Gibson Brands Forums

Emperor Regent - change hardware?

jdogric12

Hey gang. Just scored a cheap Emperor Regent in Silver Flake off the bay. The gold parts are looking quite worn. To match the silver, I'm thinking of going all chrome. I was also thinking of replacing the tortoise guard with something to better match the silver - black perhaps? Thoughts?

Hmm - A chrome Frequensator, machines, strap pins and bridge hardware will probably approach your investment in the guitar; I'd look around and see if there is a plating shop nearby - they could likely strip your parts to bare Nickel for an economical price, and you'll be guaranteed of the fit!

If you just use some Wenol, or Happitcsh Semichrome, or Mother Mag polish on the hardware, the gold will come right off and you will have a nice nickel/chrome look without having to re-plate or replace the hardware. A couple hours spent taking it off, polishing, and put it back on and you'll be good to go. Guys pay big bucks to get the worn 'relic" look, so you could just clean it up as is, not take it apart, and go play.

[thumbup] I've been watching that one for a while. How cool that you won it. Allparts has a chrome tailpiece and finger plate support. Give it a search on ebay and you will see. They are very high quality. Here is a link, this particular seller is good to deal with as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nickel-Frequensator-Trapeze-Tailpiece-Hollowbody-Archtop-Jazz-Guitar-TP-0433-001-/322099767681?hash=item4afea46981:g:3Q4AAOSwo0JWJUDm

[thumbup] I've been watching that one for a while. How cool that you won it. Allparts has a chrome tailpiece and finger plate support. Give it a search on ebay and you will see. They are very high quality. Here is a link, this particular seller is good to deal with as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nickel-Frequensator-Trapeze-Tailpiece-Hollowbody-Archtop-Jazz-Guitar-TP-0433-001-/322099767681?hash=item4afea46981:g:3Q4AAOSwo0JWJUDm

I actually found a different one - mine was $350 and out of Texas. I couldn't believe two were up for sale at the same time!

(Cue Superman III, Richard Pryor: both keys at the same time?)

Anyone notice the screws in the top ahead of the bridge?

I have always been suspicious of what the wood looks like on solid color guitars, mainly because you can't see it.

probably looks like the wood on the natural version

probably looks like the wood on the natural version

I don't know about Epi's, but I know for a fact Rickenbacker saves the uglier pieces of wood for their solid colors. The wood's just as good, just ain't as pretty.

Quote: I don't know about Epi's, but I know for a fact Rickenbacker saves the uglier pieces of wood for their solid colors.

LOL, I deleted that exact comment from my post above. At Fender, and Gibson, they do the same thing. Premium grade figured wood is always set aside for natural and sunburst finishes. If a natural or sunburst finish gets a blemish or ding, depending on how bad it is, they will re-paint it in a solid color to save it. Some guys have reported finding beautiful flamed maple tops under the solid color paint on Pauls, which the above would explain.

• 2 months later...

Hey gang. Just scored a cheap Emperor Regent in Silver Flake off the bay. The gold parts are looking quite worn. To match the silver, I'm thinking of going all chrome. I was also thinking of replacing the tortoise guard with something to better match the silver - black perhaps? Thoughts?

Well, how did you make out? Did you go with the chrome trim? It's time for some pictures please [thumbup]

Archived