Gibson Brands Forums

Help! Harsh Tones from Marshalls

Bradmeister

Hi, All,

I have a question for you. LP + Marshall is supposed to be the best combination ever. I got my R8 this summer, and I've come to the conclusion it needs more than the Fender and Vox AC15 I own now. (Sounds great with the VOX, and not with my Fender.)

So, off I go to look at Marshall amps. However, I find the tone really harsh, almost painful, when standing next to them. I love the sounds I've heard on recordings. I usually start out with the tone knobs in the middle and the tone on my bridge pickup at 10. One of the guys in the store said "it's a trebly guitar through a trebly amp." I never really thought about LP's and Marshalls that way before.

Anyway, what settings do you use on your Marshalls? (My buddy says Eric Johnson puts the treble on zero.)

Anything you might suggest in a good tube amp other than a Marshall? (I've tried JCM800, JTM, and a new combo.)

I love that nice, crunchy, punchy, hard rock sound one usually gets from a Marshall. Think Malcolm Young, Black Crowes, Tragically Hip, etc.

BTW: What do Orange amps sound like?

Thanks for the help, guys. I know I'll get lots of good ideas.

-Brad

Hi Brad,

I'm a Marshall player - as a matter of fact I'm down to only Marshall amps at this point. I have a Vintage Modern & a 1974x...both rock, and rock hard.

What volume levels were you playing at? Often times, as is particularly the case with Marshall amps, you really have to have the volume turned up to a significant enough level to get the power tubes working. If you are experiencing a harsh / treble tone, chances are you are just hearing the pre-amp tubes - which yes, do sound harsh if you are comparing it to what you expect from recordings (recordings you hear have the volume up and cranking the tubes to the right heat level).

Have you tried the JVM series? I believe those are suppose to have a pretty good tone at lower volume levels.

What do Orange amps sound like?

Ill field this one...

My Orange uses four 6V6's, four 12Ax7's and for the loop and reverb two 12AT7's.

Its got a gorgeous 70's hard rock sound. A little darker sounding then a Marshall.

I may be wrong, im not a Marshall expert but I believe Marshalls use EL34's in the power section.

I think thats fine for a certain type of music, but its a little harsh for my ears as well.

I generally keep the treble at about 9 o'clock on Marshalls - the presence as well. They have plenty of sizzle already in the upper mids - and I usually crank the midrange pretty close to 10. I can live with the bass anywhere from noon to dimed. I don't think you will find the Marshalls (at least the all tube ones) shrill.

The classic Les Paul / Marshall tone came from the JTM45 & JMP50/100 amps, esp. the latter. Some of the newer Marshalls are aimed at the metal players and use stuff like op amps in the front end to emphasize a lot of preamp gain, rather than the fatter power section. I have an early JCM 900 DR that's like that and it's basically become a door stop. The Vintage Modern seems to be the best compromise in a current production, non-reissue Marshall, the reissues are good as well. There area several outstanding kits available for the classic designs, too, with Metro Amps being a good example.

I may be wrong' date=' im not a Marshall expert but I believe Marshalls use EL34's in the power section.

I think thats fine for a certain type of music, but its a little harsh for my ears as well.[/quote']

My Marshall amps take:

Vintage Modern = KT66

1974x = EL84

I wouldn't consider either harsh - both are smoooooooooth.

But yeah, he's right in that many take EL34's.

As much as I love Gibson, I love Marshall - I really don't think you can go wrong. There are a lot of amps out there that are trying to be Marshall's and there are a lot of amps out there talking about how superior they are to Marshall's (insecurity)...there is only one Marshall. Buy it. Bring it into your home. Learn it. Understand it. Love it. Live it.

No, seriously...go now.

FYI - Different Marshalls use different tubes some of the tubes they use are:

EL84

EL34

KT66

KT88

Noted.

Im not putting down Marshall by any means. Hey, Marshall and Gibson go hand in hand.

Marshall amps are legendary. I just wanted to go another route thats all. I do use a 50w Marshall as

well as my Orange.

I've got a JVm 410H and it's simply killer. Best Marshall I've ever owned, and I've foolishly sold the Plexi, JTM, and JCM 800's I've had. Damn....damn.... But anyway, the JVM is so versatile. So many different tones, and the cleanest Marshall ever.

I honestly think this has about every Marshall ever in it. And it does sound good at lower volumes.

The trick is to find the 'right' Marshall with the 'right' tubes for your playing style and guitar. You can do all the research in the world, but until you get it to a rehearsal or a gig, you don't really know.

Hello!

Try newer models from JCM 900 on. I´m using a TSL 100 at the moment and I wouldn´t call it harsh. I´m using Marshalls for almost 30 years by now an my personal opinion is that the old models were harsh in a way. And the JCM 800 is also. Depending on the music that you´d like to play, I would try the Vintage Modern or the JVM-Series. And by the way, I think that Malcolm Young, as well as Angus, has a very harsh sound. That is an old Marshall, at least half way cranked and pretty clean and dry. And very good to be heard in a band.

Kurt

Is it possible that you tried a solid state amp? Also, was the treble jacked too high? I too use a TSL 100 and love the sound it makes in my ears. If I were you, I'd try more than one Marshall. Just because I love Marshall is no reason to think that the big M will be at the core of your signature tone.

I would try some Oranges (no grapefruit - too bitter LOL), Fenders, Mesas, Voxes, Dr. Zs, etc.. Take your time and really dial them in. My favorite Guitar Center (not an oxymoron) may have gotten tired of me for awhile, coming in and just playing through different amps. I guess it was better for them when I bought my half-stack.

To me the Vox AC30CC2 sounded a little dead with my LP. I tend to thing it was my ignorance of how to dial it in that led me to that conclusion. Also, never forget that people have usually been playing through these amps ahead of you. Sometimes things have been really screwed up. People could have left the amp on and connected to no guitar. Tubes could be blown. That's why it's good to try out many.

Good luck.

The classic Les Paul / Marshall tone came from the JTM45 & JMP50/100 amps' date=' esp. the latter. Some of the newer Marshalls are aimed at the metal players and use stuff like op amps in the front end to emphasize a lot of preamp gain, rather than the fatter power section. I have an early JCM 900 DR that's like that and it's basically become a door stop. The Vintage Modern seems to be the best compromise in a current production, non-reissue Marshall, the reissues are good as well. There area several outstanding kits available for the classic designs, too, with Metro Amps being a good example. [/quote']

I agree 100%. Once Marshall began chasing high gain, the tone went. My JMP 50 MV (EL 34 not 6550) has the classic crunch. It can give this sound at lowish volumes provided the preamp is not beyond 5. I always have zero mid and presence.

By scoop the mids you mean "take them out"? right? That sucks... It iristaes me that most self proclaimed "pro players" will tell anyone that "the great guitar tone" is achieved by having bass at 10 mids at 0 and trebble at 10... that V thin sucks bi time... worst tone ever.

For crunchy British rhythm, mid is mud. With mid turned up, the sound turns cloudy and bloated. Maybe it's a Marshall thing...

Now for lead, I'm with you to a certain extent depending on the type of overdrive / distortion. Boogie - yes !

Archived