Gibson Brands Forums

Dented my LP: cool roadworn or I-shoud-fix-it?

brendan1

Straplocks on my 2013 Teaburst LP Standard failed, and down went the guitar to the rehearsal place floor. Luckily the damage was limited to a dent on the body, but it irritates me to hell right now. Does anybody have experience on fixing things like these?

Golden lesson here: don´t trust straplock (I used quality Gotoh locks) AND most importantly always be sure they are set in U - shape (prevents falldown if the lock fails).

post-77317-068278000 1463154258_thumb.png

How did the straplocks fail? That stinks but if it were me, I wouldn't fix it. You're bound to knock it on something again. I've got a bunch of dings in mine that I've accumulated over the past 10 years. I used to get upset about it, but if it happens now as long as the neck is okay and the guitar still works, I'm fine.

That, will depend on your personality...are you OCD, or more relaxed, about such things? [biggrin]

If you want/need "Pristine," keep it in the case, or a glass display case. If you want to actually PLAY

it, expect this kind of damage, as just part of the price of playing out. Value, of today's mass produced

Gibson's will never be anywhere close to the limited production of the 50's and early '60's Gibson's. So,

if you're worried about future "value,"...If it were me, I'd just play the Hell out of it, and take the

bumps and scratches, in style. But, we're all different. [biggrin]

CB

oh that so sucks!!

I'm also curious how did the strap locks fail?

in my experience with fixing cosmetic damages, that *is* fixable and it should not be terribly expensive.

the choice to run down someone to do it right is yours, if it was me, I'd probably at least get a rough idea of the cost to repair it.

once it's done, you may know it's there forever after but it wont be obvious.

The little clip attaching to the strap button was worn out. It is not a problem if the strap lock is in "U - position", mine was in "A - position" where the clip is doing all the holding.

How did the straplocks fail?

Ohh that's a pretty nasty one.. Im not sure if id try and repair it or not....

There are several vids on youtube though explaining how to do it

This method is for poly finished guitars. It's very different drop filling nitro.

I would leave it.

The little clip attaching to the strap button was worn out. It is not a problem if the strap lock is in "U - position", mine was in "A - position" where the clip is doing all the holding.

Ahh, I've never used one of those. Perhaps you could consider Dunlops. Dunlop straplocks don't have a U shaped design, it just clicks in and out. I've never had one of those fail on me.

I'm a very fussy owner but I don't think I'd repair it. Most used guitars you see on eBay and the like have something similar going on. A lot of people like that sort of thing....and some. Also, just imagine if you'd had it repaired and then something similar happened the next week. A second knock would be considered very much as being of character anyway.

PS. I had a Dunlop strap lock fail on the Charvel I recently sold. The large metal disc that's not supposed to go through the strap hole and slits did exaclty that. It was a thick suede strap too. Fortunately I was holding the guitar at the time and now I always make sure I do. Incidentally, I'd fitted a pair of those little plastic disc strap locks you can buy from the counter of the guitar shop to my SG. It had a very thick suede leather strap too. When I changed straps the other month (I wanted it for my hefty LP Signature) I noticed that the pressure of disc and strap had left a permanent circular shaped sheen in the nitro round the rear strap button. So much for strap locks protecting your guitar eh.....

Ha ha ha... that's a good question.

Fender will beat them up at the factory and charge you more for it!

I always find that ridiculous... I am quite capable of beating up my own guitar! I don't need someone to do it for me.

You know what looks worse than a bad ding?

An amateur repair.

Depends on your OCD level with cosmetic stuff.

Since we talk cosmetic, I would leave it as it is now part of your guitar history.

Genuine road-worn instruments are cool, relic ones not so...

Its a nasty ding but I would not fix it.

Why not wait a couple of months and review the option. During that time you must carry on playing it though!

Agree with these.

Annoying though...know the feeling too well!

Yikes, that is pretty nasty. I'd at least check on a fix. But there are a couple could have been worse things. It's down under the knobs and at least the neck/ headstock are still intact. I know how you feel though. I got a big chip on a Strat I had just bought maybe 2 months before. Made me sick for a few weeks but eventually I could ignore it. My new LP, well that would bug me

Get it touched up. Probably $300, and lesson learned. Get rid of the fancy stuff and drink a couple bottles of Grolsch to celebrate Your guitars rebirth. It's just lacquer and wood. People have been repairing bumps like that since Les invented them.

Archived