Gibson Brands Forums

Sweet Dreams

MissouriPicker

Been a long day here in The Gibby Forum with all the talk about vintage guitars, pick guards, people singing songs, etc., so here's a real nice video to help you get your mind relaxed and ready for a good night's rest. Just focus on this sweet-looking and sounding Gibson and let all thoughts of physical things drift away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMPydiR4NaQ

That black j200 with the red rose...I loved everything about that guitar back then. A lot of folks here have "that thing" about 'birds, but for me, it was always about the J200, and Emmy's rose started it all, back in college. Turning my ear toward the light, as it were.

To this day, just seeing it here takes me in my brain to the closing minutes of The Tulsa Queen, and, like always, I wanna ride...

Thanks for posting that MP. Why didn't I watch more of her when I was a kid???

Here's another one I found:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVL4sLeFkBY

Of particular interest (aside from Emmy Lou of course) is Albert Lee on the telecaster and Glen D. Hardin on keyboards (Elvis' pianist). In an interview with Hardin he said Emmy Lou intentionally booked her shows when Elvis wasn't playing so she could have some of his guys. Albert Lee was the replacement for James Burton who decided to remain with Elvis.

Anyone recognize the guy in the green t-shirt? He looks familiar.

At the time I was so taken by Emmylou that I completely ignored the rest of the band but over time the Albert Lee version of the Hot Band just grew in my estimation. How cool would it have been to get to play with the lot of them and have Emmylou doing the vocals every night? When I listen to them now and hear all the little additions each player contributes to a song it's like a lesson in ensemble playing that is so educational and inspiring.

Here is an incredibly moving video of First Aid Kit performing their song Emmylou in front of Emmylou Harris at last year's Polar Music Awards in Stockholm, Sweden. The grey haired gentleman at her table is the King of Sweden. I'm a big fan of both Emmylou and First Aid Kit, so watching this on TV live was a special moment for me and a very big deal for americana lovers in my country.

Lars

While I'm at it, this is from earlier in the day during the awards ceremoni for Emmylou, and perhaps even more impressive. The perfect match between the americana and nordic melancholy, which I both love. The artist is Anna Ternheim and both the song and her performance here is fabulous.

Lars

I've only seen Emmylou once in-person. That was at The Crown Center in Kansas City in the mid-late 80's. The night was hot and she and the Hot Band were even hotter. And she was mesmerizing........Merle Kilgore, one of Cash's close friends told a story of Emmylou when she first came to Nashville in the late 60's. She said she came there to be a folksinger like Cash. Kilgore met her at some songwriter venue and that was her first link to Cash, so she started showing-up at all the songwriter venues that Cash would frequent. One night Kilgore pointed her out to Cash and Cash said she was a real beauty and that he'd noticed her at different places. Kilgore said she's a big fan and she sings country and folk songs. Cash said he didn't care what she sang, but that he wanted to meet her.........Ahhhhhh, the things that legends are made of. [thumbup]

Archived