Gibson Brands Forums

A SONG FROM THE COFFEE HOUSE

MissouriPicker

On the J45TV..........Here's a tune from earlier today at Gusto's Coffee House in Lee's Summit, MO. Had a coffee house patron tell me before I started recording that the guitar needed a bit more volume. Should have listened to my own ears instead. I think the guitar is a bit loud. The chord changes below may or may not be exactly were I do them. Depends on how I do the song at a given time. BTW, all the C chords showed-up as copyright signs..lol...They're C chords in my text. The edit won't change it for me....Anyways, here it is.

Wish I Could Go Back Home

Chorus......

(G) Wish I could go back (Am) home, Lord! Wish (D7) I could go back (G) home.

(G) But nothing stays the same. (Am) It's all changed, and (D7) I can't go back (G) home. (Am) (G)

(G) Well, there's a strip mall down by the (Am) old creek, where (D7) grandpa taught me how to catch (G) frogs.

(G) And there's a Quick Trip in the (Am) cornfield where big (D7) brother'd let me tag-a(G) long.

And if you © walk all the way to (G) Main St....(D) stop and look a(G)round,

You can © see I70 run (G) right through what (D) used to be our down(G)town.

Chorus......

(G) The Browns lived on the (Am) corner. The Gar(D7) cias ran The Wagon(G) wheel.

(G) My dad umpired Little League ball. And (Am) I can't find (D7) the ball(G) field.

There's an ©ashphalt lot where the (G) highschool was...(D) Lord it almost makes me (G) cry.

They've )C) filled the damn thing with (G) new cars...(D) no one can afford to (G) buy.

Chorus......

(G) Been hangin'-round town all (Am)day now, and (D7)somethings become real (G)clear.

The things that I came (Am)back for….(D7)they’re no longer (G)here.

© One thing left I(G) need to do...before I (D7) pack-up my sorrows and (G) leave.

Got to ©visit the ol’ town (G) cemetery...If I can (D7) find it out there in the (G) weeds.

Chorus......

Copyright © Larry Garrett 03-18-01

Really nicely done MP. I'm always interested to hear what story you will tell whenever I start a song of yours. You definitely have a way with words and telling a story, with a new chapter with ever verse.

This one has a nice laid-back classic country feel to me which I really like.

Nice Larry.

I gotta say, I don't really think the guitar is too loud. The song seems to be at about the bottom of your range, and it's a mellow song so you're not really "powering" the vocals, but as a mix it sounds pretty darned good to me.

And to top it off, the story is true.....

[thumbup]

I agree with the others about the guitar volume being about right. I really enjoyed the story, which I can very much relate to here in my hometown.

The tune and performance was great, too. You have a very characteristic style and frasing that I like. The performances seem to glide along so incredibly easy and relaxed. I'm envious. I just came back from playing with my neighbor. I played her a new song I have just finished writing, and even though it was just me and her in the room, my nerves got in the way. You seem so cool, simply doing your thing.

Lars

Nicely done, MP!

To me the guitar was a higher mix than we generally hear, it was fine but gave more competition to the eq and tone of your voice.

And I was hoping someone would make faces in the window behind you! [biggrin] - must happen a lot.....

BluesKing777.

Again, I do appreciate all the kind words. The guitar volume kind of bothers me. It should be behind the vocal, not in front of it and to me it's almost in front. But, next time I'll just keep things where they usually are. I resisted for several years using an IPad with my music, but I must admit it's made some things easier. Plus, being able to record songs "live" is a huge plus.

BK, yeah, people do wave in the window at times. No one has flipped me the bird yet, so that's a good sign. [scared] The area is filled with college students and the college is about a block down the street, so it's usually a busy place. On top of them paying and feeding me, tips are real good and all the contact with people tied to the college has led to me playing in the Student Union several times over the last couple years. Real enjoyable stuff for me.

Lars, it is pretty easy and I'm pretty relaxed up there. Not because I've got a lot of talent, but because I don't mind performing in front of people. I was in a lot of plays and on debate teams in high school and college, so being in front of a lot of people doesn't bother me. Besides, most of the people watching me or anyone else in this forum perform can't even do it at the level I'm at, and if they can do it, they don't have the nerve to get up there. Just keep playing music with others and practicing. You're confidence will grow. And by all means, perform at "open mics" as often as you can. That can really help your confidence.

Yep, I like that a bunch, Larry. Mellow and evocative, just the way I like things.

I was hoping for a line about playing in the vacant lot before the coffee shop went in... ;)

Would love to stroll in one morning; couldn't imagine a better way to enjoy a cup. Bravo!

EA, I put an LR Baggs Lyric in it. Put one in my Koa AJ too. A real easy install. For coffeehouses I plug it into a Roland Cube Street Ex. I make the highs, meds, and bass all equal, no chorus, no reverb. The simpler I keep it, the better-off I am.

You folks are all too kind. If this was hard to do, I wouldn't be doing it. The more you play in public, the easier it gets. I don't know how relaxed I am, but to me it's kind of like practicing at home. If I blow a line or a chord I just keep going. Normally I don't miss stuff, because I'm singing songs that I know "by heart," and/or I've got the music in front of me. If I mess it up real bad I sometimes just stop and laugh and apologize. What the hell? I'm human, mostly. What really helped me is that through the years I've many times performed with people who are light years better than I am. I'm "okay" at the things I do, but they're great at everything they do. I've learned to find my niche and that's what I do. Storytelling is a big part of my music. If I had to depend on great guitar licks, I'd be up poop creek without a paddle.

The guitar volume seemed fine to me and don't discount your guitar playing, it's fine and dandy for the folksy genre. I'm no picker either. I always wish I could play better. It helps, but it's not a deal killer!

Archived