuff demands - or should we just say like - that bigger rose-box'n'bass. (eehh, just realized I play Long May U Run in dropped D, but rather gently travis-picked)

Rule is of course that there're no rules - and Neil would be the first to subscribe, , , , , to a certain degree. .

Archived