Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Murph

Windows10 Hi-Jack.......

Windows tried to force me into "10" this morning. Declining it took 15 minutes. (it had to re-install my previous version.....)

Am I the last holdout?

Does everybody like it better?

Whoops, gotta run, out of time.................

this week, 2 of my PCs did this.

one is the one I use in my studio, the other my main desktop..

I wasn't paying attention to it, and it just started the upgrade. (? Seriously ?)

the studio pc upgrade worked fine, the main desktop which started this morning, is like half done.

I'm not happy about this but there's no turning back at this point.

Been using Win10 since the upgrade was available (was using XP). Not had one problems so far. Easy to use although I turned all the app stuff and allowing access off. I don't use most of its services and generally stick to browsing.

My daughter has a touch-screen PC running W10 and I hate it with a rare passion.

I'm still in W7 mode and it does the job just fine. In fact it's much the same to do anything in W7 as it was with any other version I've used for the last 15 years or more.

Nothing about W10 is in 'The Right Place'. OK for a newcomer to the game but for dyed-in-the-wool Luddites like myself W10 on a touchscreen is a right royal PITA.

Pip.

i will not be upgrading. like discussed here in other posts, as a guitarist i love the cutting edge that is steeped in tradition ...lol give me brand new that is just like it was 40 years ago.

Windows 10 is a friggin' NIGHTMARE.

I had Win7. It worked ok mostly.

When the Win10 upgrade came out, it would not download/update properly.

I took PC to a tech who 'sorted' it for me. Big mistake.

I had to keep taking it back.

Frustrating waste of my time and money.

Now I have a 'new' HD that sometimes won't boot or read anything and a malfunctioning PC.

Win 10 won't update, doesn't even recognise MS pgms, USBs don't work.

EDIT - Toned down a bit!

Am I the last holdout?

Naw. Three ThinkPads at home still run XP, two HP EliteBooks run 7 and two MacBook Pros still run 10.5.something... some people are 'old school', I'm 'old operating system'. [laugh]

well I'm back after the update..

so far my PC seems to have survived this..

friggen microsoft.. "SLAP!"

Guest Farnsbarns

I think I'm in the minority here but W10 seems to me to be the best version of windows since xp. I love it.

Guest Farnsbarns

Yes, but the difference is that YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING, Farns.

[sneaky]

Pip.

Yes. Microsoft are to blame for people who can't or won't learn stuff. They should stop improving until everyone else learns to do so as well. [tongue]

Hello!

The last Microsoft product I have been using without being angry all the time, was the Microsoft QuickC in the 80s.

The XP was the least crappy operating system they did. I hate their products - sadly, I can't avoid using them.

Bence.

Saturday to be a rain out. I guess I'll turn on the Intel boxes and let them have at it.

How do I know it isn't counterfeit, like Winders 9.97 or something?

rct

How do I know it isn't counterfeit, like Winders 9.97 or something?

rct

If You can use it for 10 minutes without cursing, it's not a genuine Microsoft product.

Bence.

I'm still holding out on 8 or something on my Windows machine. It's a bit of a naff laptop and doesn't have a lot of gusto, so I don't think it would last long on 10 as everything seems to be so much more demanding on memory now.

Tempted to use the Win10 licence and put it in a VM, and then have it on my iMac instead in VirtualBox or something.

I tried it awhile ago on a laptop and my cursor was jumping around and lagging and driving me crazy. I tried a few fixes and then gave up and went back to 7. [unsure]

Yes. Microsoft are to blame for people who can't or won't learn stuff. They should stop improving until everyone else learns to do so as well.

Exactly!

I'm glad we agree 101.5% on this matter....[thumbup]

[smile]

Pip.

Windows 10 (for me) was an improvement over what I had on my studio desktop...Win 8.

I despised Windows 8 with a true burning hatred. Unfortunately Windows 7 was not an option at the time.

The only issue I've had with Windows 10 was an issue with a new video card that kept updating drivers automatically and everytime causing an operating system freeze.

Finally was able to disable the automatic update feature in the video card and things are smooth again.

Anyway, migrating to Mac bit by bit. Next major move is to transfer ProTools over to the Mac. Then all my important stuff is off Microsoft.

......Then all my important stuff is off Microsoft.

I like the sound of that.

As you note, Win 10 does a lot of deciding for you - which for me doesn't help.

I'm quite prepared to use it, if only it works....unfortunately I'm not a computer expert.